CUNY?

lxs

I was recently accepted to a PhD program at the CUNY Graduate Center. The program was one of my top choices because the adviser I would be working there is a great fit. Their funding system, however, does seem kind of up in the air. Has anyone else been accepted at the Graduate Center? If so, I'm curious what, if any, financial offers you have been made. I visited the program and spoke with the DGS there - he told me that "most students receive some sort of funding" but it's still very unclear to me what I might actually be offered.

hey there-- i got in for english. everyone in the english dept gets teaching, if you want it, it seems-- although i was also told that most students get one class their first semester (that's a whopping $3700 or something) but i'd get 2 because i have college teaching experience. i'm waiting to hear about a fellowship-- wasn't offered one in the first round, but if the folks who were offered decline, then i might get one. thing is, i can't tell how much of a real financial difference a fellowship makes (in english at CUNY). but i'm really in love with their faculty, each and every one of them, so i'd probably just suck it up financially if i decide it's the best place for me.

I liked the grad center when I visited. the building is huge and really nice and you can't beat the location. i was only there for maybe 2 hours total, so I didn't take a tour or anything like that, but what I did see, I liked. honestly, from what I've heard their funding sounds terrible but like you, I'm in love with the faculty and as long as they give me something, I'll probably end up there anyway.

I will be at CUNY for the Criminal Justice PhD program in the fall. I have been at John Jay for the MA program for the past 2 years. It is really excellent. Of course, living in NYC is expensive and the studentships are decent (but not great for the location). However, based upon the faculty and the caliber of the program -- this was my number 1 choice.

If anyone has any questions about the school or NYC--- ask away........ :mrgreen:

Hey there! I got in for the Spanish Phd program at CUNY, but haven't heard a word on funding yet. Do you know when should we expect an answer???

Thank you

I've heard nothing yet. They really have to get on the ball with this. I'll be calling on Monday.

I got in there for History PhD. I really loved it when I visited. I was able to talk to some grad students, it seems like about half of entering students get money while the rest do not. But tuition is cheap, especially if you are n in-state resident. Furthermore, some of the students I talked to said that a part-time job provides enough money for school and living, and that CUNYis good at connecting you to jobs related to your field (i.e. archives). After the first year, I think most students teach within th CUNY system, which seems to cover expenses. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to choose a program I liked less but which has more money :cry:

• 2 years later...

I was recently accepted to a PhD program at the CUNY Graduate Center. The program was one of my top choices because the adviser I would be working there is a great fit. Their funding system, however, does seem kind of up in the air. Has anyone else been accepted at the Graduate Center? If so, I'm curious what, if any, financial offers you have been made. I visited the program and spoke with the DGS there - he told me that "most students receive some sort of funding" but it's still very unclear to me what I might actually be offered.

I was just accepted to a PhD program at the CUNY Graduate Center yesterday (applied April 15). Said I would hear from the office of financial aid if I received funding. Just curious if you ever heard from them?

Btw, if you did end up deciding to go to CUNY, hello to my future classmate!