HCI Program Ranking

Camouflaged

As far as I've been able to tell, there are no distinct rankings of HCI programs, but CMU, Stanford, Georgia Tech, and MIT have some of the best-known ones (I'm sure that I missed some big examples- anyone have any other suggestions?). It's hard to compare the programs to each other since they all specialize in different areas (MIT focuses on creating awesome new technologies, Georgia Tech has a bunch of topic-centered labs but doesn't do as much with design, etc.)- you just have to look for the program that fits you best.

Hello,

Can anybody post a ranking of the HCI programs at different universities?

Is it possible to compare the following three programs?

1) UIUC CS

2) GA Tech, School of Interactive Computing

3) Cornell Information Science

If I were in your position, I would definitely go for GA Tech. Its HCI group is really something where every HCI-PhD applicant aspires to get in.

• 4 years later...

If I were you  I would go GA Tech computing. UIUC CS is known for machine learning, operating systems and distributed computing. They do not have strong HCI side.

My top choice for HCI would be GATech college of computing, CMU HCII, UW-Seattle CS (not HCDE, not iSchool), MIT Media lab, Stanford, Cornell iSchool, Penn State IST, Virginia Tech IST, UCIrvine., UC Berkeley iSchool, Indiana University.

http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-best-graduate-programs-for-HCI-in-the-United-States-and-Europe

For HCI, there are many subareas. Here's my unofficial ranking (totally my opinion, so don't flame me):

Social computing/CSCW:

CMU HCII

UC Irvine

Michigan iSchool

Cornell

Georgia Tech

Maryland

Washington

Minnesota

Northwestern

Illinois

Stanford

HCI Systems (engineering):

MIT Media Lab

CMU HCII

Berkeley

KAIST

UToronto

MIT CSAIL

Stanford

Washington

Wisconsin

Crowdsourcing/MOOCs:

CMU HCII

Stanford

MIT

Oxford

Rochester

Texas

Behavioral Data:

Washington

Harvard

Brown

CMU HCII

MIT

Michigan iSchool

UNC iSchool

Qualitative:

CMU HCII

UC Irvine

Cornell

Washington iSchool

Maryland

Indiana

UBC

Health/Mobile:

Georgia Tech

CMU HCII

Washington

Maryland

Northeastern

Minnesota

Interaction Techniques:

Toronto

CMU HCII

Hasso Platner Institute

Waterloo

Maryland

Washington

Usability/Human Factors/Design:

Maryland

KAIST

Indiana

CMU HCII

Washington

Penn State

UCSD

Maryland

Stanford

Visualization:

Utah

Washington

Georgia Tech

UBC

Brown

Maryland

Virginia Tech

• 2 months later...

Can anyone please suggest me universities for MS-HCI:

Shortlisted so far:

CMU, UC-Irvine, WashU, UMich, Iowa State

Want to apply to 10 universities. Please  help me add/delete.

GRE: 313: 152v, 161q)
TOEFL: Scheduled for 8 Nov
UG: B.tech in Comp Sc- 71%.. highest was 80%
12th: 83%
10th: 91%

Projects: 2 during semester internship for 3 months each; 1 was development both backend and frontend and the other was for quality assurance

Papers: None

Seminars: Did some research on DNA computing on my own and delivered a seminar to students in my college. This was part of college semester program.

Work ex: 2.5 years 
Working as a quality assurance engineer in a Washington based company's India office in India. Been a part of 3 projects so far. Responsibilities include user interface testing primarily, database , end to end testing, requirement analysis, automation testing with java and selenium.

Programming: Java, selenium

Accolades: Awards for extraordinary contribution to the organization in overall development of the products.(Got this in office)

Extra Curricular: I own a student pilot license. Have done few hours of flying. 
Won in some advertisement related competitions etc at college level
Have won few non work related competitions in office.

Social Work: Associated with an NGO for child education.

LOR: I can manage one from a PHD prof in my colg and 2 from my managers at work. I can also get recommendation from my remote manager in US if that will leave an impact else India if that would suffice.