Berkeley acceptance??

dreaming 1

I was wondering if anyone knew who posted the early Berkeley socio acceptance, 21st Jan by phone? The person put up some great GRE scores with it!

And if whoever posted it would be kind enough to share some details- anything about funding or visit days?

Has anyone else heard from Berkeley? Has anyone else around here applied there?? blink.gif

Thanks!

yeah i guess it holds with previous years on the results thread- there always seems to be someone notified ahead of the bunch! tongue.gif

so for me berkeley is absolute DREAM school, what are your guys' dream schools?

which profs did you say you hoped to work with? for me it was thorne and wacquant which i realise probably hindered my app as they are both quite big names in the dept! blink.gif

yeah i guess it holds with previous years on the results thread- there always seems to be someone notified ahead of the bunch! tongue.gif

which profs did you say you hoped to work with? for me it was thorne and wacquant which i realise probably hindered my app as they are both quite big names in the dept! blink.gif

Just FYI - Thorne is retiring soon. I'm not at Berkeley, but she told me during the admitted students visit last year that she would be retiring soon and stepping down in many of her duties in the meantime.

I put Thorne, Raka Ray, and Kristin Luker as my POIs. It is one of my top choices, but I wouldn't say it is my top of tops, lol. The cost of living is outrageous there, and who knows with all the UC mess if the fin aid is even good for admitted students. I guess only time will tell....

I put Thorne, Raka Ray, and Kristin Luker as my POIs. It is one of my top choices, but I wouldn't say it is my top of tops, lol. The cost of living is outrageous there, and who knows with all the UC mess if the fin aid is even good for admitted students. I guess only time will tell....

As far as I know, UCLA and UCB grad students have not felt any impact of the UC budget cuts (or much of one, anyway). Grad students are the workhorses on which research universities run. UC knows that if it stops getting the best ones, its status as a research powerhouse would quickly drop. And guarding the status of UCB and UCLA seems like the top priority for UC Regents.

Someone else just claimed a Berkeley acceptance on the results page. Is this one real? Any one here want to lay claim to it!?!?!

Yes, the second phone acceptance post was mine -- I got a call late yesterday evening from the chair of admissions telling me I was admitted and to expect funding information via email in the next 2-3 weeks. Their visitation is March 10-14. I'm absolutely thrilled.

So far there aren't any rejections up, so don't lose faith -- I'm sure more acceptances will be going out this week. Good luck!

Yes, the second phone acceptance post was mine -- I got a call late yesterday evening from the chair of admissions telling me I was admitted and to expect funding information via email in the next 2-3 weeks. Their visitation is March 10-14. I'm absolutely thrilled.

So far there aren't any rejections up, so don't lose faith -- I'm sure more acceptances will be going out this week. Good luck!

Did they mention any funding for the visitation? CONGRATS!

No, and I was so excited that I forgot to ask! They did say it's lined up to correspond with their graduate student conference (March 11th).

Do you mind revealing what your stats are? I'm not know why I'm obsessing over Berkeley. If I get in it will just throw all of my decisions for a loop, as it is such a great program, but I don't think its the best fit for me. Who knows what I will do. Oy vey!

Do you mind revealing what your stats are?

I went to Michigan for undergrad, had three majors (4.0 in sociology, 3.9 overall), my honors thesis won 3 writing awards, I have 3 conference presentations (1 solo-authored) but no publications, lots of research experience, and really crappy GRE scores (I did get a 5.5 on the writing, but my verbal/quant was not good at all).

Edited by aMoreBeautifulQuestion

I went to Michigan for undergrad, had three majors (4.0 in sociology, 3.9 overall), my honors thesis won 3 writing awards, I have 3 conference presentations (1 solo-authored) but no publications, lots of research experience, and really crappy GRE scores (I did get a 5.5 on the writing, but my verbal/quant was not good at all).

Congratulations! May I ask what your research interests are?

Thanks a lot, I'm thrilled. Congrats on your admits! :)

Broadly: gender and sexuality. I applied to work with Barrie Thorne, Kristin Luker, Ann Swidler, and Jennifer Johnson-Hanks.

Ah, I'm gender & sexuality too! Is Berkeley your top choice?

Ah, I'm gender & sexuality too! Is Berkeley your top choice?

Ah, so I gathered -- I like your femifist! :)

I am trying to stay open-minded here. I found out about Michigan and Berkeley on the same day (amazing!)... I currently work at Michigan and my partner is a graduate student here. There's a lot to weigh. But I'm definitely going to the admit weekend.

I get conflicting advice on whether it's a good idea to get your PhD from the same institution as college. But I think Michigan might be the best fit for me nonetheless.

That said, I'm sitting here watching 5 inches of snow pile onto our existing 8 and Berkeley is looking nicer and nicer...

What about you? What are your top choices?

Edited by aMoreBeautifulQuestion

Ah, so I gathered -- I like your femifist! :)

I am trying to stay open-minded here. I found out about Michigan and Berkeley on the same day (amazing!)... I currently work at Michigan and my partner is a graduate student here. There's a lot to weigh. But I'm definitely going to the admit weekend.

I get conflicting advice on whether it's a good idea to get your PhD from the same institution as college. But I think Michigan might be the best fit for me nonetheless.

That said, I'm sitting here watching 5 inches of snow pile onto our existing 8 and Berkeley is looking nicer and nicer...

What about you? What are your top choices?

Haha thanks for the compliment on my icon - I actually have it tatted on my chest :)

I'd say Northwestern is definitely my top choice, and I'd die if I got in there. However, UT-Austin & Indiana are my next two choices, so I already feel humbled & blessed for those admits. Berkeley is also my other top choice, though Thorne is supposedly retiring, and I don't know how strong their sexuality research is nowadays, but you know, it is Berkeley.

So awesome that you got in to Michigan & Berkeley on the same day!! I'm sure you are just elated!!

Haha thanks for the compliment on my icon - I actually have it tatted on my chest :)

I'd say Northwestern is definitely my top choice, and I'd die if I got in there. However, UT-Austin & Indiana are my next two choices, so I already feel humbled & blessed for those admits. Berkeley is also my other top choice, though Thorne is supposedly retiring, and I don't know how strong their sexuality research is nowadays, but you know, it is Berkeley.

So awesome that you got in to Michigan & Berkeley on the same day!! I'm sure you are just elated!!

I also feel incredibly fortunate. These last 24 hours have been wonderful. Big congrats to you on all your good news. It's amazing to even have a choice of such top programs. Wow.

My partner spent a summer in Austin and says it's amazing. She also applied there (not for soc) and still raves about the recruitment weekend.

Perhaps we'll meet at Northwestern's admit weekend? Fingers crossed for you!