NYU

TransnationalHistory

Anyone have any inside information when NYU might start sending out notifications? Or at least invites to their open house?

Prospective Students Weekend was this last weekend. Decisions should be due within the next week or so, as far as I understood it.

I couldn't remember which weekend was the open house for invites. Now I know. Either way, most likely by the end of this month.

Chill. B)

So, regarding the prospective students visit. I talked with someone from NYU who congratulated me on being admitted! (S)He said that I should be getting an email soon with all the details, hopefully by the end of the week, but not to panic if it doesn't arrive by Friday because things are clogged up at the graduate admissions side.

I wasn't invited to the prospective student weekend, so apparently that has nothing to do with your chances. But, then again, maybe it's because I applied for the Dual PhD in History and French Studies. Who knows? Keep your hopes up!

I wasn't invited to the prospective student weekend, so apparently that has nothing to do with your chances. But, then again, maybe it's because I applied for the Dual PhD in History and French Studies. Who knows? Keep your hopes up!

That's great to hear. Why do you think they bother with a prospective weekend if it has nothing to do with chances? What an odd way of doing things.

That's great to hear. Why do you think they bother with a prospective weekend if it has nothing to do with chances? What an odd way of doing things.

No clue. Pretty weird, and I had just about given up hope. Like I said, maybe it's a departmental thing? Although it wouldn't make much sense, since the program I applied is itself heavily geared toward the history department.

I too have received very good feedback from NYU (not a certain acceptance but an official mail - "letter of interest" - from the department's chair, urging me to contact the professors that I would like to work with), and never received an invitation for the visiting day. It would have been cool, though, in the heart of NYC.

I did not apply to French Studies or any other mixed program though. It probably has to do with the fact that I live far from the US.

I too have received very good feedback from NYU (not a certain acceptance but an official mail - "letter of interest" - from the department's chair, urging me to contact the professors that I would like to work with), and never received an invitation for the visiting day. It would have been cool, though, in the heart of NYC.

I did not apply to French Studies or any other mixed program though. It probably has to do with the fact that I live far from the US.

Hm. If that's the reason then it would also explain why I didn't get an invite. I see that southern hemisphere folks aren't invited to the party. haha.

Hm. If that's the reason then it would also explain why I didn't get an invite. I see that southern hemisphere folks aren't invited to the party. haha.

When I went to the PSW, I was told that international students aren't invited. I don't think it's a personal thing, I think it's financial. To compare, Columbia invites international students but they have a reimbursive model, so you'd buy your ticket and then Columbia would pay you back up to $500 (which wouldn't pay for most international flights). NYU, on the other hand, pays for your ticket out-right, so you don't have to go in debt. That just means only domestic flights are eligible.

Edited by silas

Also, from what I understand, if you applied for joint-PhD programs, you aren't invited to the PSW largely because your application is first reviewed by the "studies" program and you're admitted through those people and the History department just approves the application.

I applied to NYU and have not heard anything from them. I called the department to ask when decisions will be mailed out. They said I should expect decisions at the begging of March because they received many applications this year.

Congrats! What's your field, and was the email from a professor in your field or the DGS?

I'm in Atlantic World history, and the email was the official letter from the Dean of Graduate Enrollment.

Congrats on being accepted. I guess this means the rest of us who have not heard anything yet were rejected :(.

Not that I know, but from what I can see on the results page there were only two acceptances posted today. The rest have been in joint programs. Obviously not everyone uses this board, but it seems like if there are only two posted they have not notified everyone yet.

Not that I know, but from what I can see on the results page there were only two acceptances posted today. The rest have been in joint programs. Obviously not everyone uses this board, but it seems like if there are only two posted they have not notified everyone yet.

I think that somewhere buried in the application was a place to choose notification by post or email. It could be that some of the acceptances are in the snail.

To those of you who have been fortunate (and deserving) of your acceptances into the PhD program at NYU - are any of you Africanists?

Also, does anyone have any idea how many students the history dept admits (normally)?

I'm an Africanist, and I just got my decision: Waitlisted. This was my top choice, and so I do feel a little torn. They say they will let me know no later than April 15th, but that makes me nervous, as I'm sure my other programs will want to know sooner than that what my choice is. Obviously I feel lucky to have gotten into two great programs, and waitlisted is better than nothing. I just wish I knew what my chances were of getting off the waitlist.

I'm an Africanist, and I just got my decision: Waitlisted. This was my top choice, and so I do feel a little torn. They say they will let me know no later than April 15th, but that makes me nervous, as I'm sure my other programs will want to know sooner than that what my choice is. Obviously I feel lucky to have gotten into two great programs, and waitlisted is better than nothing. I just wish I knew what my chances were of getting off the waitlist.

I'm waitlisted too and it is my first choice. I agree and wish I knew my chances as well. Trying not to think about it...

I'm waitlisted too and it is my first choice. I agree and wish I knew my chances as well. Trying not to think about it...

Well, a little research on these boards suggests that last year they took zero people off the list. But we can still hope....I mean, the economy is getting a little better, right?