Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm wondering about the dynamics of applying to a job in the middle of a graduate degree. Without suggesting that I will complete my degree to employers. I'm saying to them that I'd rather have the job now than the full degree later. I'll just defer the degree or cancel it later on.

 

Thoughts?  I'm wondering if you do this strategically enough that employers would be willing to take you without having finished the full degree or if there's an inherent bias or problem with it.

 

Is it enough to just say 'I'm willing to defer commitments on my degree' etc in the CL for the employer?

Posted

Interesting situation. Do employers generally view deferring a graduate degree negatively, or does it mostly depend on how clearly you communicate your commitment to the role?

Posted (edited)

Employers will vary. Some will see a degree in progress as a positive, others may worry you won’t finish or might change direction later. Being clear in your cover letter that you’re prioritizing the job and willing to defer your degree helps, but focus more on the skills and value you bring right now.Company culture matters too.

Edited by wanessa
  • 5 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use