Gossip Re U Chicago

I'm currently a Chicago Phd student and I thought it could be both comforting to those who did not receive admission and encouraging to those who did to relate the fact that our English Phd program received over 600 applications this year, and are looking for a 10 person cohort.

To the person who responded above: Sorry to ask this, but how do you know you were rejected by Chicago? I have not heard anything from Chicago.

Have you read the rest of this thread? Accepted applicants were, we have it on good authority, notified last wee--so it's fairly clear that the rest of us are rejectamundo. We should hear by mail the week after next (mail going out at the end of next week).

I have read the thread. But I was asking Lyonessrampant if he/she knew for sure. I am assuming a rejection, but it would be nice to know if someone actually knew for sure. Some schools have two decision-making rounds.

As I said before, the info comes from one of my rec writers who checked with the adcom for me. I went to UC for my MA.If you don't have an MA, you may in addition to the Ph.D. rejection get an offer of admission to UC's MAPH program. Feel free to ask questions if that is the case; that's what I did.

Thanks for the information.

As I said before, the info comes from one of my rec writers who checked with the adcom for me. I went to UC for my MA.If you don't have an MA, you may in addition to the Ph.D. rejection get an offer of admission to UC's MAPH program. Feel free to ask questions if that is the case; that's what I did.

• 2 weeks later...

(reviving this thread)

It looks like there are some new paper rejections on the results board. I suppose we'll probably all know officially this week?

Where did all the acceptances go, though? Perhaps all the U-Chicago acceptees were all too confident to trouble themselves with gradcafe...

Hey Catherinian, I don't know if you've been following the thread, but I posted earlier about all the offers being out. One of my rec writers talked to the ad comm for me way back around Feb 15 and offers had been made previous to that. They refer a lot of apps to the MAPH program, so if you don't have an MA (and sometimes even if you do, which seems a little weird) you may get admitted to MAPH but not the Ph.D. Both the grad secretary I spoke to via email and my rec writer said that paper letters, i.e., official notification, would be mailed the end of the first week of March. They should be making their way out from Chicago as we wait. Edited to add good luck on any programs you're waiting on!

Edited by lyonessrampant

(reviving this thread)

It looks like there are some new paper rejections on the results board. I suppose we'll probably all know officially this week?

Where did all the acceptances go, though? Perhaps all the U-Chicago acceptees were all too confident to trouble themselves with gradcafe...

I saw the postings here that acceptances were all out, but I agree with you catherinian -- how is that there were so few acceptances posted on the results board, especially for Chicago which normally has a sizable cohort compared to other programs.

Where did you hear the cohort was big? Chicago used to admit about 20-25, but then in 2007 or 2008, they cut that cohort in half and now admit like 12 or so for a cohort of 8-10. I agree there weren't a lot of results posted, but that's not very many people really to be on GC. I think there were 3 or 4 posted, so that's probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the accepted field. . .

Where did you hear the cohort was big? Chicago used to admit about 20-25, but then in 2007 or 2008, they cut that cohort in half and now admit like 12 or so for a cohort of 8-10. I agree there weren't a lot of results posted, but that's not very many people really to be on GC. I think there were 3 or 4 posted, so that's probably 1/3 to 1/4 of the accepted field. . .

Comparatively, some of the other programs I have applied to take far fewer students (Brown for example took 5 this year) and I have run into some of them on the boards or at least seen results go up. I know it's not a given that people will be on GC, but I expected to see more than the two acceptances and no waitlists posted this year.

Wow. I didn't know Brown took only 5. Was that in the rejection? That sucks and makes me feel a little better about not getting in there. Comparatively, then, yeah Chicago's cohort is pretty big! I was told they had over 600 apps or those 10ish spots. Do you happen to know how many apps Brown got? Edited to add congrats on getting into Brown and Yale! The waitlist and Duke interview are awesome too!

Edited by lyonessrampant

Wow. I didn't know Brown took only 5. Was that in the rejection? That sucks and makes me feel a little better about not getting in there. Comparatively, then, yeah Chicago's cohort is pretty big! I was told they had over 600 apps or those 10ish spots. Do you happen to know how many apps Brown got? Edited to add congrats on getting into Brown and Yale! The waitlist and Duke interview are awesome too!

Oh, I was talking about Brown's American Civilization Program -- I only know that because the DGS has been in touch with all of us -- no idea on the total number of applications there. For some of the English programs I applied to though, I guess Chicago's numbers are about average. Doesn't UPenn normally do 12? I think that's what I heard this year... hm, don't know.

And thanks for the congrats, same to you! Now I have to decide, which is a lucky position I didn't expect to be in...and Duke still hasn't notified those of us who were interviewed, so the waiting game continues.

Hey Catherinian, I don't know if you've been following the thread, but I posted earlier about all the offers being out. One of my rec writers talked to the ad comm for me way back around Feb 15 and offers had been made previous to that. They refer a lot of apps to the MAPH program, so if you don't have an MA (and sometimes even if you do, which seems a little weird) you may get admitted to MAPH but not the Ph.D. Both the grad secretary I spoke to via email and my rec writer said that paper letters, i.e., official notification, would be mailed the end of the first week of March. They should be making their way out from Chicago as we wait. Edited to add good luck on any programs you're waiting on!

Yeah, I saw that (thanks for the information btw), but I'm just waiting on the official letter. I want to wrap up this whole waiting process and forget about it.

I so hear you on that. I don't understand why programs don't promptly notify rejections. I mean how hard is it to send out a mass email or something like that? They could also let the people know whose files have been referred to MAPH (which I'd guess a lot of people have been). Sigh. So ready for this whole process to be over so we can all move to the next phase of life!!!

Okay--no rejection letter yet, and I live in Texas. Further, I received an e-mail yesterday in response to my question about when to expect a decision. I was told that I would probably "hear from the Division" later this week or next week at some point. I am guessing this means my file was deferred to the MAPH program or that I was wait-listed?

Okay--no rejection letter yet, and I live in Texas. Further, I received an e-mail yesterday in response to my question about when to expect a decision. I was told that I would probably "hear from the Division" later this week or next week at some point. I am guessing this means my file was deferred to the MAPH program or that I was wait-listed?

I am in MA and have not received a rejection yet either, so I am wondering if my application has been referred to the MAPH program. Some sort of mass e-mail letting us know what's going on would be cool...

Good luck Cicada.

I am in MA and have not received a rejection yet either, so I am wondering if my application has been referred to the MAPH program. Some sort of mass e-mail letting us know what's going on would be cool...

Good luck Cicada.

I received a rejection letter here in London (U.K.) today. I specifically said I did not want to be considered for MAPH, because I already have an M.A. - so, I would think there's a good chance that your application has been referred, unless the mail in MA is super slow ;)

Good luck to you, too, QuentinComp. Any news today for you? As I said above, no letter for me today again.

Good luck Cicada.

Edited by cicada123