"Shortlist" for humanities?

buttress

I was notified that I'm on the "shortlist" for a PhD program in art history. They're flying me out for an all-expenses paid weekend in March. What does this mean? How much do I have to prepare? Are they going to weed us out like on Survivor? Or do they only invite people that they already want? I have never heard of this sort of thing happening in the humanities before, and none of my friends have either...basically I want to know how much I should stress out about making an epically good impression when I go. Any experiences like this before?

The term "short-list" doesn't inspire as much confidence as a definite "You're in!" (Still, congrats for making it that far!) With all the federal budget changes being proposed at the moment, and with government earmarks still hanging in limbo, maybe new protocol is being established in your field? :huh: As with all admissions things, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. If you feel brave, send an email to ask if this is standard for their department. You could probably work it in subtly with an RSVP type email.

A Survivor weekend would be cruel! On the other hand, I secretly wish that I would be invited to an American Gladiator-style weed out weekend. I think it would be great to get any chance beyond paper to improve my chances of admission with funding.

Their willingness to fly you and have you view their campus shows their interest in you. In fact, I don't think that is common practice for History programs. Don't worry, this is a good sign. You can only prepare as only you can. What they want to see is the quality of the candidate that they will be selecting. I'm sure your credentials have impressed them thus far. Go there and strut your stuff! It's also a good time to keep an eye for potential advisors and check the "culture" of the department you would be part of. While you're there, check out the apartments and housing situation.

Don't worry alright!

Cheering you on!

It sounds like basically the same as waitlist. A few years ago I was waitlisted at a great program. A former faculty member of that school who I kind of new said that they never waitlisted anyone they didn't want. So they probably do want you and are trying to work with their uni to make y number of people fit into x number of spots. That still doesn't mean "you're in!" but the game isn't over yet. So, like the previous poster said prepare for the best, expect the worst.

I was notified that I'm on the "shortlist" for a PhD program in art history. They're flying me out for an all-expenses paid weekend in March. What does this mean? How much do I have to prepare? Are they going to weed us out like on Survivor? Or do they only invite people that they already want? I have never heard of this sort of thing happening in the humanities before, and none of my friends have either...basically I want to know how much I should stress out about making an epically good impression when I go. Any experiences like this before?

I was on a "shortlist" for a visual studies program and was told that they wanted to have a "short phone conversation" with me (not as exciting as your opportunity, but it was something!). From my experience, I would say that they are interested in you based on your application, but want to get to know you a bit better before they actually decide. I would prepare for it like you would an interview - my experience ended up with the conversation basically being a short interview about some parts of my application with a chance for me to ask some questions about the program at the end. Since they are flying you out to visit, they might be interviewing you and, potentially, doing some preemptive recruiting. But that's just a guess on my part. It does not, however, mean that you are accepted (yet). Again, just be prepared to interview and have some questions about the program and you should be fine. Good luck with your visit!

Edited by hopelesslypostmodern