Admission acceptances/rejections already?

philosophy chic

I had thought that philosophy PhD programs didn't start sending out letters until late Feb at the earliest, but, much to my surprise, I had emails from both UC Davis and Vanderbilt in my inbox this morning. I was wondering if anyone had heard back from anywhere else (Notre Dame, Rutgers, Brown, WUSTL, Stanford, NYU, Harvard, UVA, Georgetown, Michigan (Ann Arbor), Wisconsin (Madison), Arizona State, Princeton, UNC, Emory, Pitt, or Cornell).

On 2/1/2011 at 12:28 PM, philosophy chic said:

I had thought that philosophy PhD programs didn't start sending out letters until late Feb at the earliest, but, much to my surprise, I had emails from both UC Davis and Vanderbilt in my inbox this morning. I was wondering if anyone had heard back from anywhere else (Notre Dame, Rutgers, Brown, WUSTL, Stanford, NYU, Harvard, UVA, Georgetown, Michigan (Ann Arbor), Wisconsin (Madison), Arizona State, Princeton, UNC, Emory, Pitt, or Cornell).

I offer my congratulations too! It must feel great to be accepted (and so early on!).

Although I only applied to two of your potential programs (Brown & Georgetown), I haven't heard back from either of them yet - from none of my schools actually. Don't know if it's like this for all other Philosophy PhD programs, but most of my deadlines were pretty late (Georgetown I'm pretty sure was the only deadline in December). So you may have to wait a little to start getting some responses from other admitted students.

Congrats! I got an email from Penn today--on the wait list. Have no idea what that means though. Haven't heard from Cornell (although their deadline was REALLY late), Michigan (also late) or Georgetown. Since I've been notified by Penn, I'm hoping/expecting to hear from Georgetown soonish too since they had the same deadline. *fingers crossed*

Edited by AChaturvedi

• 2 weeks later...

Someone over at the 'who_got_in' forum said that Notre Dame should be making decisions at the end of next week. Allegedly.

They rejected me yesterday actually.

I also got rejected from UW-Madison, but had an acceptance from San Francisco State Uni last week.

Theophilus, I saw that you are waitlisted at Baylor. I didn't know that they were making decisions like that so early. They have not contacted me, and my online application still says it is under review.

They rejected me yesterday actually.

I also got rejected from UW-Madison, but had an acceptance from San Francisco State Uni last week.

Theophilus, I saw that you are waitlisted at Baylor. I didn't know that they were making decisions like that so early. They have not contacted me, and my online application still says it is under review.

They invited the top 14 applicants to a preview weekend last month. They've made the initial round of offers and waitlisted everyone else. I would contact the department to see if you're still in the running. I'll be taking myself off the waitlist since I've been admitted to other places. I hope that helps you out.

They invited the top 14 applicants to a preview weekend last month. They've made the initial round of offers and waitlisted everyone else. I would contact the department to see if you're still in the running. I'll be taking myself off the waitlist since I've been admitted to other places. I hope that helps you out.

Hm, I see. Thanks for the response.

Johannes, I saw your mention of San Francisco State and got excited. I did both my BA and MA there, in philosophy, and absolutely loved it. Depending of course on your specific interests, it's a really awesome program. Great fellow grad students, great bunch of profs.