Please help me understand this email!

doobiebrothers

Hey guys!

I'm applying into a PhD program in History at a great school in my subfield, and my POI just sent me an email (in response to my status check) that went something like this:

(my name),

The admissions committee is meeting shortly and we will know more then. You have several potential mentors, professors X, Y, and myself, and all of us are extremely impressed with your application. You will also want to get in touch with professors Z and B.

I signed to the contract to become study center director of X in X country. Needless to say, the future is unclear.

best wishes,

Professor ohsofamous

Can you guys help me decipher this email? The professor who sent it to me is leaving for 2 years, and is the prof that I indicated in my SOP. I did not indicate any others. Should I contact them now?

Edited by doobiebrothers

Definitely familiarize yourself with the work of the other professors your POI mentioned and then contact them. Sounds like your POI is trying to find a place to put you since he/she can't take you him/herself. That seems like a really good sign, if they're willing to go out of their way for you like that. Also, "extremely impressed" is always a good thing to hear :)

Definitely familiarize yourself with the work of the other professors your POI mentioned and then contact them. Sounds like your POI is trying to find a place to put you since he/she can't take you him/herself. That seems like a really good sign, if they're willing to go out of their way for you like that. Also, "extremely impressed" is always a good thing to hear :)

Seconded. Sounds like the potential advisor said "hey, this applicant looks really good. It's a bad time for me, but you two colleagues, would you mind taking care of this person while I do my research and then I'll be the primary advisor when I come back?" Not only does this bode well for you, but it speaks to a really supportive atmosphere in the department. Lucky!

So, you are in (unless the other professors don't help, so you should politely help convince them of how cool you are). Congratulations!