No word yet?

dinosaurfight

I sent my app to Minnesota Dec. 1st and (besides letting me know they have all my app materials) still no word.

I called the graduate school (not the department) and asked about my status first a few days ago. The secretary there said that department contacted some applicants a while back and that I should contact the department I applied to directly to see what's going on.

So I sent a polite email to the department asking about my status. Nothing. So I left a voicemail with the program director. Still nothing.

Does this seem at all bizarre? I've been wait-listed by other programs and I'm thinking Minnesota too. But why not tell me?

I, too, am beginning to fear that I am on "the Eternal Waitlist". I know some people have received news from NYU, both positive and negative, but I'm still checking the mailbox compulsively and to no avail. I've heard horror stories about students funneled onto the waitlist so the department can pick and choose after their top choices decide, and the waitlisted students didn't receive letters until practically summer. I know that some schools are just slow or have different procedures that hold up decisions. Still, with less than two weeks left until people have to make decisions and no returned correspondence from admissions, I have a feeling I'll get the letter from NYU at the end of the month, when it's too late no matter the decision.

Good luck! Hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

I feel for you. I'm in the same boat with Arizona State. I tried contacting them at the start of last week, and I still haven't heard anything back.

I went ahead and accepted another offer, but it bugs me not knowing!

I am in the same boat. Waiting... I was sent an email that said they had all my materials, but nothing else. The website says that my application is ready for review. I figure I have been waitlisted, which is better than a rejection, but it would be nice to hear something.

I don't know if what I have to say would necessarily be applicable since we're in completely different fields...but here's my take.

They have a very good program in my area, they have excellent facilities and labs (so I won't constantly be wondering if my results are valid or having to send things to be tested), the people are very nice (seem like they like to do collaborative/interdisciplinary stuff), and the dept. didn't seem stuffy or overly competitive. They are also only a few hours drive from my home, which is good because my husband and kids will be staying here. I'll be living there during the week and coming home on the weekends to see them (or they'll come see me).

The other program I looked at had many of the same features, but they seemed a lot more uptight. And there is the fact that it's 1000 miles away and I don't want to have to fly home weekends.

dunno if that helped at all. :-)

I am in the same boat as you! I emailed the grad school at Nevada and they didnt SAY I was waitlisted, just that they are still deciding and would let me know as soon as a decision came through. Its my last hope, so I'm really hoping to hear a verdict either way. I really don't know why the school you applied to isn't getting back to you. No news is good news though, right?

I don't know if what I have to say would necessarily be applicable since we're in completely different fields...but here's my take.

They have a very good program in my area, they have excellent facilities and labs (so I won't constantly be wondering if my results are valid or having to send things to be tested), the people are very nice (seem like they like to do collaborative/interdisciplinary stuff), and the dept. didn't seem stuffy or overly competitive. They are also only a few hours drive from my home, which is good because my husband and kids will be staying here. I'll be living there during the week and coming home on the weekends to see them (or they'll come see me).

The other program I looked at had many of the same features, but they seemed a lot more uptight. And there is the fact that it's 1000 miles away and I don't want to have to fly home weekends.

dunno if that helped at all. :-)

You can take off entire weekends in your program? Wow I'm jealous! What field are you in?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use