Golden, CO

paigeski

Hi!

Anyone out there live in Golden? Where are the best apartments, close to campus, good price? I know all of those qualifications might not be possible, but any advice would be great! Thanks!

Everything depends on (1) how much you're willing to pay, (2) whether or not you have a car, and (3) what sort of digs you're looking for.

The best place to live IMO is close to campus...i.e. north of Golden High School/24th St and south of highway 58. If you are willing to share a house, you can get a room for $400 or so. There's a Safeway just a few blocks from campus so you can easily handle life w/o a car. (For clothing etc. you can hop on the bus--you get a free bus pass as a student--and go down to Colorado Mills, which is a behemoth shopping mall, about 15 min away by bus.)

The area just north of 58 is slightly more affordable, and walkable/bikeable. But be warned, we are in the foothills here and it will take you a while to adjust to altitude/elevation gain while walking/biking. Some parts of this neighborhood are great, others are kinda scummy. Downside: there is no bus service to this part of town, so if you don't have a car you'll be hauling all of your groceries up a hill. Not fun.

Then there's the Pleasant View area, roughly defined as anywhere south of South Table Mesa but north of I-70. There are some reasonable neighborhoods here but there are also some not-nice neighborhoods. This may have something to do with the fact that the county jail, the juvenile detention center, and a (low-security) state prison all lie within the area. (The sheriff's department HQ is also here, though, so at least you get protection services quickly!) To be honest, this is where most of the grad students end up living. Because if you want your own place, and don't want to share, you probably aren't going to be able to afford it nearer campus. Advantages: There is good bus service to this area. The best grocery store in Golden is down here, and there are plenty of restaurants including ethnic food. (I have to admit, though, that most ethnic food in Golden is disappointing, with the exception of Mexican/Southwestern.)

If you don't mind a slightly longer commute, you can get some really good deals a few blocks from Colfax Ave in Lakewood--which means decent bus service to campus.

I'll be PM-ing you with more info.

Everything depends on (1) how much you're willing to pay, (2) whether or not you have a car, and (3) what sort of digs you're looking for.

The best place to live IMO is close to campus...i.e. north of Golden High School/24th St and south of highway 58. If you are willing to share a house, you can get a room for $400 or so. There's a Safeway just a few blocks from campus so you can easily handle life w/o a car. (For clothing etc. you can hop on the bus--you get a free bus pass as a student--and go down to Colorado Mills, which is a behemoth shopping mall, about 15 min away by bus.)

The area just north of 58 is slightly more affordable, and walkable/bikeable. But be warned, we are in the foothills here and it will take you a while to adjust to altitude/elevation gain while walking/biking. Some parts of this neighborhood are great, others are kinda scummy. Downside: there is no bus service to this part of town, so if you don't have a car you'll be hauling all of your groceries up a hill. Not fun.

Then there's the Pleasant View area, roughly defined as anywhere south of South Table Mesa but north of I-70. There are some reasonable neighborhoods here but there are also some not-nice neighborhoods. This may have something to do with the fact that the county jail, the juvenile detention center, and a (low-security) state prison all lie within the area. (The sheriff's department HQ is also here, though, so at least you get protection services quickly!) To be honest, this is where most of the grad students end up living. Because if you want your own place, and don't want to share, you probably aren't going to be able to afford it nearer campus. Advantages: There is good bus service to this area. The best grocery store in Golden is down here, and there are plenty of restaurants including ethnic food. (I have to admit, though, that most ethnic food in Golden is disappointing, with the exception of Mexican/Southwestern.)

If you don't mind a slightly longer commute, you can get some really good deals a few blocks from Colfax Ave in Lakewood--which means decent bus service to campus.

Thank you!

I'll be living with my boyfriend and we would like a 2 bedroom apartment, or we could rent part of a house, we just mainly want a 2 bedroom that allows pets (1 cat), and we have 2 cars.

Edited by paigeski

Thank you!

I'll be living with my boyfriend and we would like a 2 bedroom apartment, or we could rent part of a house, we just mainly want a 2 bedroom that allows pets (1 cat), and we have 2 cars.

Is your boyfriend going to look for a job? If he thinks he may be working in downtown Denver, I would either pick Lakewood or Pleasant View--both have easy access to the 6 which will get you to downtown in ~15 min.

• 3 years later...

hey i have so many good deals for apparment and pgs . Because i am deleling for it . If you would be intrested so please post here i provide you best and cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Moving to Golden for a phd program in the fall. Do most grad students live in Golden or is there a large percentage who live in Denver? I have some friends planning to live in downtown Denver next year and I was wondering how feasible it would be to live in downtown and commute to school everyday? Any neighborhoods you could recommend? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems that the rent has been increasing sharply since 2011... Now it is almost impossible to share a house anywhere near campus with personal rent around $400 (it just doubled in my case). This is just crazy. 

• 4 months later...

I have researched the housing market extensively around Golden for quite some time. The market is exploding at this time, but I have found a place that provides a safe housing opportunity for a fair price called The Lodge in Denver West. Here is an excerpt from their website. PM me for more information, I know finding housing can be rough.I will gladly answer any questions :D Hope this helps!

"Welcome to The Lodge, Denver West's newest luxury living. With stunning views of the city and surrounding foothills, these spacious apartment homes combine a picturesque location with the ultimate in amenities and convenience. Spacious designs and open floor plans bring elegance and simplicity to The Lodge. With ample views and open space right at your door, our stylish designs range from one bedroom layouts starting at 679 Square Feet to our large two master bedroom plans up to 1,117 square feet. With an onsite state-of-the-art fitness center, a gorgeous clubhouse, a comprehensive business center and conference room, and a resort style pool, sauna and spa, The Lodge has been meticulously designed to meet the most discerning needs.

You'll love the attention to every detail. Indoors, you'll relish our gourmet kitchens complete with granite countertops, generous islands and the finest stainless steel appliances. With great rooms that are truly great, double vanity sinks, palatial walk-in closets, and airy terraces offering exceptional mountain and city views, The Lodge is an enticing place to be. In fact, if it weren't for the Lodge's alluring outdoor setting, you might never leave.

Nestled in the foothills of Denver West, The Lodge offers the unique benefit of getting away from it all while living right next door to everything. Outdoor enthusiasts will delight in the hiking trails that begin just outside your door. Not to mention the proximity to the beautiful Rocky Mountains, just minutes away. Days filled with activity can be recounted over dinner and drinks at one of the many fine restaturants nearby. From movies and dining to shopping and nightlife, The Lodge Denver West truly has it all."

• 2 years later...

Hi! I'm considering a PhD program at Mines, and was wondering what the social life was like for an LGBT person? A quick web search lists the area as fairly conservative, and I was wondering if this was conservative in the economic sense, or in the social sense? Since I'd be looking to be there for several years if I went, is there anything I should know? Would it be better to live in Denver and have a longer commute? Any insight is appreciated!

I live in Denver. Yes, Golden is small and can be conservative. I can honestly say that, depending on where you are, you may not want to do the commute to Golden from most of Denver. I-70 is about to undergo a multi-year construction project west of I-25 which is going to cause significant traffic delays once it begins. Denver is also more expensive than some of the surrounding towns, which you'll want to factor into your decision-making. If you do go with Denver, you'll need a car to commute to Golden. I'd go with something west of I-25 to make your commute easier (e.g., the Highlands, Tennyson Art District area, Sunnyside, etc.). You may want to consider living in western Lakewood (living near/along the W line would give you an easy option to get into downtown via light rail if you want), Wheat Ridge, or Arvada (the G line will open eventually connecting Arvada/Wheat Ridge and downtown). Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

@astrobuzz I've lived in Lakewood/Golden for basically my whole life. While Lakewood and Golden can be somewhat conservative, I think that most of the people here are accepting, if not friendly, towards the LGBT community. If you're into riding bicycles, hiking, fishing, casual dining, etc., then I think Golden would be extremely welcoming to you. 

On the other hand, Denver is far more progressive (relative to Golden, that is). I think it still has a ways to go before it's considered a true hub for the Western LGBT community, but it's on the right track. (For perspective: a gay friend of mine from Denver recently moved to Houston, which he raves has a vibrant LGBT community compared to Denver.) Anyways, if you're looking to have easy accessibility to the LGBT community, living in Denver may be better--but more way more expensive than in the suburbs around it.

I would recommend living in a city west of Denver, and spend your weekend time in Denver itself. That way you have a low cost of living, but you can have fun in Denver when you feel like you need it. Good luck with your decision!

Edited by platypusomnibus