No.1, Ivy Leauge or Italy!! dilemma

zkhan

Really confused right now. I applied for a masters in CEE and got into

UIUC rank1/(2 in some rankings)

Cornell

Politecnico di Milano

Didnt get funding at UIUC or Cornell so thats alot of money which my dad wants to help out with but its going to be alot of stress and I really want to do this on my own.

Italy will be free and a really awsome experience. The programs in english, a two years masters after which I'll apply for a PhD in the states again or just finish up their. I'll know italian too :D.

My dad wants to help out because he thinks going to a recognized place like that will have a really really big impact on my career, which im sure it will, but I've pretty much decided I want to work at ADB or the World Bank and similar organizations, where the international aspect might be welcomed.

Also at cornell the MENG is a one year course which i think is really short.

I'll appreciate any feedback,

GL with ure respective apps

What does your gut say? I'd say in this instance, more than any I've read on this forum its important for you to follow the voice in your gut.

Sounds to me like I'd do Politecnico di Milano. IMO that experience will set you off when it comes to apply for PhD programs. Renaissance people always do better in application processes than normal stat guys.

Good luck!

I have heard that the standard of university education is lower in Europe than in the US from friends who have studied abroad (England excluded). I don't know about the Politecnico di Milano specifically, though. In how much detail have you looked at the academics there?

That said, living in Italy would be pretty awesome, and Italian is a beautiful language. Plus the food is great.

I would probably *not* get a Ph.D there, especially if you do come to decide that you want a career in academia in the US (minds change), but this is a master's degree. I'd go for Italy because it's free, you'll get unique insight into European perspectives (which are very important for understanding these international institutions) and your graduate experience will be FUN in a way that a CEE Ph.D stateside probably won't be. You're only young once.

Thnx for the replies. Yeah I've decided that Italy will be a good option for a two year masters followed by a PhD from a good US college.

I checked the courses, pretty much standard civil courses. I figured its an old discipline thats pretty much the same every where at the masters level (Structural mechanics and all). Once I think of a dissertation theme or some research I'm interested in then well funded larger programs will matter more for PhD.

But thanx again for the comments, got me thinking.

best

If it is in any way possible, I would go over there and see it. I'm not sure it will be possible, but I would think a lot before giving up the Cornell offer (which would no doubt be a very good and difficult program). Italy is really exciting, and when I was there I never wanted to leave (I ate two of those unbelievable thin pizzas a day, walked everywhere, and never gained an ounce), but you may want to look for info about the rankings of the Italian system, and find out a lot more about the program before giving up the US offer. Also--I was studying in England for awhile, and found the education over there to be very lax in comparison to US universities, and like Router, I have heard that it is even less rigorous in other parts of Europe. Many people I know have had this experience. Plus, in my experience abroad, everything is sort of self-scheduled, so if you are that kind of person, then great. I personally like a little more structure. That said, PhD programs are looking for interesting and diverse applicants, and I'm sure that my experiences across the pond made me stand out a bit in the piles of applications. This might very well be the case with you as well. Fluency in Italian is a pretty amazing accomplishment as well! :D I hope I will eventually make it there with French, but it is not looking good...

best of luck!

Thnx for your reply snagsby,

First hand experience like yours is really helpful, since I cant really go to see the program. I will definetly consider all my options seriously.

Actually in the the types of organizations I want to work, french is listed as one of the required languages but not italian, so I think if your into the international scene, french is a really strong language to have. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck with your decisions

Best

I would look at the placement records for the various programs where you have been admitted. If graduates from the Italian program are getting the kinds of job offers or higher education placements that you would be interested in pursuing after this degree, then I'd say go for Italy. It will be a life-changing experience, and one which will significantly differ from a program in the States. If the Italian grads are NOT getting the kinds of placements you hope to achieve, well then, you know what kind of odds you are up against if you decide on the Italian degree. Likewise, I'd look at what kinds of offers you could expect to get after the 1 year Cornell program and the other school you've been admitted to.

I am from Italy and I have a lot of friends at the Politecnico. They are really happy about the school, and a couple of them have succesfully applied to top US Phd programs with a MA from the politecnico. The ones who got a phd from politecnico and are now looking for a job abroad, are not having so much luck. So I guess the ideal thing would be to have a MA from there and then go back to the US for a phd.

Milan is a fun city, a bit gray and cold (yet, Ithaca is much worse)! The only problem is that the cost of living in Italy is crazy, and with the euro so high it will be even worse for Americans...

Anyway, good luck!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use