UC Davis

borderlands

I was recently admitted to the Ph.D program in History at UC Davis (this morning). Is there anyone else that was admitted? If so, are you planning to visit? I'm new to this forum and my interests are borderlands U.S.-Mexico, transnational US & Latin American history, and native peoples.

I got an email from the chair of the graduate history program. It says I have been nominated for admissions to the Ph.D program; it has to be approved by the graduate school.

Funding details are still pending, but says that they should be able to fund fees & tuition as well as a living stipend for all Ph.D program admits.

Then I received a second email noting the recruitment weekend March 5-6th. Up to $200 of compensation for travel and provide lodging for that Satuday night.

Thanks for the congrats! I think it is quite early for admissions to UC Davis, gathering from previous years, folks have submitted acceptances later on this month. So, there is still hope for rsldonk and others who applied and are still waiting. We will hopefully be hearing from Berkeley soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So Davis... In looking through the admits and rejections from the past few years a trend emerges: those who posted their admittance usually did so during the first or second week of February. Rejections were regularly in mid-March and beyond. Some in the rejection camp even note being "not competitive." It seems odd to wait that long to send out a "not competitive" rejection. At this point I'd like to think that I fall somewhere between those two poles and I'd love to hear from others to see what you all think.

What are others experiencing with Davis this year? I think we only have one U.S. History admit this year (on the big board, with one Euro acceptance, one L.A. acceptance and one U.S. rejection), but I'd like to know if folks have been wait-listed or contacted about an admitted students' day. Any information would help.

As an aside, thank you all for keeping things positive. One guy who just got accepted to Princeton posted a really nasty message the other day and I was glad to see it taken down. If you are headed to NJ next year : 1) good for you, congrats; 2) look out for the guy that quotes Good Will Hunting w/o irony and cuts in line at Starbucks. He sounds awesome.

So Davis... In looking through the admits and rejections from the past few years a trend emerges: those who posted their admittance usually did so during the first or second week of February. Rejections were regularly in mid-March and beyond. Some in the rejection camp even note being "not competitive." It seems odd to wait that long to send out a "not competitive" rejection. At this point I'd like to think that I fall somewhere between those two poles and I'd love to hear from others to see what you all think.

What are others experiencing with Davis this year? I think we only have one U.S. History admit this year (on the big board, with one Euro acceptance, one L.A. acceptance and one U.S. rejection), but I'd like to know if folks have been wait-listed or contacted about an admitted students' day. Any information would help.

As an aside, thank you all for keeping things positive. One guy who just got accepted to Princeton posted a really nasty message the other day and I was glad to see it taken down. If you are headed to NJ next year : 1) good for you, congrats; 2) look out for the guy that quotes Good Will Hunting w/o irony and cuts in line at Starbucks. He sounds awesome.

I'm in the same boat in that I have yet to hear anything from Davis. It does seem silly to have that long of a gap, though. I would like to at least think that I have a competitive application for Modern Europe, but I assure you that if/when I hear something either way I will post it immediately.

I am in the exact same situation and have yet to hear from Davis. Watching those trends I don't think things are looking too good. Not that everyone who gets in uses gradcafe but it does seem that in the past there was early admissions and then the wait for rejections with nothing in between. The only thing that is making me think (hope, really) that there may be another round of admits is that there have been reported rejections already. I am curious as to why some have been rejected already and those of us have not heard a thing. I fear I will be one of those who has to call on April 1st and hear over the phone that it is a rejection, and one that didn't even deserve an email.

Thank you for the replies. Exactly. Not looking good, wanting to hold out hope, telling myself it is probably not worth the effort and angst to do so. How badly do you want to write to the DGS or Grad Secretary and ask but 'not want to be the guy' that gets bumped on an Excel spread sheet for impatience?

Where's the Magic Eight Ball when you need it? Signs point to...

I am in the exact same situation and have yet to hear from Davis. Watching those trends I don't think things are looking too good. Not that everyone who gets in uses gradcafe but it does seem that in the past there was early admissions and then the wait for rejections with nothing in between. The only thing that is making me think (hope, really) that there may be another round of admits is that there have been reported rejections already. I am curious as to why some have been rejected already and those of us have not heard a thing. I fear I will be one of those who has to call on April 1st and hear over the phone that it is a rejection, and one that didn't even deserve an email.

Edited by lilorangecup

I don't know if the following information applies to everyone but I got an email from them this morning.

Reads as follows,

Dear borderlands:

We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on March 2, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site. Please contact the History program if you have any questions regarding this decision.

Best regards,

Office of Graduate Admissions and Academic Services

University of California, Davis

Edited by borderlands

I don't know if the following information applies to everyone but I got an email from them this morning.

Reads as follows,

Dear borderlands:

We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on March 2, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site. Please contact the History program if you have any questions regarding this decision.

Best regards,

Office of Graduate Admissions and Academic Services

University of California, Davis

Thank you, it makes the wait easier knowing a possible end date.

Umm... where is the view messages tab? I hope I am not the only one who can not find this.

After you log in it should be in the left top part. Right under the tab "Home" and before "Instructions" and it is right in between.

There is nothing for me between "Home and "Instructions." Perhaps it is only there for the admitted?

After you log in it should be in the left top part. Right under the tab "Home" and before "Instructions" and it is right in between.

I emailed Davis and they said everyone should receive a decision within the next two weeks.

Thank you for taking one for the team. At least those of us with dwindling optimism can relax for a short time and maybe only check email once a day for the next week.