Stipend Inquiry in engineering

enginerd

So I was investigating stipend awards and that sort of thing. I have two offers at present that I hadn't realized how different they were until I followed someones advice on one of these forums about using the cost of living calculator. What I discovered is that Berkeley's offer of 19,000/yr is really, really bad. GATech pays 24,000/yr, when you compare this with the Cost of Living calculator, this is equivalent to 44,000/yr at Berkeley. They offered me only 19,000. That is so bad. Of course 44,000 is not realistic at all, but housing cost in Berkeley is over 300% of the national average. I have a few questions for you engineers here. Is the reason why my offer was so low because I am maybe not as strong a candidate as other students? Or is Berkeley just cheap? I am going to recruiting visit on the Mar 3rd. Should I ask them if the stipend is negotiable?

On a similar note, I have seen posts where people were guaranteed funding for multiple years. I haven't gotten any offers of more than one year. Again is this maybe because I am just not a strong candidate or is it customary for engineering to only get offers guaranteeing one year?

I am also interested in hearing about the amounts you guys were awarded, just to get a better feel for what people are being paid in engineering.

$19k per year for 9 months? Like $2100 a month? IMO, that's not really really bad. Certainly, GATech's $24k offer is better, and especially when considering the COL but it's not like you'd be uncomfortable at Berkeley with that much. It wouldn't make sense for Berkeley to give you $44k...the COL calculations can be a bit misleading in that sense. I'm not from the Berkeley area but I'm familiar with CA's COL and $2100 is enough to get by reasonably well on (if you live like a grad student is expected to... bascially, nothing glamorous). I would be somewhat worried, however, if this was 19k for a year. While still doable, that would not be as comfortable.

$19k per year for 9 months? Like $2100 a month? IMO, that's not really really bad. Certainly, GATech's $24k offer is better, and especially when considering the COL but it's not like you'd be uncomfortable at Berkeley with that much. It wouldn't make sense for Berkeley to give you $44k...the COL calculations can be a bit misleading in that sense. I'm not from the Berkeley area but I'm familiar with CA's COL and $2100 is enough to get by reasonably well on (if you live like a grad student is expected to... bascially, nothing glamorous). I would be somewhat worried, however, if this was 19k for a year. While still doable, that would not be as comfortable.

It is for 12 months, not 9. Thats why I am a little worried. so more like 1500-1600 per month, but even less than that after taxes. It will be difficult.

In that case, GA Tech may be the better choice. However, if you really want to go to Berkeley, $1500 is doable if you're able to find a cheap solution to housing... I think sharing a room in an apartment ranges from $500-900, leaving at least $500 (roughly) for all other expenses. It will be tight but doable. Is there any chance you may be able to get a better stipend for the following years?

I do think I would really like to go to Berkeley. I am going to their recruiting visit in a couple weeks. I plan on asking about an increase in stipend. All they can say is no I guess. Not really sure how to approach that conversation. I have read some stuff on the internet but I think I will ask my prof here for some advice on having that conversation. I really hope it works out. I really want to go there.

I do think I would really like to go to Berkeley. I am going to their recruiting visit in a couple weeks. I plan on asking about an increase in stipend. All they can say is no I guess. Not really sure how to approach that conversation. I have read some stuff on the internet but I think I will ask my prof here for some advice on having that conversation. I really hope it works out. I really want to go there.

Honestly, I'd probably would take Berkeley if I'm in your shoe. You never know what other funding gimmicks they may have once you're there. You could probably ask the current students on funding as well.

Best of luck! :)

Also note that you probably stand a much higher chance of getting an external fellowship at Berkley- NSF, DOE, DOD, etc. There also might be better funding options once you've gotten through your first one or two years- it's certainly something to ask.