Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone! Im sure this has been asked a bunch at this point, but alas! Here I am.

I’m planning to apply for the HGSE Online Ed.M. in Education Leadership for the 2027 start (applying this coming Sept). I’ve always dreamed of an Ivy League education (I actually got into Columbia TC years ago but couldn't go for personal reasons) and I’m finally ready to go for it again.

I’d love to hear from anyone currently in the online program or those who have applied recently. How much does "years of experience" actually weigh against high academic stats?

I have a GPA: 3.88 Undergrad (Summa Cum Laude, English) | 3.97 Graduate (MAT in English).

• Experience: By enrollment, I’ll have ~4 years of experience in NYS.

• Certifications: Dual-certified in English 7-12 and FACS in New York State.

• Recommendations: Strong support from my current Department Head and co-workers and past mentors.

Am I too "green" for the online track? Should I be worried that I’m not tenured yet, or does my high Grad GPA and dual-cert help bridge that gap?

To those who got in: What was your "hook"?

To those who didn't: What feedback did you get (if any), or what would you change?

Thanks in advance for the reality check! 🥲

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

I am in the OEL program and set to graduate this May. I say go for it, we have a very diverse cohort and that is what makes the program so good.  Show them who you are in your application.  Show what you have to bring to the cohort and also what you can gain from it.  

Some people in my co-hort have Ph.Ds degrees (atleast one from Oxford), others are newer teachers but very interesting people, there is a huge spectrum of talent. 

 

I would recommend this next year trying for a leadership position, perhaps in a local club or organization, in the union, or sitting on the board of a non-profit.  That will help make the work more relevant and look good for your application. 

 

Edited by KellyKat
Posted

Thank you so so much for this answer! For the newer teachers, what is the amount of experience they have roughly? And are most of them in leadership positions or classroom teachers? 
 

I am very interested in the program to gain more experience with leadership in education but I’ll absolutely see what I can get into now to get some leadership experience.  

Posted
18 hours ago, Autumnlunaa1013 said:

Thank you so so much for this answer! For the newer teachers, what is the amount of experience they have roughly? And are most of them in leadership positions or classroom teachers? 

We have a very even split. We also have people in non-profits and other fields who think the degree would make sense for them.  There isn't really a magic formula in OEL I think they look for people who will help enhance the experience for everyone and bring good perspectives to the group. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use