Got waitlisted. Can I ask how many are before me?

hejduk

I applied for a program with five openings, and just found out today that I was wait-listed. Is there any way that I can respectfully ask how many people are in front of me on the list? I basically want to know my for my nerves; if there are 5 people in front of me, I know to get over it. If there are only two, then I know I might actually have a chance, and therefore have a reason to rationalize the resulting worrying until April 15th.

Edited by hedjuk

I did. I think it is normal to want to know what the chances are and I'm pretty sure programs get asked all the time after they send out wait listed letters. If there was a contact name on your letter email that person. Usually it is the secretary of the department that knows this type of info. Just write something like 'I received notice that I am currently on the waitlist for PROGRAM X. Would it be possible to know my placement on the list?"

Something like that!

I just emailed I asked that I was interested in knowing my position on the wait list so that I can realistically know my chances, and gauge the offer versus other admission offers (which are still pending, but not looking good at this point).

I've never been waitlisted (straight up rejects and admits for me...), but I would think your 'position' also depends on who exactly decides not to attend that program. I don't know your field, but in mine, if, say, an IR (international relations) person decides not to attend, I'd think they would go to the waitlist for another IR student, not just anyone off an arbitrary ranking. It's as much about 'fit' off the waitlist than it is initially, I'd suppose.

I was told earlier today that I am one of three on the wait list, and that the list is "unranked". I'm guessing they look at who has declined, and then the best fit of the three wait-listers? The school is not a top school, so I'm betting a few of the five admits will surely reject for better schools.

I was waitlisted and have been debating the same thing. I think I will send an email on Monday. Also, I thought it would be good to estalish some contact after receiving their notice so that they know I'm interested. Does that make sense?

Absolutely you can ask. Sometimes they will tell you, and other times they'll say they can't give that information.

It may not be ranked because if they chose a variety of research projects in those five, and someone declines - they may choose to replace that person with someone whose research interests most closely mirror that in order to keep the variety (or in some cases make sure the advisor with money gets the students).

I was waitlisted and have been debating the same thing. I think I will send an email on Monday. Also, I thought it would be good to estalish some contact after receiving their notice so that they know I'm interested. Does that make sense?

Absolutely! Keep your name in front of them. When they have someone reject the offer, I would seriously think those that stayed in touch and showed sincerity in applying would have some benefit. You can never tell/show them how much you want to be in that program. Use anything you can to your advantage.

Edited by hedjuk

Here's some advice I recently got about being on a waitlist:

It's important to keep in mind that rank-order won't always tell you much anyway. You probably won't hear anything until late March or April (when the accepted applicants have all responded, or when enough accepted applicants have declined their offer to open up a spot). By that point, other people on the waitlist will probably have made other plans. Keep in touch with your POI, let them know that their school remains among your top choices. Some schools don't rank-order their waitlist and reevaluate everyone once a spot opens up. You still have time to impress!

Emailed all my POI's (some of whom didn't know I was waitlisted), but all thanked me for emailing them. They both sounded like they really wanted me to attend, and would be in my corner. Gonna email the grad coordinator every few weeks just to my name in front of him, and remind him of my desire to attend.

Gotta do all I can! Lord knows I need a "Yes!" at this point.