Yale

bahibak

Hey,

I will be headed to Yale this fall. I just got into the PhD. program in comparative politics. I plan to focus on the Middle East as I graduated with an MES major undergrad and I see that you have an interest in that area as well. I will be in Egypt until the end of May but will be visitng Yale in June. See you around.

Edited by wannabee

I still haven't made a final decision, I am going to wait until I have a chance to visit with each of my programs, but I am leaning heavily towards Yale's American Studies program.

I was really excited about another place and loved the city, but I think I can swing living in New Haven...though finding a place that'll take me and the energetic beagle that accompanies me might be a bit difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be joining Yale this fall for a PhD in Political Science (conflict studies). Won't be able to visit the campus as I won't be in the States until August. Would really appreciate what impressions you guys got when you visited the campus/New Haven!

If you guys have questions about housing or anything, I can try to point you in the right direction. I'm a second year PhD at the medical school and live in East Rock, but people in my year got apartments downtown and in HGS, so I have some familiarity with them too.

If you guys have questions about housing or anything, I can try to point you in the right direction. I'm a second year PhD at the medical school and live in East Rock, but people in my year got apartments downtown and in HGS, so I have some familiarity with them too.

Hi,

The campus housing website says that on-campus housing is not guaranteed. Could you please tell me how the system works at Yale? And approximately how many incoming graduate students are accommodated in HGS or some other dorm?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi,

The campus housing website says that on-campus housing is not guaranteed. Could you please tell me how the system works at Yale? And approximately how many incoming graduate students are accommodated in HGS or some other dorm?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I did not apply to live at HGS, so I don't know first hand. As I understand it, if you want to live in HGS, you should fill out an application to live on-campus immediately, like as soon as you get your acceptance and decide to come here. I think as long as you do that, you have a good chance of getting in. It looks like the application opens April 1 this year.

I don't know anyone who has lived anywhere Yale-owned besides HGS, but it looks like there are other options. The ones on Prospect street are not much more convenient than any of the East Rock places in terms of location (unless you're at Divinity), but they may be cheaper or have better amenities than non-Yale apartments.

I have no idea how many incoming students opt for Yale housing. I think it is fairly common for people to stay in HGS for a year and then get an apartment, so I would guess the majority of the students in HGS are first or second years.

I just spent a long weekend in New Haven and have made the decision to accept Yale's offer. The thing I was most surprised by was the fact that I really enjoyed New Haven. It's a very walkable city, there seem to be a number of really nice cafes and bars, some cool bookstores, parks, and campus is beautiful.

I also managed to find an apartment for myself using SeaburyHill Realtors. They were fantastic -- I arrive Friday morning and I had signed a lease before dinner on Monday evening. I'll be in East Rock and it seems to be the best location according to current students.

I did not apply to live at HGS, so I don't know first hand. As I understand it, if you want to live in HGS, you should fill out an application to live on-campus immediately, like as soon as you get your acceptance and decide to come here. I think as long as you do that, you have a good chance of getting in. It looks like the application opens April 1 this year.

I don't know anyone who has lived anywhere Yale-owned besides HGS, but it looks like there are other options. The ones on Prospect street are not much more convenient than any of the East Rock places in terms of location (unless you're at Divinity), but they may be cheaper or have better amenities than non-Yale apartments.

I have no idea how many incoming students opt for Yale housing. I think it is fairly common for people to stay in HGS for a year and then get an apartment, so I would guess the majority of the students in HGS are first or second years.

Thanks a lot for the information!

I had a question about housing - so I won't return to the States until the 10th-ish of August probably. My friend whom I'll be sharing a 2 bedroom apartment might not be able to get there before July either.

1. By when does most off-campus housing become unavailable? Would July/August be too late? (I figure it will be kind of late, but like we won't be able to find anything late?)

2. If he does manage to go there by July (or maybe before), can a lease be signed without me being present in New Haven?

3. Do realtors in New Haven believe in renting 2-bdr apts without having met the people, whilst still allowing them to sign the lease? and how bad of an idea is that?

Any suggestions would be great, since we're pretty set on off-campus housing!

Also, what are the exact streets that is supposed to be the East Rock neighborhood? And any other suggestions for off-campus places to look at where young-ish grad students without families/kids normally stay?

Thanks a lot!

I had a question about housing - so I won't return to the States until the 10th-ish of August probably. My friend whom I'll be sharing a 2 bedroom apartment might not be able to get there before July either.

1. By when does most off-campus housing become unavailable? Would July/August be too late? (I figure it will be kind of late, but like we won't be able to find anything late?)

2. If he does manage to go there by July (or maybe before), can a lease be signed without me being present in New Haven?

3. Do realtors in New Haven believe in renting 2-bdr apts without having met the people, whilst still allowing them to sign the lease? and how bad of an idea is that?

Any suggestions would be great, since we're pretty set on off-campus housing!

Also, what are the exact streets that is supposed to be the East Rock neighborhood? And any other suggestions for off-campus places to look at where young-ish grad students without families/kids normally stay?

Thanks a lot!

I've heard that it's not impossible to find things in July and August, but that it's definitely more competitive. Most landlords require two to three months notice, so if someone is vacating a place in August, then May and June are the best times to look. I would make sure that at least one of you is there in July at some point so you can find something for August. I found a place using a realtor and intend to bring in a roommate at a later point in time; just make it clear that someone else will be added to the lease at a later date, it shouldn't be a problem. My realtors have said that they will handle that process. From my own experience this past weekend (I rented a small two bedroom place and they've agreed that I can find a roommate), the only requirement to rent is good credit and references for anyone who is going to be on the lease.

Also, be sure one of you has adequate funds in an American bank account. When signing a lease you'll be expected to put the security deposit down (normally 1.5 or 2 months rent); I was also required to pay the first month's rent up front to the realtor along with a $25 application fee. I have kept an American account while living abroad, but didn't have any checks -- had to get counter checks at the bank.

Elm Campus Partners (elmcampus.com) manages all of Yale's non-campus properties. Many of them are really nice. I just secured a beautiful 2BR apt. for me, my wife, and 2 kids on Mansfield Street, less than a mile from HGS, and it was a very painless process. However, if you want to consider that, go to the website and put your name on the list RIGHT NOW!! I put mine on when I got my acceptance back in the first week of February. And they have provisions so that those who are renting from out of town aren't at a disadvantage. They sent me weekly emails detailing the properties they were showing (pictures and info for all on the website) and if multiple people choose the same apartment, the one who is highest on the list gets it. They will also send you extra pics of apartments being shown if you just ask for them.

As for the rents, I'm coming from NYC so they seem VERY good to me. They have studios, 1BRs and up in all kinds of places from single buildings downtown to condo/townhouse complexes like Prospect Gardens, where a 2BR duplex with all hardwood floors and a parking space is $1115/mo. Of course, there are cheaper apts. to be had on Craigslist but as long as you're a Yale affiliate, the rental process is easy... no minimum credit ratings, references, etc... Hope this helps!

ADDED: Like the poster above said... it's a college town and a college rental market so most Fall vacancies will rent in the spring. If you wait until late June or later, it will become significantly harder to secure a place with a proper start date.

Edited by natsteel

I'll be at Yale for the 1-year MA in East Asian Studies, focusing on Japan.

I applied for housing in HGS on April 1 and received an offer on Friday for a spot, though it was my 3rd choice for bathroom situation (shared semi-private).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be attending Yale in the fall for political science - specifically political philosophy. Right now, I'm looking to live off-campus with one or two graduate students (preferably females), so if anyone is interested in that type of living situation, please message me!

Just wanted to let all the other incoming Yale grad students (English here!) know that apparently when you get to New Haven you can go to the financial aid office and they'll give you a $500 advance on your stipend. They'll just take that $500 out of your first four months' pay, so a bit more than $100/month. Very helpful for things like the first month's rent, groceries, etc. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just found out today!

Edited by wildeisonmine

I also have a room in Prospect 276, but now I want to live in HGS. I'm a bit worried that I won't feel like I am a part of main campus being up there in science hill.

I got a room in 276 Prospect Street. Anyone else here who plans to stay there?

Thanks a lot for the information!

Just wanted to let all the other incoming Yale grad students (English here!) know that apparently when you get to New Haven you can go to the financial aid office and they'll give you a $500 advance on your stipend. They'll just take that $500 out of your first four months' pay, so a bit more than $100/month. Very helpful for things like the first month's rent, groceries, etc. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I just found out today!

I also have a room in Prospect 276, but now I want to live in HGS. I'm a bit worried that I won't feel like I am a part of main campus being up there in science hill.

Have you been offered a room at the HGS? I guess it's ok for the first year. One of my profs, who did his PhD at Yale, suggested that I look for a room in Helen Hadley hall. By the way, what program are you joining?

Is there something about that on the website, because I haven't even seen anything about it?