Most Popular Branches/sub-branches of Philosophy

hbui

What branch(es) of Philosophy do you wish to study? (limited to 3 different areas max)  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What branch(es) of Philosophy do you wish to study? (limited to 3 different areas max)

• Value Theory (e.g. Aesthetics and/or Ethics)
    • Continental philosophy
    • Epistemology
    • Political Philosophy
    • Philosophy of Language and Logic
    • Philosophy of Mind
    • Metaphysics/Ontology
    • Philosophy of Science and/or Philosophy of Mathematics
    • Philosophy of Religion
    • History of Philosophy

I wanted to see what were the more popular branches of philosophy most student contemplating or already applying to graduate school intended to study.

For me, it's epistemology and philosophy of mind. Also a litle bit of metaphysics never hurt anyone.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not my field, but the number of people interested in Metaphysics and Philo Math, quite frankly, shocks me given what I see at my U. Does the board skew againts Positivism, or is this a recent trend in the field as a whole?

Also, when we say Metaphysics, are we talking Heidegger, et al, or are we talking mereology, direction of time/philosophy & physics, etc.?

• 9 months later...

what again is continental philosophy? some kind of catch all? I research political & social philosophy as well as the history of metaphysics, philosophy of religion, and contemporary political ontology. Most of the authors I encounter are French, save for one Italian...

because these authors are "from the continent" I should choose "continental" even though my interests are much more specific than that?