(Re)application limits at policy schools

What, in general, is the standard policy with regards to (re)application limits at policy schools?

I ask because I've completed a round of applications, decided to defer, and was made a job offer during my year off that's hard to refuse.

For instance, I remember hearing 3 for HKS once, but I don't seem to be able to find the link supporting this. If this is the case, would this limit apply to applications to the entire university (including undergrad), or just the school in question? What about PhD programs (i.e. many applications for doctoral programs at policy schools are handled by the graduate school of arts & sciences at their respective universities; if I attend an MPP/MIA program the second time I apply to schools and later decide to get a PhD, would I only be allowed to apply once?)? Does withdrawing an application before the results are announced make that time not count, or is an application counted the moment it's submitted?

I realize that I've asked a ton of questions, for thanks for sticking with me. :)

Edited by greendiplomat