Decision Time

labmouse

I think for some of us it's a clear choice of where to go. I'm having some serious difficulty with picking my final location. I've all but given up on RPI, and Concordia might take me off of the waiting list after I have to respond to everyone.

This leaves the actual schools that I got accepted to: SMFA, SVA, MCAD, Parsons and NYU.

NYU was not a compatible fit for me and gave no funding, so it's out.

Now, things aren't quite so obvious.

MCAD has teaching opportunities, lower cost of living and really nice facilities. I would have my own studio space, which is beneficial for when I do installations. I did not have any interactions with the faculty or mentors,even when I flew out to visit the school, which makes me very wary. I get a feeling like the admissions department was concealing something about the school, as I was only allowed to take a short tour, whereas the other schools were more generous with their time and allowing me to contact faculty. I'm not worried about the weather so much(I do have concerns about being snowed in for multiple days), but the school seemed really un-diverse, which bothers me.

SMFA also has teaching opportunities, is in Boston, a city that I know pretty well, the computer lab is okish, the studio spaces are nice, I have met with some of the faculty and the structure of program is interesting to me. SMFA is also tied to Tufts, giving me access to Tufts resources.

After this past week, I got more options that shakes things up.

Parsons has a great reputation and like SVA and NYU, is in New York which offers a lot of opportunities that the other cities might not have.

Parsons had a great grad community and the faculty that I met were interesting and candid. The program is strong and is slightly different than SVA. There seems to be a more technical and design focused edge to the program. The facilities for the program are a mixed bag. There is a large lounge-like space near the faculty offices that is kinda low tech, but would be good for meeting with other students, collaborating and there are large computer labs( Shared with the undergrads) in another building. Much like NYU and SVA, since these labs are not in some basement, they have windows, which is great, as someone who has been stuck in basements and windowless rooms. After my first semester I would be eligible to teach classes. Parsons has the highest tuition and the dorms are so expensive that I question whether I could live on my own and save more money.

SVA has all of its grad facilities on one floor.(I rather not trek all over the place) The community is great and I don't have to share resources with undergrads. SVA is much like Parsons, except they do not have teaching assistanceships and have pretty swank facilities. All of the computers are replaced every two years and the department looks like it is well funded. The dorms are less expensive than Parsons. My current school massively underfunds it art department. This situation is a large reason for me hesitating with schools that look a little neglected.

Any advice?

Parsons's is just too big an art school for my liking. I would go with SVA.

edit - Obviously this is only what I say based on instinct. I have no idea about the other schools but I did research Parsons and SVA before I applied. I chose SVA because like I said, Parsons looks like it takes a lot of students who can pay(based only on that) and quality might be compromised in the process. Ofcourse, these are just my opinions.

I think it depends on your goals for life after grad school. For me I'm really looking for teaching opportunities in grad school, so if a school doesn't really have those available I wouldn't go there. Also I guess like you I would be hesitant to go to a school where I haven't been able to interact with any of the professors (especially when it's so mentor intensive). Have you had any luck reaching/interacting with the faculty at MSAD since your acceptance to the program?

It's a hard decision you've got to make, personally I looked at MCAD and SMFA for graphic design. I decided not to apply to either program more for locational reason's then program reasons. I think of the two I liked SMFA much better. I don't really have an opinion on SVA and NYU. Although rumors I've been told by other faculty about NYU is that it is a "grad factory" (i.e. that's where they make their money).

My opinion is just that (an opinion) but here goes. Based on your analysis and your stated interests, it looks to me like it is down to SMFA or SVA. From there, it depends on what you want to be when you grow up. Personally, I would go with SMFA if I wanted to teach. And the truth for most of us is teaching is where we will end up anyway. The Tufts connection would be a big deal to me. This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it! Good luck and post what you decide. I'm having an equally difficult time deciding between SAIC and SVA (for MFA/photo).

Thank you Pointedears, Graphikchik and Portafoy!

I am having a tough time with deciding. One of my professors really likes MCAD, but when I called to try and get contact infor for professors or potential mentors, I once again have to go through the one person from admissions who does not like me for some reason. (I try and tell myself, he's super busy with the other graduate students, but I just get this bad feeling) Maybe tomorrow he'll get back with me.

Other than the phone/email tag, in the next week or two I should receive my financial aid offers from SMFA and SVA. SVA is definitely being mailed on Friday. SMFA doesn't know if it's this week or next and is disinclined to give further details. Although SMFA might have a great package, SVA had more approachable Fin Aid people. I need to give SVA an Answer by the 17th. Good News: Parsons is extending their deadline until May1st. Tomorrow I'll call SVA and see if they are doing anything similar. if so, then I can make a nice, calm decision without stressing myself out during finals.

I totally understand your dilemma. I got an offer with full funding from one school and an offer from (what used to be) my first choice, but funding info's not available for another 3 weeks! They want students to enroll before they know what the funding package is, if any. So I had to send one of those awkward emails asking the school to speed up the process. Regardless, I'm stumped on where to go. The 2 programs are sooo different, not to mention one's a year longer than the other and requires moving away from NYC, which I'm not really ready to do.

Good luck to everyone grappling with similarly tough decisions!

• 1 year later...

VCU's good reputation stems mostly from its sculpture department, which is awesome. Old profs of mine feel that the program is "not strong for painting and drawing". Those profs are representational artists with diverse backgrounds (one was on the graduate admissions committee at UPenn). When I walked right into the facility and looked at the work there in both undergrad and grad studios, it was a mixed bag: some representational portrait-y stuff in undergrad and some whimsical, imaginative stuff in the graduate racks. By imaginative I mean not drawn from life, kinda flat, and to me, uninspired, uninspiring, and bordering on trite. Tyler has better professors and better work coming out of it, the spouse of a friend of mine is an adjunct there. Philly is a lot better than Richmond, A LOT. Email a professor at Tyler and Richard Roth at VCU (he has an MFA from Tyler), I bet you can begin to get a sense of the programs through a couple of communique forays. Good luck!

Thanks alot for you're advice! I think im siding towards Tyler. Im applying from the uk so it's been tricky to get a decent measure of the programs. Im over this week for a gander at vcu and tyler and i think you're right about philly over richmond. Thanks again-that was a big help!

I applied to both VCU and Tyler, and if I were choosing between the two for Painting and Drawing I would definitely choose Tyler. They have a lot of good work coming out of the program, they just moved into brand new facilities, and Philadelphia itself has a lot going for it, too (growing art scene, great museums, and proximity to NYC). I do like the work coming out of VCU, but I've read some very mixed things about the program, and some folks I know who have visited were none too impressed (I'm afraid I don't know their specific reasoning)...and then you have Richmond...I can't speak to my own experience, as I have never been to the town itself, but between its small size, southern locale, and that the closest major city is DC, it just does not appeal at all. It doesn't seem like the city has much going on culturally beyond the University itself and maybe a small music scene. I guess that could be good if you want to sequester yourself and get a lot of work done, but personally I would much rather have easy access broader cultural activity.

You're visiting both, though, right? I think that'll tell you everything...you'll know what feels right. In the end you're choosing between two great programs, so any decision will be a good one.

Ok so, I am down to a tricky choice here. I got into Ohio University, University of Iowa, SUNY Purchase, and SUNY Newpaltz. First off, I am so thrilled to have been accepted into so many schools, but now I feel really stumped on where to go. When I applied to the University of Iowa and Ohio University, I didn't realize that they were 3 year programs. 3 years seems like a long time. I am a sculptor, doing somewhat large installation pieces that generally require access to welding and woodworking equipment- and space of course. I am from NYC and have pretty much lived here the whole 29 years of my life. My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years and for all intents and purposes are pretty much married (except for the fact that we don't currently live together). He says he will move with me, but obviously this would require him to find a job. He's lucky (and smart for not choosing art, ha ha) to have the work experience he has as well as an MBA which means that he is very hireable, however, who knows what the job market for market branding is like in Iowa or Ohio. Also we have a dog, which means that when we go anywhere for visits we have to drive- and there are things and people in NY that we have very strong ties to. That said, I'm kind of sick of NYC- super competitive, Chelsea obsessed, a hassle to get around, and expensive. I'm wondering if it's time for me to get out of my element and be in a completely new place.

Basically my choice has boiled down to 3 years in far away places, or 2 years staying relatively close to home. I have visited all 4 schools and I like them all for different reasons.

Here's my pros and cons:

U of Iowa pros: Amazing facilities... seriously amazing. Nice people, LOVED one of the professors. Nice town. Great school all around. CHEAP rents.

cons: No funding the first year- with no explicit promise of future funding. 3 years, which seems like a long time. It's too far away to drive to NYC. Not a lot of character.

Ohio U pros: Nice facilities. Great people, like a big family. Wonderful town, has character. Somewhat drivable to NYC. FULL FUNDING! Good TA opportunities. Pretty affordable rents.

cons: My actual studio would not be in the art building, and would therefore serve as a kind of storage space rather than a working space perhaps. 3 years. Isn't close to any bigger cities- Athens is a nice town, but it's smack dab in the middle of nowhere.

SUNY Purchase pros: Great facilities. Great people. Has character, and seems very active. Pretty cheap (for a NY resident). Has a reputation in "the scene" (maybe?). 2 years. Close to the folks I love. My boyfriend can keep his job, and I don't have to deal with the stress of him having to uproot his life.

cons: A bit too obsessed with NYC. Maybe a little too close to home. No nice college town surrounding it and therefore less of a community feel. Also, more expensive living costs.

SUNY Newpaltz pros: Ok facilities. Super nice people, nice community. Great town. Not too far from home, but comfortably far enough away that it isn't NYC obsessed. 2 years. Near full funding and therefore extremely cheap.

cons: The facilities seemed meager in comparison to the other schools. The departments seemed very separate, and not really interdisciplinary- no real mingling between the sculpture MFAs and other MFAs, which could be limiting. Doesn't have much of a reputation. Doesn't seem very active- there were only 3 sculpture MFA students.

Anyway, I could go on, but I've already written a book, so basically I'm just wondering what others know about these schools and the art communities around them, and also if a 3 year MFA is any better than a 2 year MFA. I'm so confused about the whole issue.

On top of that I still haven't heard from cranbrook. I seemingly haven't been rejected, as I was told that they still have my file, but they haven't notified me of any waitlist or acceptance either.

This is such a hard choice! I went and devised a way of evaluating each program based on factor I think are important. Then I rated each factor on a scale between -3 and 3 (-3 be abhorrent, 0 being neutral and 3 being excellent). then I tallied up the values to see what was the best choice for me. I'm not completely sold on it but its given me a way to look at things.

I doubled some values like facilities and growth because those particular aspects are really important to me. I'm wavering on the finance aspect, but the overall cost category includes tuition, fees, art supplies and supplemental things. In other words, its all inclusive.

School 1 Value School 2 Value School 3 Value

years 2 3 2 3 3 2

TA NO -1 some 1 YES 2

overall Cost 62K -2 52K -1 15.5K 3

visiting artists 3 2 -1

residency aspect 3 0 0

efficiency/facilities* -2 6 6

future contacts 3 2 1

type of growth* mentors 6 4 -2

location 3 3 3

curriculum flex. 1 core plus free 2 core-university wide 3

programs desire for me 2 3 0