First Call

pinot noir

So, I received a phone call from the head of the creative writing department at UCR. We played phone tag and I'm trying to stall the conversation to see if I hear back from anyone else i.e. Columbia.

Does anyone know what standard procedure is here? Will they offer you a spot only if you accept now? Is there a grace period? I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be foolish either. Thanks for any advice.

So, I received a phone call from the head of the creative writing department at UCR. We played phone tag and I'm trying to stall the conversation to see if I hear back from anyone else i.e. Columbia.

Does anyone know what standard procedure is here? Will they offer you a spot only if you accept now? Is there a grace period? I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be foolish either. Thanks for any advice.

generally, they will let you know what your acceptance deadline is, and give you time to consider it (along with a letter describing your award or lack thereof). A number of US schools seem to have a coordinated deadline date (April 15, I think? Most schools I've dealt with have been Canadian, so I don't know for sure), and there is a list somewhere on here of all the participating schools. In any case, your acceptance message should state, and you can ask on the phone, too.

The shortest window I've seen is about 3 weeks. For many, it's more like 1-2 months. But the sooner you get back to them (once you know for sure), you may be helping some other poor waitlisted soul get an answer, too.

(Aside: I'll be at UCR for a conference in a couple weeks!)

Typically you will have until April 15th to accept an offer with financial support. Sometimes schools will ask for an earlier decision, but if they're part of the Council of Graduate School's resolution, then you have until April 15. See the resolution here: http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS_Resolution.pdf

I would avoid stalling. What if it isn't an offer of acceptance, but just an interview? And they decide not to give you an offer because you seem difficult to get ahold of (i.e., not too interested)?

Standard procedure is that you are offered an acceptance, you say thank you, and then by April you decide which offer to accept.