Illinois at Chicago

Does anyone know what "Manual Review Req" means? My status at UIC was updated with this message today. Anyone else? I haven't heard back from anywhere I've applied, so all I can do is obsess over tiny changes . . .

Means this: A decision of "Pending - Manual Review Req" means that your file has been sent to your department and is awaiting a decision. The Office of Admissions and Records cannot give you any further information on a deferred application. You may contact your program for details about the departmental review process.

I just checked the website as mine is in a current state. Here's the source: http://www.uic.edu/d...d.html#checking

Also, in the same obsession boat. blink.gif

Edited by TeamCoco-Bollo

Thank you! That was marvelously helpful. All this waiting and wondering is exhausting . . . any kind of answer to anything is welcome :)

Means this: A decision of "Pending - Manual Review Req" means that your file has been sent to your department and is awaiting a decision. The Office of Admissions and Records cannot give you any further information on a deferred application. You may contact your program for details about the departmental review process.

I just checked the website as mine is in a current state. Here's the source: http://www.uic.edu/d...d.html#checking

Also, in the same obsession boat. blink.gif

Thank you! That was marvelously helpful. All this waiting and wondering is exhausting . . . any kind of answer to anything is welcome :)

Dude, preaching to the choir, my biggest/worst move was upgrading my phone. It now is able to tell me the instant that I get an e-mail. I thought this would be productive as I wouldn't have to be chained to the computer clicking refresh . . . but now i just sit and stare at my phone waiting for a ding. It's a losing battle.

Speaking of, just had a professor tell me he was rejected out right his first session (only to apply to a later deadline school and get in) . . . he got 5 rejections in the mail on the same day. I think I would crawl into a bottle for at least a year.

Yeah, I've barely looked away from a screen (phone or computer) for over a month now . . . I did have the foresight to set up an entirely new email account just for applications, so I don't have a heart attack every time I get regular mail. Of course, every time my phone rings I turn into an adrenalized wreck, even though most of the schools I applied to don't notify by calling. I'm also worried that all my rejections will show up at once, and maybe even on a day that I teach. I don't want my students to see me collapse!

At this point I'm also thinking about looking for a few places with late deadlines . . . what else is there to do? I knew this wouldn't be easy, but wow, I had no idea I'd be such a mess . . .

Dude, preaching to the choir, my biggest/worst move was upgrading my phone. It now is able to tell me the instant that I get an e-mail. I thought this would be productive as I wouldn't have to be chained to the computer clicking refresh . . . but now i just sit and stare at my phone waiting for a ding. It's a losing battle.

Speaking of, just had a professor tell me he was rejected out right his first session (only to apply to a later deadline school and get in) . . . he got 5 rejections in the mail on the same day. I think I would crawl into a bottle for at least a year.

Does anyone know what "Manual Review Req" means? My status at UIC was updated with this message today. Anyone else? I haven't heard back from anywhere I've applied, so all I can do is obsess over tiny changes . . .

Mine reads: "Complete ready for review"... I think I like the sound of "Manual Review Req" better...

Mine reads: "Complete ready for review"... I think I like the sound of "Manual Review Req" better...

Haha, mine has both: Application Status: Complete ready for review Decision: Pending - Manual Review Req

I have no idea how that will appear when I hit post. Anyway, it's also possible that admissions for Chicago area schools are delayed somewhat because of the giant dumping of snow the Midwest received earlier this month.

Yeah, I've barely looked away from a screen (phone or computer) for over a month now . . . I did have the foresight to set up an entirely new email account just for applications, so I don't have a heart attack every time I get regular mail. Of course, every time my phone rings I turn into an adrenalized wreck, even though most of the schools I applied to don't notify by calling. I'm also worried that all my rejections will show up at once, and maybe even on a day that I teach. I don't want my students to see me collapse!

At this point I'm also thinking about looking for a few places with late deadlines . . . what else is there to do? I knew this wouldn't be easy, but wow, I had no idea I'd be such a mess . . .

Are there places later then Feb. 15th? I know some with rolling and no funding, but dang, that's really late . . . will have to check that out, too.

I don't know if there are any PhD programs still taking applications, and I don't think anyplace has funding this late. I was actually considering an alternate plan that involves getting a second Master's, so that probably isn't what you had in mind . . . I want to stay in school and continue teaching, so it would be worth a few more years. I already wish I had applied to more schools . . . nine *seemed* like a lot, but now I feel like I was being way too optimistic. Ah, well . . . it's not over quite yet.

Are there places later then Feb. 15th? I know some with rolling and no funding, but dang, that's really late . . . will have to check that out, too.

I don't know if there are any PhD programs still taking applications, and I don't think anyplace has funding this late. I was actually considering an alternate plan that involves getting a second Master's, so that probably isn't what you had in mind . . . I want to stay in school and continue teaching, so it would be worth a few more years. I already wish I had applied to more schools . . . nine *seemed* like a lot, but now I feel like I was being way too optimistic. Ah, well . . . it's not over quite yet.

Dude, that sounds like my plan exactly. 9 schools because I couldn't afford the 13 on my original list. Thinking of a second MA in American or Cultural Studies. If you would say continue conferencing at more national conferences, we'd be dopplegangers.

Thank you. The acceptance is mine. I didn't get a chance to talk to my POI, but she left a very enthusiastic message and urged me to return her call sometime tomorrow.

Congrats! I'm in my second year of the PhD right now at UIC if you have any questions about the program!

Oh, and for anyone still waiting, I'll say this: lots of people heard about UIC before I did the year I was admitted. Just because you haven't heard doesn't necessarily mean anything. I wouldn't say they're super hung up on procedure around here.

mine was unchanged, and then it was changed to deny late last night. I'm not particularly torn. I got in two years ago and they were incredibly sketchy about funding and by the time they figured something out I had already said not to bother. And at this point right now I have much stronger choices. Congrats to those who were accepted, Chi-town is a great city!

mine was unchanged, and then it was changed to deny late last night. I'm not particularly torn. I got in two years ago and they were incredibly sketchy about funding and by the time they figured something out I had already said not to bother. And at this point right now I have much stronger choices. Congrats to those who were accepted, Chi-town is a great city!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the funding they offered?

I'm getting a bit gitty as this is one of the few schools for which I still have a glimmer of hope.

Congrats on your other acceptances. Where are they from and what is your area of interest?

The letter I received said that the funding I would receive for a teaching stipend would "likely be more than $14,561" and that more details would be coming soon. PhD students are guaranteed funding for six years and expected to teach on a 2/1 schedule (0/2 for the first year). In addition, there are a number of opportunities for students to teach literature or lead recitations as a true TA (as opposed to working composition slavery). Many (but not all) students receive a dissertation semester/ year in year four.

Edited by stillthisappeal

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else still not heard anything?

Yes, I stil have the same online status, "Pending Manual Review" or whatever. Nothing via email or mail yet, so I'm guessing either a late/latent rejection or another one of those secret, internal waitlist situations.

Yes, I stil have the same online status, "Pending Manual Review" or whatever. Nothing via email or mail yet, so I'm guessing either a late/latent rejection or another one of those secret, internal waitlist situations.

If you call the graduate office they will let you know your decision, if indeed one has been made on your app.

My status never changed so I just called and they told me of my rejections.