Carbondale, IL

LukeKY

I've been looking at Amtrak prices and times because of gas prices, the economy, state of the airlines, etc. It looks like if it's an indirect trip with a transfer in Chicago you'll also be waiting at stations all day. Not timely at all.

I've been looking at Amtrak prices and times because of gas prices, the economy, state of the airlines, etc. It looks like if it's an indirect trip with a transfer in Chicago you'll also be waiting at stations all day. Not timely at all.

I'd suggest booking Amtrak segments separately (Chicago to Champaign and from there to C'dale). The same if you leave from another city to Chicago to catch Illini or Saluki trains. That would make it cheaper (although it should be basically the other way around). And if you have Student Advantage card, you get a 15% discount. My first trip from Chicago to C'dale and back cost me about $50.

Delays could be hassleful sometimes. Over my first trip, we were waiting in Champaign for about 2 hours without getting any explanation that made sense.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I'm finishing up my MA and leaving Carbondale this spring. If anyone is planning on moving here and needs some information feel free to message me or send me an email. I've been here two years and am more than happy to answer any questions.

I am not a student, but I am seeking some information that I can't seem to find in other places. I am a disabled (visually impaired) man, trying to find a decent place to live that I can afford. I have been referred to the Carbondale Towers, which are for the elderly and disabled. I was wondering if anybody here knew anything about this place. I have heard and read mixed reviews. Some claim that it's a decent, safe place to live, others claim that sometimes it could be dangerous due to harassment and worse. I don't have many options, and I have looked into just about every resource I could find with not much help. So, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this place if anybody knows anything about it.

• 11 months later...

I was accepted to a master's program at SIUC so I'll be moving to Carbondale in August.

Does anyone know anything about renting houses (as in prices)? I can't live in an apartment because I have a big dog and I need a yard for him to run around in while I'm away.

• 2 years later...

I lived in Cdale for roughly seven years, and can recommend a few places.

As far as housing goes, go out of your way to avoid Home Rentals (the company). They are pretty well the most notorious slum lords of Carbondale, and in all my years in Cdale, I have yet to hear a good story from anyone who rented through them.

A rented a 2 bedroom house for 3 years though Compton Rentals; Dave Compton was a really stand up guy, and if we ever had any problems with the house (which we rarely did), he was usually able to come out same day and fix it. That was about 700 a month, with utilities being pretty cheap- propane gas though, so if you ran your heat a lot in the winter, you'd end up paying for it.

If you are looking for a quiet area, maybe try S Oakland Ave. That is really close to the campus, particularly the law school. Many professors live in that area, but you can find some house rentals that are reasonably priced and nice and quiet. Also check out S Wall Street, south of East Grand Ave. Avoid the two apartment buildings (The Quads), but the houses on that road at cheap and moderately secluded, and still right across from campus.

Avoid Cherry St and College St, generally. Those are heavy student housing areas, and tend towards the party crowd.

Maybe check out Pleasant Hill rd, you might be able to find something there, but that is pushing the limits on carless commute.

House prices range from about 650 to 1200, depending on the size of the house. Most two bedroom places are around 700. If you look around, you can find bigger for a decent price. I lived in a 4 bedroom place that ended up being 1000 total, so with three other people, that made for cheap living.

Hope this helps!

I am not a student, but I am seeking some information that I can't seem to find in other places. I am a disabled (visually impaired) man, trying to find a decent place to live that I can afford. I have been referred to the Carbondale Towers, which are for the elderly and disabled. I was wondering if anybody here knew anything about this place. I have heard and read mixed reviews. Some claim that it's a decent, safe place to live, others claim that sometimes it could be dangerous due to harassment and worse. I don't have many options, and I have looked into just about every resource I could find with not much help. So, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this place if anybody knows anything about it.

I don't know too terribly much about this place, sadly. It is really well located, literally right across the street from Campus. Close to the business colleges and the Communication Building. I could see some harassment issues from the students, though. It is right on Mill street, which is pretty much the border of the student housing/party area. Everything behind the Carbondale Towers is that area. Generally, I have never had much along the lines of problems with the drunk students. Just know that around 1030-11PM a bunch of students will be passing through to go to the bars, and between 2 and 3AM a bunch of students will be coming home from the bars. You have some frat houses nearby, too, but I think those are a couple of blocks in from the Towers, so I think you'll be okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone lived in University Village? it seems like a pretty sweet place

While I haven't lived there I did check them out when I visited. It seemed like there were a lot of undergrads there and honestly the rent is a little on the high side for Carbondale, but you basically are paying to live in an apartment that has been renovated recently or will be renovated soon. With that said I know they switched management companies recently and the apts were formerly known as Lewis Park apts. They have pretty bad reviews on apartmentratings.com, but obviously with management changes they may honestly be wanting to change.

• 11 months later...

University Village used to be Lewis Park... and you couldn't pay me to live there. Stay away from St. Germain Square, Metropolitan, Saluki Apartments, Park Place East, Carbondale Towers, and anything on College or Cherry Streets.

Try apartment complexes like G&R Rentals (which has 1-bedrooms), The Point, and The Reserves. These are more expensive than University Village, but they take better care of their students and they are quieter and nicer. I think The Point and The Reserves are 2-bedroom and larger. Westbrook has a graduate village and looks really nice and quiet. Alpha rentals has tons of apartments and houses scattered all over town, and they seem to be pretty good. My friends like them.

If you're willing to go out about a 5-10 minute drive out of town toward Carterville, there are some cheap apartments!

• 4 weeks later...

We live ten minutes south of campus in a nice neighborhood of duplexes called Rolling Meadows apts.  Landlord (older man) is brusque but quick to respond to any issues.  We've lived here for three years without any problem.  Very quiet neighborhood, but it's near nothing except a school.

I definitely recommend a car, although limited bus service exists, both school sanctioned and public city transit is lacking.  Thankfully transit is cheap (Saluki express included in student fees) and one dollar per ride for not students.  There is a nice daycare center behind campus for parents called Rainbow's End.

If you need to live near campus, I recommend The Metropolitan and Ambassador Hall (recently renovated) though there will be a lot of undergrads.  There are also a number of cute houses for rent near campus but it's mixed with undergrads so "partying weekends" (homecoming, St. Patick's, etc.) tend to result in sleepless nights.  Evergreen Terrace (SIU family housing) is very popular, especially with international students.  Cost is very reasonable and is great for people with young children-- school bus pick up on site.

Regarding the culture of Carbondale:  For a small town, it has a fair bit going on.  The SIU theatre works hard to bring in national shows (we saw Spring Awakening) along with a variety of other shows (circuses, stomp!) and local theatre, chorale, and dance performances on and off campus.  I'm not generally one for night life but it is bountiful within walking distance of campus.  Be prepared to see all of the undergrads you teach.  I enjoy making a trip to St. Louis (a short 2 hours west) at least once a semester for shopping (Galleria Mall, Trader Joes, Container Store) or for cultural purposes (Fox Theatre highly recommended.)  For those of you who are outdoorsy, Southern Illinois is a beautiful place for a nature lover.  Tons of hiking, especially at Giant City which is a 20 minute drive from campus.  (If you can't go that far, you can hike around the campus lake).  Finally, there are quite a few vineyards and B&B's in the area which can be a fun weekend outing or day excursion.

If you want more information, I'd be happy to answer other C-Dale questions.

• 7 months later...

Thinking of applying here for the fall - looks like my stipend will be around $12k/yr. Is that livable, do you think?

Don't live right in town... go out just a little ways, 10-15 minutes from campus. You can get a decent 1-bedroom for about $400 a month farther out. G&R Rentals is a little expensive in town, but some of their properties farther out are cheaper and they are very good about upkeep.

If you're required to pay fees to the school, that's gonna hurt, so you may want to be applying for scholarships and grants.

Edited by biotechie

Thanks for the reply, Mocha!

What are the prospects for finding a job within, say, half an hour's drive of Carbondale? That stipend feels awfully slight, and I'd love to be able to supplement it with something if possible, but I'm worried because the surrounding area looks so rural. :/

Edited by TonyB79

Thanks for the reply, Mocha!

What are the prospects for finding a job within, say, half an hour's drive of Carbondale? That stipend feels awfully slight, and I'd love to be able to supplement it with something if possible, but I'm worried because the surrounding area looks so rural. :/

Geo is right. I survived just fine on my stipend. However, you can probably find a part-time job in and around Carbondale if you want to. We have a small (sometimes dying) mall and a ton of restaurants and cafes. People are always looking for someone to proofread their stuff if you're just wanting odd jobs, or you could work just about anywhere. Some programs might not want you to work outside of the stipend, so make sure you find out.

It is very rural, but there are some beautiful places to hike and explore. I love it there, and I can't wait to go back to SoIL.

Edited by biotechie

Hello...

the university sports programs are pretty strong. basketball is the biggest, but the football team has been a perennial I-AA powerhouse for the past 4-5 years. the baseball team is decent, but in a fairly small conference. there is also a Frontier League minor league baseball team.

-------------------

spam link removed here -- fuzzy

Erm.... Our basketball team was last amazing when they went to the Sweet 16 in spring 2007. Since then, they've not made it past the MVC spring conference. There's a new coach, in his second season, so maybe they'll improve, but it will take a while. Our football team has made it to playoffs several times in the past few years, but there has been a decline in the team the past 3 or so years. They're not sure if they football team is going to playoffs or not this year; it depends on the results of other teams' games, today. Games are fun to attend, though. I went to every football game while I was there and nearly all of the men's and women's basketball games.

Edited by fuzzylogician
spam-edit

• 1 month later...

Carbondale is definitely a redneck kinda place.  The campus if beautiful.  I went there for undergrad and graduate school a few years ago and the parties were still running strong.  Very midwestern, small town feel.  There is a significant influx of students (undergrad mostly?) that come from Chicago....  The teaching of the faculty is top-notch.  I have to say I am shocked by some posters who say that the sports teams are good -- they definitely were not when I attended....but I know that in recent years they have done well in the NCAA basketball tournaments.

Oh...MFA, I went there for MA in Rhet. Comp. quite a few years ago.  The MFA program was pretty strong when I attended, but it was also pretty clicky from what I remember.  But I attended many moons ago, so I am sure much has changed.  If you go, say hello to the smokers outside on the balcony of Faner Hall:-) ---JK!  Good Times!

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this topic to ask for advice! I have an offer from SIU this year, and while the program sounds lovely, I'm... a teeny bit nervous about moving to such a small town. To put it in context, I'm from Kolkata, India, which has a population of 4.1 million. So you can see how this is going to be a......... drastic change.

I'd also love it if anyone could recommend some good apartments that are close to campus, or give me any housing advice at all, really. I'm trying to explore all my options, but it's hard when you can't visit the place in person before term starts, or actually check out the apartments for yourself!

Resurrecting this topic to ask for advice! I have an offer from SIU this year, and while the program sounds lovely, I'm... a teeny bit nervous about moving to such a small town. To put it in context, I'm from Kolkata, India, which has a population of 4.1 million. So you can see how this is going to be a......... drastic change.

I'd also love it if anyone could recommend some good apartments that are close to campus, or give me any housing advice at all, really. I'm trying to explore all my options, but it's hard when you can't visit the place in person before term starts, or actually check out the apartments for yourself!