One Year Versus Two Year Master Programs

K Ryan

Hello Everyone, I have two unofficial master programs acceptances and was hoping to get some opinions on one year versus two year master programs. (both schools have PhD programs and, I have been assured, will offer full funding) So disregarding all other factors what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of the one year versus two year programs? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Hello Everyone, I have two unofficial master programs acceptances and was hoping to get some opinions on one year versus two year master programs. (both schools have PhD programs and, I have been assured, will offer full funding) So disregarding all other factors what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of the one year versus two year programs? Thank you in advance for your feedback.

As I see it, the only advantage of a one-year program is the lower cost, if you are unfunded. If this is not the case, I would most definitely recommend a two-year program.

If you have two years, you will be in a much better position to secure good letters of recommendation, and you will be more likely to write a substantial thesis, which would give you both valuable research experience and provide for a nice writing sample for future PhD applications. Provided that you are planning to apply for a doctorate degree later on, these really are the two main things you want to get out of a master's degree - recommenders and research experience.

I am currently finishing my fourth semester of an interdisciplinary MA program, and I have been very satisfied with my experience.

It all depends what you really need. Aside from lower cost, I'm not sure what are the benefits of one year MA program. You would still need to hold off your PhD applications until the following year so you can get some more research experience and secure really good letters. It just depends whether or not you can see yourself taking a year off the following year or so.