Medill vs. others for broadcast?

mrchevyceleb

Hi everyone!

I'm going back to school for Broadcast Journalism! I applied to Mizzou, Medill, SU Newhouse, and Arizona State

I found out last week I got into Medill!

SU has always been my first choice becuase of broadcasting-specific reputation (and sports reputation) as well as close to where I grew up, but now that I am into Medill I feel Iike am going to be very torn if I get accepted into Newhouse.

Medill seems to have such a prestige that I feel like it might be the better choice for getting a job afterwards -- but at the same time I have an inkling Newhouse's program could be a better fit for me because it's more technical and has a bit more structure. But Medill's reputation is amazing and I think I could get an amazing education there too -- and probably a better overall journalism education, with maybe not quite as much broadcast support, but I just don't know!

of course I havent gotten into SU yet but im already sweating the choice for some reason, any opinions are most welcome!

btw, I havent heard a peep from Mizzou either as I read in earlier posts, and haven't heard from Arizona either although now that I'm into Medill I think both those options are out anyways

• 2 weeks later...

I just got into Northwestern too, but for print journalism. I know Northwestern is definitely very renowned for their broadcast program though...Does anyone anything about their print program? Unfortunately, I've heard that a lot has happened to NU in the past few years, namely a scandal with their dean and the creation of a new marketing major (which some people claim is making the school switch its focus to marketing instead of journalism)? Thoughts anyone?

I also applied to Mizzou for their master's program but haven't heard a thing, not sure if that's a good or bad sign...

Edited by zanzibar

Ah! So happy to find other Medill applicants here! Congrats on the acceptances! :)

I actually applied to the Integrated Marketing Communications program at Medill (even though I'm a journalism and English undergrad), and I haven't heard anything yet.

Do you guys mind if I ask when your heard and if it was e-mail/phone/whatnot?

I just got into Northwestern too, but for print journalism. I know Northwestern is definitely very renowned for their broadcast program though...Does anyone anything about their print program? Unfortunately, I've heard that a lot has happened to NU in the past few years, namely a scandal with their dean and the creation of a new marketing major (which some people claim is making the school switch its focus to marketing instead of journalism)? Thoughts anyone?

I also applied to Mizzou for their master's program but haven't heard a thing, not sure if that's a good or bad sign...

Thanks! I heard by phone a couple weeks ago, February 14 to be exact I think. Good Luck with your decision though!

And I just realized I had a typo in my last response, sorry...Has anyone been through or heard about Medill's print program recently? I'd like some advice or insight, I heard that since they got a new dean a few years ago, the school is changing. Can anyone speak about that? Is it still good for print or should I consider other places?

Ah! So happy to find other Medill applicants here! Congrats on the acceptances! :)

I actually applied to the Integrated Marketing Communications program at Medill (even though I'm a journalism and English undergrad), and I haven't heard anything yet.

Do you guys mind if I ask when your heard and if it was e-mail/phone/whatnot?

I also heard on 2/14 by phone

haven't heard anything about the program changing...

Thanks! I heard by phone a couple weeks ago, February 14 to be exact I think. Good Luck with your decision though!

And I just realized I had a typo in my last response, sorry...Has anyone been through or heard about Medill's print program recently? I'd like some advice or insight, I heard that since they got a new dean a few years ago, the school is changing. Can anyone speak about that? Is it still good for print or should I consider other places?

Thanks!

I don't really know much about the print program, unfortunately. I do know that Medill School of Journalism is changing to Medill School of Journalism, Media, and Integrated Marketing Communications to reflect that IMC is situated within the school as well...although, I'm afraid that doesn't really help answer any of your questions.

All the best for the rest of the decision-making nonetheless!

I spoke to the Mizzou J-school graduate admissions department on February 16, and they said we should be notified in mid-March. I know. sad.gif Way after the website had said.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for clarification, I was accepted to Medill for summer term, so I heard about admission before those trying for fall....

I am heavily heavily leaning towards Newhouse (Syracuse), almost 100%

Edited by mrchevyceleb

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I got accepted to Medill for Summer (June 20 Start). I applied for Broadcast Journalism and I found out on March 15th when I checked my application status online. Pretty excited, I got into a few other schools as well but I'm pretty set on Northwestern. I am also interested in Sports Journalism and after finding out about all the ESPN alumni who went there I was sold. Plus it's in such a nice area. I don't think anyone on here can go wrong trying to decide between the elite j-schools in the nation though. Good luck, guys.

I'm officially going to Syracuse. As you say, tough to go wrong with the top programs in the country, so I am ok not going to Medill. Syracuse's program is much more up my alley and closer to family. And cheaper!! :) The programs couldn't be more different though so if you're choosing amongst a group of top schools like I was it's best to choose the program you think is the best fit I think. Good alumni all around at these places.

Have fun at Medill, I visited recently and it was great. Definitely less broadcast going on there, but maybe a more well-rounded journalism education, kind of depends what you're looking for, and Evanston is really nice. I'm coming from NYC so I actually want the opposite, small city is fine for me now!

Good luck at Medill if that's what you choose, I'm sure you'll love it.

Hey guys,

I got accepted to Medill for Summer (June 20 Start). I applied for Broadcast Journalism and I found out on March 15th when I checked my application status online. Pretty excited, I got into a few other schools as well but I'm pretty set on Northwestern. I am also interested in Sports Journalism and after finding out about all the ESPN alumni who went there I was sold. Plus it's in such a nice area. I don't think anyone on here can go wrong trying to decide between the elite j-schools in the nation though. Good luck, guys.

• 1 month later...

Just found out today that Medill had offered me over $20,000 in a merit scholarship, but it got sent to a different email address than all the other mail from Medill. I've already accepted to another program, am getting a scholarship from them, too, but knowing this a month ago (email dated from March) would definitely have caused me more consideration. :(