When will the other schools start giving notifications for Ph.D.?

Ujjawal

Hello everyone, Does someone here in the forum know about what time some other famous schools like ASU,NCSU,OSU,UVA will start giving notifications regarding admissions??

Just search the survey on this site for the results from those schools from last year.

So from last year,The first acceptances from those school's CS Phd programs were on:

ASU - Feb 20

NCSU - Feb 10 (there was a rejection on Feb 2)

OSU - Feb 12

UVA - March 12, although there have been acceptances already for this year.

Remember that these are just dates that applicants have reported themselves and that the schools may not follow the same pattern this year.

Edited by newms

Just search the survey on this site for the results from those schools from last year.

So from last year,The first acceptances from those school's CS Phd programs were on:

ASU - Feb 20

NCSU - Feb 10 (there was a rejection on Feb 2)

OSU - Feb 12

UVA - March 12, although there have been acceptances already for this year.

Remember that these are just dates that applicants have reported themselves and that the schools may not follow the same pattern this year.

Ya thanks newms, actually I received a rejection from NCSU last night. Should i be hopeful on others?

my m.s. GPA is 3.92 no publications but assisting a professor in her research. GRE-1310 and TOEFL-104.

Still they mentioned in their rejection that "Their decision was based on the requirements of their particular program, the qualifications and performance of students currently studying in the program, and the number of new students that the program can accommodate and support. I concur with their decision and must therefore deny your admission."

What do you think that my stats are too low for such kind of a school??

Ya thanks newms, actually I received a rejection from NCSU last night. Should i be hopeful on others?

my m.s. GPA is 3.92 no publications but assisting a professor in her research. GRE-1310 and TOEFL-104.

Still they mentioned in their rejection that "Their decision was based on the requirements of their particular program, the qualifications and performance of students currently studying in the program, and the number of new students that the program can accommodate and support. I concur with their decision and must therefore deny your admission."

What do you think that my stats are too low for such kind of a school??

The stats that you have there look ok for those schools - how's your undergrad GPA? Stats aren't everything when it comes to PhD admissions - the most important thing they consider is your potential to do research, so your statement of purpose and your letters of recommendation are very important.

The stats that you have there look ok for those schools - how's your undergrad GPA? Stats aren't everything when it comes to PhD admissions - the most important thing they consider is your potential to do research, so your statement of purpose and your letters of recommendation are very important.

I had 1 LOR from the professor whom I am assisting, I from my head of the dept, and one from the ex-Dean of my college.

I have studied under all three of them. They agreed to write a fairly well recommendation. But they are not internationally reknown professors.

and my undergraduate GPA is 3.0 but my major was physics and my M.S. is in Computer science but its from an indian university.

But the university is internationally reknown so that should not be a problem.

I suppose my head of the dept might have messed up the LOR because he submitted it only 5 minutes before the deadline.

I had 1 LOR from the professor whom I am assisting, I from my head of the dept, and one from the ex-Dean of my college.

I have studied under all three of them. They agreed to write a fairly well recommendation. But they are not internationally reknown professors.

and my undergraduate GPA is 3.0 but my major was physics and my M.S. is in Computer science but its from an indian university.

But the university is internationally reknown so that should not be a problem.

I suppose my head of the dept might have messed up the LOR because he submitted it only 5 minutes before the deadline.

The LOR being submitted 5 minutes before the deadline wouldn't be a problem. They might have concerns about your undergrad, since your background is in Physics and a 3.0 GPA is at the border of what schools look for. At this point it really is useless to speculate on why they didn't give you an admit at NCSU, all you can do is hope for the best at the other schools. Good luck!

The LOR being submitted 5 minutes before the deadline wouldn't be a problem. They might have concerns about your undergrad, since your background is in Physics and a 3.0 GPA is at the border of what schools look for. At this point it really is useless to speculate on why they didn't give you an admit at NCSU, all you can do is hope for the best at the other schools. Good luck!

Thank you newms its been really nice to talk to you. and yes there is no point now discussing about the issue.

lets hope for the best. good luck to you too.

I have a final question if it does not annoy you.

If i get admitted in some school for M.S. and if I may want to apply the next year again for Ph.D. without completing the M.S. is it possible?

Edited by Ujjawal

Ujjawal, sorry to reply here but I think maybe this would help other people, some way or another.

I did get an acceptance from UVA on February 4th, so I know that some decisions are in.

They have an open weekend on the 24th but you probably wouldn't be able to attend anyway (I understand you're from India, right?).

OK, so my profile wasn't quantitatively stellar (as in all maximums), but I believe I had an awesome SOP with a really cool research idea (that may or may not become reality, but which I would like to become reality, as I said in my SOP too) as well as 3 amazing LORs, 2 from people that were pretty well known (they were well known at at least two universities where I spoke with professors, so I assume they are well known; they are also very well published) and the third from a professor at my college (small liberal arts college) that pretty much loves me too

These are the things that really matter in an application, and these are the things you really can't quantify.

My stats were:

GRE: Q - 750; V - 670; AW - 5.0

GPA: 3.63/4.0 (actually I think my transcript last semester was 3.62 but it doesn't matter)

Research experience: 2 REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates) + a paid summer internship in the same lab I did my first REU, as well as research lab assistant for a year in a lab at my college

Publications: 0, but 2 are being prepared as we speak (I only said this to some schools, I don't remember if I said that to UVA)

Other: I had some poster presentations, some at my school, some at the end of the REUs, and one at the university where I did my first REU after the REU

About the master, I don't really know if that is a wise choice. If you want to accept a masters offer, you should check with the university if they would offer you the opportunity to move to PhD track after a year. I don't think other universities would view an incomplete masters positively.

Edited by adinutzyc

@adinutzyc

You applied to 16 schools!!! wow! that's a LOT of work!

I also have not heard about fin aid from UVA yet. Are you trying to work with Jason Lawrence? I'm interested in gpgpu's and Dr. Skadron's work in parallel programming and cpu-gpu convergence.

Yeah, I applied to 16 schools... spent all winter break writing applications, not to mention begging my recommenders to submit 16 LORs.... Probably overdid it..

Are you coming to the CS Weekend? I just got my flight reservation and am pretty excited! :)

Yes, I am mainly interested in working with Jason Lawrence. I am also interested in the Computer Vision stuff right now though.

The GPGPU project seems really cool too! I actually went to a lecture about something like that last summer!

Ujjawal, sorry to reply here but I think maybe this would help other people, some way or another.

I did get an acceptance from UVA on February 4th, so I know that some decisions are in.

They have an open weekend on the 24th but you probably wouldn't be able to attend anyway (I understand you're from India, right?).

OK, so my profile wasn't quantitatively stellar (as in all maximums), but I believe I had an awesome SOP with a really cool research idea (that may or may not become reality, but which I would like to become reality, as I said in my SOP too) as well as 3 amazing LORs, 2 from people that were pretty well known (they were well known at at least two universities where I spoke with professors, so I assume they are well known; they are also very well published) and the third from a professor at my college (small liberal arts college) that pretty much loves me too

These are the things that really matter in an application, and these are the things you really can't quantify.

My stats were:

GRE: Q - 750; V - 670; AW - 5.0

GPA: 3.63/4.0 (actually I think my transcript last semester was 3.62 but it doesn't matter)

Research experience: 2 REUs (Research Experience for Undergraduates) + a paid summer internship in the same lab I did my first REU, as well as research lab assistant for a year in a lab at my college

Publications: 0, but 2 are being prepared as we speak (I only said this to some schools, I don't remember if I said that to UVA)

Other: I had some poster presentations, some at my school, some at the end of the REUs, and one at the university where I did my first REU after the REU

About the master, I don't really know if that is a wise choice. If you want to accept a masters offer, you should check with the university if they would offer you the opportunity to move to PhD track after a year. I don't think other universities would view an incomplete masters positively.

Thanks adinutzyc, Its really nice of you for considering my request. Actually i had done my M.S. in india and had already done 6 years of college so I am not very inclined towards doing an M.S. again. But I want to do Ph.D. and I am very passionate about it. My goal is to become an academician. So i can do only two things 1) be hopeful for getting admit this year. 2) apply next year again with some research experience.

But the latter idea is not very wise one because in india we don't get much research opportunities. And if I start working at an industry then it will be impossible to do any independent research.

So i can just hope for the best that i get admitted this year.

Anyways congratulations to you and fangsout.

Ujjawal, I'm going to step on your post a little because I'm not brave enough to start my own "what do you think about me?" Plus if I hide this here, it is less likely someone who knows me in RL will just happen to stumble by (and I can easily be identified by the following) and mildly abuse me for worrying.

Negatives...

Non-CS undergrad 3.36 from a top 1200 (?) school - taking into account grades from the 80s, it drops just below 3

600 Quan 610 Verb

Positives

I'm published at a minor conference for the work below.

Letter of recommendations from two local rock star professors (one especially shiny letter) and a rock star post-doc

I've worked in a lab at this school for about a year (as a volunteer) for one of these rock star professors who knows everything that follows.

I've developed a solution that is currently registering at about four times better than anything that's been published (if I tell the metric, then it will really be clear who I am). We are running experiments that are leading me to believe it is closer to ten times better.

I've recently been a finalist in a contest comparing solutions from all over campus (physics, chemistry, psychology, etc) and all of the finalist (except me of course) were senior PhD students. Much of it was their thesis work.

I'm in the process of having a patent awarded for this work.

Whadda you think?

I'd take you! Did you only apply to GATech?

I think you should have retaken the GREs though... you would have stood a way better chance with an above 700 for quant... some schools might not look at someone who has a below 700 there, though as far as I know GATech isn't one of them.

Ujjawal, I'm going to step on your post a little because I'm not brave enough to start my own "what do you think about me?" Plus if I hide this here, it is less likely someone who knows me in RL will just happen to stumble by (and I can easily be identified by the following) and mildly abuse me for worrying.

Negatives...

Non-CS undergrad 3.36 from a top 1200 (?) school - taking into account grades from the 80s, it drops just below 3

600 Quan 610 Verb

Positives

I'm published at a minor conference for the work below.

Letter of recommendations from two local rock star professors (one especially shiny letter) and a rock star post-doc

I've worked in a lab at this school for about a year (as a volunteer) for one of these rock star professors who knows everything that follows.

I've developed a solution that is currently registering at about four times better than anything that's been published (if I tell the metric, then it will really be clear who I am). We are running experiments that are leading me to believe it is closer to ten times better.

I've recently been a finalist in a contest comparing solutions from all over campus (physics, chemistry, psychology, etc) and all of the finalist (except me of course) were senior PhD students. Much of it was their thesis work.

I'm in the process of having a patent awarded for this work.

Whadda you think?

To be honest with you, I think you stand next to zero chance to get into a Ph D of any of the top 30 schools.

The work that you work on might be very good, but there are high risk factors written all over your profile.

Your gpa is too low, your reputation seems to come from 'local source' as you mentioned, you graduated too long (the 80s) ago,

and how would a study in Ph D help you if you can do well in the current situation that you are already in?

Lastly your GRE is just way too low for the quantitative part. Most schools don't look at your application if your quantitative GRE is below 700. (at top schools, it's probably 750)

Having said that, I don't want to discourage you and if you can get to 750+ on GRE quantitative, you will have some chance at some school in the 25-35.

People that I know judge applicants when they see application with sub780 on quantitative part.

You are kind of in my situation since I have done work that has way better results than that of people in the academia and industry,

it played considerable part into making a few people becoming multi-millionaire (but not me :() so I want to do it myself now

and the sole purpose of my graduate studies is to be able to do my independent research.

PS: If it makes you feel better LOL

I still got rejected from my top choice even though my stats, undergrad school's reputation and other things are quite good.

Well, they still think I am not good enough sigh..

Just to show how very important it is to get a text-book style profile with near perfect stats.. :(

Edited by Dallas

To be honest with you, I think you stand next to zero chance to get into a Ph D of any of the top 30 schools.

The work that you work on might be very good, but there are high risk factors written all over your profile.

Your gpa is too low, your reputation seems to come from 'local source' as you mentioned, you graduated too long (the 80s) ago,

and how would a study in Ph D help you if you can do well in the current situation that you are already in?

Lastly your GRE is just way too low for the quantitative part. Most schools don't look at your application if your quantitative GRE is below 700. (at top schools, it's probably 750)

Having said that, I don't want to discourage you and if you can get to 750+ on GRE quantitative, you will have some chance at some school in the 25-35.

People that I know judge applicants when they see application with sub780 on quantitative part.

You are kind of in my situation since I have done work that has way better results than that of people in the academia and industry,

it played considerable part into making a few people becoming multi-millionaire (but not me :() so I want to do it myself now

and the sole purpose of my graduate studies is to be able to do my independent research.

PS: If it makes you feel better LOL

I still got rejected from my top choice even though my stats, undergrad school's reputation and other things are quite good.

Well, they still think I am not good enough sigh..

Just to show how very important it is to get a text-book style profile with near perfect stats.. :(

Just an FYI, I graduated in 2010 after 15 years off and I'm first author on my paper but I completely agree about retaking the GRE.

With one valid positive response and one valid negative response, it's funny, I'm back where I was before I joined gradcafe. The original advice I received was that they seem to admit a few weird choices every year. Let's hope you are one of them.

Uhmm I dont think 3.36 is too low. It is kind of lowish, but it is not low enough to exclude you from anywhere. 3.36 is not abysmal. Is ur UG GPA 3.36 or "it drops just below 3"?

If the latter was the case, then yeah it is kind of low.

Although, given your research experience and the fact that the committee knows you, I think that'll be enough to tip the scale your way. If you address all of these issues in your SOP (GRE, age, etc) , I think you'll be fine.

Im optimistic for you :). Hopefully you applied to a LOT of programs :). That'll increase your chance of acceptance (not just you, everyone really).

Just an FYI, I graduated in 2010 after 15 years off and I'm first author on my paper but I completely agree about retaking the GRE.

With one valid positive response and one valid negative response, it's funny, I'm back where I was before I joined gradcafe. The original advice I received was that they seem to admit a few weird choices every year. Let's hope you are one of them.

Definitely retake the GRE and I think you'd have a decent shot at a school in the top 25-40 range. I'd even apply to a top 20 school or 2, just to take a shot at it if I were you. You're profile is definitely non-traditional, but profs and schools always say that the most important thing when they consider applications is research potential, so your application would be a pretty good test of that mantra.

Thank you newms its been really nice to talk to you. and yes there is no point now discussing about the issue.

lets hope for the best. good luck to you too.

I have a final question if it does not annoy you.

If i get admitted in some school for M.S. and if I may want to apply the next year again for Ph.D. without completing the M.S. is it possible?

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you get accepted to do a MS, you should finish the MS and then go to PhD. If you were to leave the MS after 1 year, it would raise a lot of questions in the minds of adcomms about your willingness to ultimately complete the PhD. Also, where would you get letters of recommendations from? The profs at your MS school might not be able to give you a strong LoR since you would be leaving their program without finishing it.

Uhmm I dont think 3.36 is too low. It is kind of lowish, but it is not low enough to exclude you from anywhere. 3.36 is not abysmal. Is ur UG GPA 3.36 or "it drops just below 3"?

If the latter was the case, then yeah it is kind of low.

Although, given your research experience and the fact that the committee knows you, I think that'll be enough to tip the scale your way. If you address all of these issues in your SOP (GRE, age, etc) , I think you'll be fine.

Im optimistic for you :). Hopefully you applied to a LOT of programs :). That'll increase your chance of acceptance (not just you, everyone really).

The truth of the matter is I attended 4 different undergraduate universities. If someone looks at every grade (and they asked for the transcripts) in 1990, I partied enough to get on academic probation. Grades from this millennia are much better, but still not straight As (I got 2 Cs but it was in religion).

This year is an attempt at the big time. GT (and CMU and U-Dub) will get $50 in application fees next year, if I don't get in this time. This thread opened a great discussion with my wife (thank you smile.gif). Here is the new plan, I will spend more effort learning about and meeting folks at top 11-35 universities. I will probably end up leaning more toward Education than CS (although any bridges/cross disciplinary programs you folks are aware of, please let me know). The down side is I'll be hanging out on Gradcafe less wink.gif.