Schools Outside the US

Has anyone considered applying to graduate schools outside the US? This is for IR/Global Affairs.

For someone who wants to work in organizations concerning US-Europe, would it be beneficial to get a masters degree in Europe?

I applied to LSE in addition to several IR programs in the US because I'd like to eventually work in Europe for an international development NGO. However, I was really disappointed with how easy LSE's curriculum appeared to be-- I thought that if I wanted to return to the US at some point, a degree from LSE's 1-year heavily-academic program might be less competitive with 2-year professionally-oriented degrees from schools like SAIS, SIPA, Fletcher, etc.

Currently, I'm looking at a sort of compromise-- Fletcher offers the opportunity to study at a prestigious IR school in Geneva during the second year. I'm thinking that the program could be a good way to make professional contacts and gain work experience in Europe, as I can intern at one of Geneva's many INGOs that year and possibly transition to full-time work there immediately after graduation, while I ultimately earn an American degree respected by both Europeans and Americans.

• 10 months later...

The LSE is a truly competitive an international place with really good international faculty and very very clever students at all levels. Even though some master programs are 1 year long it does not mean they are less quality than any other longer. If that were true, the best MPA program in the US would not be Syracuse Maxwell MPA which is one of the few 1 year long. Although I agree I prefer those two years long. However, I can state that at the LSE you can find very smart people from the best schools of the world, 99 percent of them very comitted and highly focused. You should ask any LSE alumnus about the interesting academic enviroment of the LSE, everywhere people talk about international problems. He or she can also tell you how the exam period is there, when it is really hard to find a place to study in the whole school. LSE has the highest index of library borrows per student in the whole Europe. On the other hand, the networking effect is quite strong. An LSE degree is recognized everywhere in the world and all the multilaterals (UN, WB etc) love LSE graduates. In my own view, I do love the LSE because while being there I could better understand the world in a truly international surrounding, and listened to the most important international scholars and economic and political leaders that every single week visited the school. Very few places in the world can offer that to you. You should give it a try, I promise you won't regret.

LSE is a degree mill of sorts for those willing/able to pay the international student fees. The school depends on these admits for revenue. You'll find that an LSE cohort has many mediocre, fee-paying international students.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that most LSE students go on international merit-based scholarships and the others are granted awards by the school according to their performance.

LSE is a degree mill of sorts for those willing/able to pay the international student fees. The school depends on these admits for revenue. You'll find that an LSE cohort has many mediocre, fee-paying international students.

LSE is my top choice, and I am surprised that someone looked so down on it. LSE is a prestigious institution for IR, especially in IPE. To threetuns- what you said about LSE is what makes me hope to get in and attend.

I've had friends who are 'above mediocre' that have been denied admission this year. I find it very competitive to get accepted.

I am not sure if this is true--so it would be great if someone who knows would weigh in on this--but someone told me that if you aspire to federal jobs when you've attained your degree then do not go to school out side of the US--apparently it makes you a less attractive job prospect because it is alot harder for you to receive a security clearance after living abroad for a substantial amount of time. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am not sure if this is true--so it would be great if someone who knows would weigh in on this--but someone told me that if you aspire to federal jobs when you've attained your degree then do not go to school out side of the US--apparently it makes you a less attractive job prospect because it is alot harder for you to receive a security clearance after living abroad for a substantial amount of time. Does anyone know if this is true?

I have talked to many people in quite a few federal agencies about this issue. As it was told to me, be very upfront with the investigative officer about everything concerning your experience abroad, and keep good records of everything (places lived, associates, etc). The clearance process will take a little longer, but there are still high changes of getting a clearance.

I have talked to many people in quite a few federal agencies about this issue. As it was told to me, be very upfront with the investigative officer about everything concerning your experience abroad, and keep good records of everything (places lived, associates, etc). The clearance process will take a little longer, but there are still high changes of getting a clearance.

I agree- I've been cleared for a federal position and have studied/lived/have many contacts abroad. If you are prepared to give detailed information they want, it shouldn't be a problem. While it may be an extra 'step', I don't see why you wouldn't be cleared and chosen if you have the credentials.

I've applied to a number of IR schools in the US and just recently looked at LSE and saw that they have an interesting Global Communications Program with the first year in London and then the second in Shanghai China or LA. Does anyone know anything about this program or have thoughts on it? They have rolling apps and the program is still open. I'm considering applying. Of course that might just be because I haven't heard from ANY schools and am going a bit nuts.

I think there's some truth to everything that's been posted.

I would add the following:

1. An LSE degree isn't as recognized in the US compared to degrees from American IR schools. Conversely, the LSE degree is very well respected in the UK and perhaps other European countries.

2. For the average Msc from LSE, you will probably take three courses the entire time and write a thesis.

3. More academic than US programs.

I'm not too sure about the joint and special programs like the global comm with USC and the Science Po joint, but they seem more practical than the others.

In the end, if you have all the info and the program's a good fit, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Good luck!

For those considering LSE and have worries about future competitiveness in the US market should consider US schools with dual degree partnerships with LSE. SIPA is one of them and you can get both degrees in 2 years. There are several schools I came across when first looking at programs that partner with LSE, though they elude me at the moment.