Graduate School EE- Stanford vs Georgia Tech

anuishp

Hey All

I am making a really tough decision here. I have been accepted at Stanford and at Georgia Tech for a Masters in Electrical Engineering (I will not be continuing for a Ph.D.). As of today, Georgia Tech has given me full funding for the program, whereas Stanford has given me none. I am very confused about which school to pick.

Can someone please compare and contrast the two schools and tell me what decision would be a wise one? I really need help picking the right school.

Thanks

Hey All

I am making a really tough decision here. I have been accepted at Stanford and at Georgia Tech for a Masters in Electrical Engineering (I will not be continuing for a Ph.D.). As of today, Georgia Tech has given me full funding for the program, whereas Stanford has given me none. I am very confused about which school to pick.

Can someone please compare and contrast the two schools and tell me what decision would be a wise one? I really need help picking the right school.

Thanks

It really depends on what you want to do after graduation. If you want to become an entrepreneur in say silicon valley or start your own consulting company in EE-related fields then investing in doing an MS at Stanford is worth it. If you want to get a job in a company, even the big ones, as an engineer/scientist then it wouldn't make that much of a difference which one of these top schools you have graduated from -- what matters is what you have done/learned there. So in this case I think you should stay at Tech since you will get to save some $ and also you probably already know some of the prof's and some of them also know you well so you have a better shot at building a strong research resume. On a separate note, I have heard that Stanford MS students can very rarely find prof's with whom they can do research and that in general Stanford MSEE is a very engineering/course based program and its graduates have minimal research experience if any.

I actually attended Georgia Tech for my undergrad. Would it then make sense to go to Stanford for my Masters? My ultimate goal is to land a top paying job in the industry. What would be a better option?