Berkeley Done Admitting?

PeterL

Hi.

Does anyone have information on whether Berkeley is done admitting students? I didn't get an acceptance, so I assume I'll get a rejection, but I want to buy an international plane ticket soon and I would stay two more days in the US if I had a positive chance at Berkeley. It looks like last year they waited eight days before sending rejections, but I want to buy a ticket sooner than that in case prices increase. Do you think my interviewer would be annoyed if I asked about my status?

I don't know if all admits have been sent, but the admission email I received was from the committee chair. I'm not sure if Berkeley has a waitlist.

You could definitely contact your interviewer. If you explain your situation politely, I'm sure you'll get a response.

Today, I contacted the prof who interviewed me at Berkeley and I asked him the same thing. He quickly and politely responded that I got rejected. I sincerely wish you all the best and I hope you have better luck at Berkeley than I did :)

I don't know if all admits have been sent, but the admission email I received was from the committee chair. I'm not sure if Berkeley has a waitlist.

You could definitely contact your interviewer. If you explain your situation politely, I'm sure you'll get a response.

Did you had an interview with them?

If I haven't heard for an interview is all hope lost?

Well, I hate to say this, but seems like they are done admitting. I've heard that they have a small waitlist, but I'm not sure how it works (MIT also has one, but apparently only a couple from ~60 gets picked). If you are in it, there might still be hope.

From what I heard from a source, this year the competition was extremely intense - they had ~3200 applications and admitted approximately 4%.

Well, I hate to say this, but seems like they are done admitting. I've heard that they have a small waitlist

No, we don't have a waitlist. It's not impossible that we might delay an acceptance, but don't plan for it.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

No, we don't have a waitlist. It's not impossible that we might delay an acceptance, but don't plan for it.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

Why does Berkeley wait to send out the rejection letters? For those of us who have not been contacted, waiting on the rejection notification is like the slow removal of a band-aid.

Why does Berkeley wait to send out the rejection letters?

I don't know. Taking an educated guess...probably to give us time to double-check everything and correct mistakes. It would suck to accidentally send a rejection letter to someone we meant to accept.

Jonathan Shewchuk

Jonathan Shewchuk

Associate Professor

CS Division

UC Berkeley

I am still waiting to hear something from Berkeley. Already got accepted in Stanford but I was really looking forward to visiting Berkeley during the Stanford's visit weekend on 10-13th March.

don't have high expectations

well, at least they didn't told you to cut hopes :D

we can be positive and say that would mean a very small number of additional acceptances, maybe some waitlisted, but this would raise the question, why they take a 3-4 weeks to send rejections this year instead of the usual single week period, strange.