The CUNY Graduate Center Liberal Studies MA

I'm applying to the CUNY Graduate Center's MA Program in Liberal Studies (MALS) because my interests are interdisciplinary and I'm not quite sure about pursuing my PhD at this point in time. I have explored the Liberal Studies program....I would be taking courses that are all taught by the Grad Center's renowned faculty and would be a stronger candidate for the PhD program in the future; with (hopefully) a stronger likelihood of funding for my doctorate. I would be interested in getting feedback from those who may be thinking about a MALS program in general or in these issues specifically.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot comment about your long term goals, but I'll share my story:.

I am 9 credits deep into the MALS program at Stony Brook (Traditional). I was a Political Science undergrad at Stony Brook and did well on my GRE. I thought about a number of programs for my MA: Poli-Sci, Philosophy, and History. I was accepted into the Philosophy MA program at Stony Brook and the History MA program at Queens College, but I chose MALS for a few reasons:

1. I ENJOY learning new things. While a focused Master program is also about learning new things, it is about learning those things in a very narrow area. This makes me anxious right now. Additionally, there is the expectation that one contributes to the field of knowledge in that subject area before graduating. I still feel I am coming from a position of taking from education as opposed to contributing to a body of knowledge. I am still curious, and I am in not really interested in narrowing my mind to one area just yet. Maybe one day I would like to teach, but nothing is really pressing me to work towards it right now.

2. I have a job with a 401K and make an OK living. I have a modest life, I don't chase after money, and am not wont to climb the corporate ladder. MBA grads are a dime-a-dozen these days and I am not keen on getting an over-specialized professional degree. These grads glut the market. Besides, I don't want to commit to one line of work. I disagree fundementally with education serving as a means to an end, but unfortunately this is the world in which we find ourselves. Specialization is a trap.

3. I tend to have an artistic and creative leaning. I paint and enjoy art. I don't particularly like rules in art, and I find this is an unfortunate casualty of art programs for degrees. I think it is far better for people to float in and out of art league classes, or take studio classes as a part of an multi-disciplined degree as opposed to pursuing a formalized studio education. Art is still an apprenticeship, and I am leery of being taught too much technique when it comes to art. Technique is also a trap.

I am lucky in that I do not have any children and can be somewhat leisurely in my education. Eventually, I will probably corner myself into a major for a second MA, but I have time yet. I plan to be a student for a while. This will sound cliché but I am learning so much about myself pursuing this degree. I have had to personally challenge myself, and take on some really deeply ingrained (and harmful) attitudes about education. I've had to call myself out on a lot self-righteous educational snobbery while all while learning some fascinating stuff and meeting real unpretentious graduate students. For this my MALS will forever be priceless.

Some people think an MALS is a "Master's Degree Lite" or consider it a waste of time from their hyper-focused perspective. I refuse to be sucked into that vortex of graduate school hype. Anyway, that is my soapbox. Maybe this helps you, perhaps it doesn't. I think the best way to pursue an MALS the way we are doing it (via CUNY or SUNY). Spend less. Especially since we both do not intend for this to be our last degree. I cannot see why anyone would pay so much money at Columbia or NSSR for an MALS, but that's just me.

Good Luck!

I'm applying to the CUNY Graduate Center's MA Program in Liberal Studies (MALS) because my interests are interdisciplinary and I'm not quite sure about pursuing my PhD at this point in time. I have explored the Liberal Studies program....I would be taking courses that are all taught by the Grad Center's renowned faculty and would be a stronger candidate for the PhD program in the future; with (hopefully) a stronger likelihood of funding for my doctorate. I would be interested in getting feedback from those who may be thinking about a MALS program in general or in these issues specifically.

If your interests are interdisciplinary, that's probably the right reason to do MALS. However, the Grad Center's faculty teach at the various other schools (I have had the pleasure of working with many of them at my CUNY school), so don't feel like you won't obtain that experience at other CUNY schools--a lot of the grad classes are taught by these faculty. Also, as far as funding: realistically, funding at CUNY is a difficult situation and I truly feel that you shouldn't get your hopes up for an added likelihood of funding because you are coming from CUNY. Many wonderful students who have been through CUNY don't receive funding. That said, teaching opportunities are pretty bountiful and help you pay off your degree, but it's a lot (LOT) of hard work.

I'm currently in the midst of my second semester in the CUNY MALS program. I had applied to English Ph.D. programs straight out of undergrad (with obvious unlikelihood of acceptance), and was referred to this program instead. I decided to do it (and consequentially move across the country) because CUNY has a wonderful Lit and History department, and for the cost of tuition, I personally think it's a steal.

For me, there are positives and negatives. I've mostly taken Ph.D. level English and History courses and they are difficult, rewarding, and academically inspiring. In terms of the MALS program itself - it can seem a bit disorganized and frustrating; like there isn't a whole lot of support for you as an individual student. As a MALS student you have to work harder to get Profs interested in what you're doing, and you may also feel a little isolated in some of the courses where all the other Ph.D.'s know each other from years of sharing the same plight. However, most of the people I've met have been very welcoming and friendly. Just my 2c. Have you heard back on your app yet?

I cannot comment about your long term goals, but I'll share my story:.

I am 9 credits deep into the MALS program at Stony Brook (Traditional). I was a Political Science undergrad at Stony Brook and did well on my GRE. I thought about a number of programs for my MA: Poli-Sci, Philosophy, and History. I was accepted into the Philosophy MA program at Stony Brook and the History MA program at Queens College, but I chose MALS for a few reasons:

1. I ENJOY learning new things. While a focused Master program is also about learning new things, it is about learning those things in a very narrow area. This makes me anxious right now. Additionally, there is the expectation that one contributes to the field of knowledge in that subject area before graduating. I still feel I am coming from a position of taking from education as opposed to contributing to a body of knowledge. I am still curious, and I am in not really interested in narrowing my mind to one area just yet. Maybe one day I would like to teach, but nothing is really pressing me to work towards it right now.

2. I have a job with a 401K and make an OK living. I have a modest life, I don't chase after money, and am not wont to climb the corporate ladder. MBA grads are a dime-a-dozen these days and I am not keen on getting an over-specialized professional degree. These grads glut the market. Besides, I don't want to commit to one line of work. I disagree fundementally with education serving as a means to an end, but unfortunately this is the world in which we find ourselves. Specialization is a trap.

3. I tend to have an artistic and creative leaning. I paint and enjoy art. I don't particularly like rules in art, and I find this is an unfortunate casualty of art programs for degrees. I think it is far better for people to float in and out of art league classes, or take studio classes as a part of an multi-disciplined degree as opposed to pursuing a formalized studio education. Art is still an apprenticeship, and I am leery of being taught too much technique when it comes to art. Technique is also a trap.

I am lucky in that I do not have any children and can be somewhat leisurely in my education. Eventually, I will probably corner myself into a major for a second MA, but I have time yet. I plan to be a student for a while. This will sound cliché but I am learning so much about myself pursuing this degree. I have had to personally challenge myself, and take on some really deeply ingrained (and harmful) attitudes about education. I've had to call myself out on a lot self-righteous educational snobbery while all while learning some fascinating stuff and meeting real unpretentious graduate students. For this my MALS will forever be priceless.

Some people think an MALS is a "Master's Degree Lite" or consider it a waste of time from their hyper-focused perspective. I refuse to be sucked into that vortex of graduate school hype. Anyway, that is my soapbox. Maybe this helps you, perhaps it doesn't. I think the best way to pursue an MALS the way we are doing it (via CUNY or SUNY). Spend less. Especially since we both do not intend for this to be our last degree. I cannot see why anyone would pay so much money at Columbia or NSSR for an MALS, but that's just me.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reply. After giving it much thouhght and after speaking with others and hearing positive expereinces like your ownm, I have decided to apply to the CUNY Graduate Center's MALS program. Thanks again for your insight and feeback.

• 5 months later...

If your interests are interdisciplinary, that's probably the right reason to do MALS. However, the Grad Center's faculty teach at the various other schools (I have had the pleasure of working with many of them at my CUNY school), so don't feel like you won't obtain that experience at other CUNY schools--a lot of the grad classes are taught by these faculty. Also, as far as funding: realistically, funding at CUNY is a difficult situation and I truly feel that you shouldn't get your hopes up for an added likelihood of funding because you are coming from CUNY. Many wonderful students who have been through CUNY don't receive funding. That said, teaching opportunities are pretty bountiful and help you pay off your degree, but it's a lot (LOT) of hard work.

Are you allowed to teach when you enter the MALS program? Do they offer you assistance in placement in CUNY system?

• 1 year later...

I've been exploring the CUNY Graduate Center offerings and I've been looking at the specializations within their Liberal Studies interdisciplinary master's program. I'm interested in Psychology and in gender studies but I don't think that my credentials are at the level right now for a doctoral program. The Grad Center's Liberal Studies MA Program offers a program in the Psychology of Work and Family and also in Women's and Gender Studies. I think one of those may be a good an option for me (demonstrate that I can do good work in graduate level courses, allow me to work with specific CUNY Psychology faculty, and the reasonable CUNY tuition costs cannnot be minimized either). Most of the faculty teaching in the program are also on their doctoral faculty and teach within the PHD programs so that is a clear benefit for someone like me who is not yet ready to take that step to a doctoral degree. I know that the CUNY Graduate Center is recognized as a place of scholarship and that the faculty are well known in their field. I would like to hear fron anyone who is also exploring the CUNY Grad Center's MALS program and other interdisciplinary programs in the NYC area.