Multiple Offers - How to Handle?

SocCard

Curious how other people are handling multiple admissions. If you get into one of your first choices early on in the application process, should you notify the your other choices? I'm in a bit of a quandary: I've applied to 11 schools, and I've already gotten a 4 year fellowship at my number 3 choice. There's really no way I'd go to any of the schools below this one.

The rational side of me informs me to consider all offers on the table--maybe one of the "lower" programs will give me either a stellar offer, or something might really click on a campus visit or interview. On the other hand, especially having been through this process before for my MA, I am leaning towards notifying the lower schools so that 1) they don't waste time or resource trying to recruit someone who isn't going to attend, and 2) so that other applicants can receive offers of funding in a timely manner.

Thoughts? How are others in this situation dealing with this dilemma?

Edited by SocCard

Curious how other people are handling multiple admissions...

Thoughts? How are others in this situation dealing with this dilemma?

A lot of it depends upon your situation. For example, I'm married with two children, and so in addition to the quality of the school itself, and it's fit with my interests, I also have to look at the cost of living, quality of elementary schools (which is still a couple of years away for my kids), and other community considerations. If family is important to you, how difficult will it be to visit your family? How readily available is public transportation, or parking? Another important question regards funding competition. Of of my undergrad professors tells horror stories about her graduate experience, at a school where funding was extremely competitive among students. They would hide each others textbooks, delete or alter files, and otherwise harass each other. That can be something to look at.

For single people, especially those with external financial support, many of these issues may not be important, so the decision may be easier. So far, I've been accepted at all but one of the schools that I've applied to, and I'm seriously weighing each of them (except for my undergraduate institution, I'm going to let them know pretty soon that I won't be coming here). I do think it's very important that once you have made your decision to not attend a certain school or schools, that you inform them promptly so that, as you said, they don't waste time and resources.

Those are just my thoughts, those of others may be more relevant or helpful, so hopefully others will post too.

I think it's worth visiting schools that you'd seriously consider. Maybe they're not in your top 3 now, but they fit for whatever reason. However, it's also important to let schools that you wouldn't consider know that you're no longer interested so they can move on to the waitlist and potentially open up the spot for someone else (as is clear here, a lot of people are in that position). That said, I wouldn't notify anyone who hasn't been in touch with you to withdraw your application or to use admission somewhere else as a bargaining chip. While both of these things are done, I don't think it's in good taste. Just wait and see who accepts you, let them know that you've got a fellowship at a highly desirable school for you, and be honest with them if you're not going to accept their offer.

Sage advice--I've gotten different views on whether or not it was appropriate to withdraw an application. It appears the appropriate thing to do is let it ride and decline an offer as opposed to withdraw before there is a decision to be made.

I also have a dilemma about this too.

I'm still weighing between pros and cons of different schools in different states.

Yeah! And that has been a suprisingly big issue for me. I don't have family ties anywhere, the offers are all about the same (4 years of funding). I've gotten into a few schools that I could see myself at, but they are in completely different areas (NE, SW, and Mid-West).

I think it's still pretty early in the process. You say you definitely wouldn't go to any of the other schools -- but if you got in would you go check out the campus? I'd wait a bit longer and see what transpires... once you've made your final choice then let the others know if you haven't heard from them. However, if you really really know you'd never go to those schools, let them know now, for the reasons you've already listed.

If you can, visit the schools. It is one thing to think a school is your #1 choice because of what it says on the website, what the professors have published, the ranking, etc. But when you visit schools, and when you talk to other students, that's when you'll really know what the program is like. there's a reason they give you until April to make up your mind.

If you can, visit the schools. It is one thing to think a school is your #1 choice because of what it says on the website, what the professors have published, the ranking, etc. But when you visit schools, and when you talk to other students, that's when you'll really know what the program is like. there's a reason they give you until April to make up your mind.

Exactly. Even if you have to spend your own money, visiting is worth every penny.

This. After visiting, my first choice became my last choice... And the school I hadn't been considering nearly as seriously became my top choice.

Yeah, I certainly agree, but it just isn't feasible for everyone (especially us PTL's that make peanuts and are way overworked). I'm going to try and visit 3 of the schools, which I think I can do.

If you're accepted, the school will likely pay all (or most) associated costs of your visit.Mine were also really flexible about working out dates on holidays and such that worked for me.

Edited by Eigen

Time is the biggest issue for me. I can't visit everywhere because I work full-time and have limited vacation time. I'm reasonably sure of where I plan to go next year even though I've never seen the school before, and I think the only thing that might change that is one school that I'm still waiting to hear from. It may not be perfect for my lifestyle, but I can be adaptable because the academic fit is almost perfect (perfection is the school I haven't heard from yet!)