Introducing myself

Phenomenologist

Howdy guys :D

I'm just introducing myself to everyone, to join the conversations in the application season. I'm graduating this Spring with my B.A. in philosophy. I posted a bit on the philosophy boards a long time ago when I was planning on applying to philosophy PhD programs, but have since decided to go into theology instead.

In order of my interest, I've applied to: Duke Div (MDiv), Yale Div (MAR - Philosophy of Religion), Princeton Sem (MDiv), and Calvin Theological Seminary (MDiv - backup school). I kind of wished I'd applied to Uni. of Dayton and Wycliffe College (Uni. of Toronto).

I studied for a year at a small Bible college in the U.K., and did my liberal arts at community college. 3.94 GPA.

I was kind of disappointed that Yale was the only school that wanted a writing sample, as I felt like that would be one of the stronger parts of my application. What did everyone write on for that? I did an exposition of Jacques Derrida's "deconstruction," and its application to the Protestant binary of "scripture versus tradition."

Duke Div's feedback date is supposed to be Feb 25th, this Friday, so I'm looking forward to that. They have a near-50% acceptance rate, so I'm more anxious about getting good scholarships than merely getting accepted.

My interests are mostly political theology, particularly in economic theory.

Anyway, good to meet you guys :D

I'm just introducing myself to everyone, to join the conversations in the application season. I'm graduating this Spring with my B.A. in philosophy. I posted a bit on the philosophy boards a long time ago when I was planning on applying to philosophy PhD programs, but have since decided to go into theology instead.

In order of my interest, I've applied to: Duke Div (MDiv), Yale Div (MAR - Philosophy of Religion), Princeton Sem (MDiv), and Calvin Theological Seminary (MDiv - backup school). I kind of wished I'd applied to Uni. of Dayton and Wycliffe College (Uni. of Toronto).

I studied for a year at a small Bible college in the U.K., and did my liberal arts at community college. 3.94 GPA.

I was kind of disappointed that Yale was the only school that wanted a writing sample, as I felt like that would be one of the stronger parts of my application. What did everyone write on for that? I did an exposition of Jacques Derrida's "deconstruction," and its application to the Protestant binary of "scripture versus tradition."

Duke Div's feedback date is supposed to be Feb 25th, this Friday, so I'm looking forward to that. They have a near-50% acceptance rate, so I'm more anxious about getting good scholarships than merely getting accepted.

With regards to your writing sample, were you slightly hesitant to write on Derrida after John Searle & Alan Sokal's thrashing of deconstruction? I know that Yale was in the 70's a strong proponent of postmodern literary critiques of religion but it was my understanding that those scholars have subsequently left.

With regards to your writing sample, were you slightly hesitant to write on Derrida after John Searle & Alan Sokal's thrashing of deconstruction? I know that Yale was in the 70's a strong proponent of postmodern literary critiques of religion but it was my understanding that those scholars have subsequently left.

Fear not. I don't think it will matter for a MAR admittance.

I would be absolutely floored if they actually expected students to be able to write worth a damn at the MA level. I've been reading MDIV and MAR papers for years as a TA for about eight classes now. You'd be surprised how craptacular some of the writing is from students who come out of *cough* "top-tier" schools. Why? Well, most incoming students to these programs are college-age students, who are used to college-age writing. Or, they have taken a few years off from school and have forgotten how to "do academic writing." OR they are second career students, returning after a career, with families, and so on -- and they're learning how to write all over again.

Here's the rub: Having some scholarship to write about or connect with, though it may be dated, is certainly not anything that will be a problem or that you should be hesitant about on your statement of purpose.

To be sure, for a MA program, you'll probably end up starting out thinking you know what you want to do and will end up taking a few "generals" and will end up doing something totally different.

Be like Qoheleth, never settle till your dying breath!

Howdy guys =). I guess I forgot to add that I also served as a youth pastor for 3 years, which may or may not help my chances at various schools.

Dillskyplayer, that doesn't surprise me at all -- it seems like a lot of my peers are lousy writers at the undergrad level, and I would suspect that at graduate levels as well (depending on the program).

Tahuds, I'm not concerned about Searle -- if deconstruction were definitively "thrashed" in the 70's, it wouldn't be still in contemporary discourse (contrary to existentialism, which has fizzled out).

I figured as long as I can show my facility with philosophical material, it would be a good sample for a "philosophy of religion" program.

Howdy guys =). I guess I forgot to add that I also served as a youth pastor for 3 years, which may or may not help my chances at various schools.

Dillskyplayer, that doesn't surprise me at all -- it seems like a lot of my peers are lousy writers at the undergrad level, and I would suspect that at graduate levels as well (depending on the program).

Tahuds, I'm not concerned about Searle -- if deconstruction were definitively "thrashed" in the 70's, it wouldn't be still in contemporary discourse (contrary to existentialism, which has fizzled out).

I figured as long as I can show my facility with philosophical material, it would be a good sample for a "philosophy of religion" program.

Without editors where would we be? =] I've been helping with the editing of a theological journal for some time now. You would be FLOORED at how many BIG name people you read and how quickly they are "demystified" when you read their drafts, hah!

I think you'll be fine with anything that was thrashed in the '70s -- a lot can change in that time. Heck, I do Divine Warrior stuff and that fizzled out in the '70s and

'80s but is now gaining popularity again! Start the revival! =]

Without editors where would we be? =] I've been helping with the editing of a theological journal for some time now. You would be FLOORED at how many BIG name people you read and how quickly they are "demystified" when you read their drafts, hah!

That doesn't surprise me one bit, I believe it in a heartbeat.

What's "Divine Warrior" stuff?

That doesn't surprise me one bit, I believe it in a heartbeat.

What's "Divine Warrior" stuff?

Frank Moore Cross and Pat Miller's stuff on God as Warrior in the Hebrew Bible and ancient Near East. I've always been pulled into questions concerning violence in the Bible, whether human or divine. The Divine warrior is most prominent in the Hebrew Bible, and is first attested in Exod 15:1-21 --- the Song of the Sea. The LORD is a warrior! The LORD is his name! Curious stuff. Goes quite nicely with liberation theology.

Frank Moore Cross and Pat Miller's stuff on God as Warrior in the Hebrew Bible and ancient Near East. I've always been pulled into questions concerning violence in the Bible, whether human or divine. The Divine warrior is most prominent in the Hebrew Bible, and is first attested in Exod 15:1-21 --- the Song of the Sea. The LORD is a warrior! The LORD is his name! Curious stuff. Goes quite nicely with liberation theology.

Hm, very interesting! I like studies of the Hebrew Bible as well, although I'm more into theology than biblical studies. And on that note, I'm definitely interested in liberation theology, as well.

i didn't know people still take John Searle seriously. I guess after reading Bennett and Hacker's Philosophical Foundations of Neuroscience (i was admitted to a neuroscience grad program last year and was thinking about attending, thus i read this book), it's hard for me to take anything Searle or Dennett say seriously.

Anyways, if you like Derrida, then more power to you. It sounds like an interesting paper. And, if you like Searle and quote from him, more power to you. I think the main point of submitting a writing sample for grad school is that it's cogent and well-written.

Edited by new mexico

also, why didn't you apply to BU? given your interests, BU seems like a good school for you :)

I think the main point of submitting a writing sample for grad school is that it's cogent and well-written.

Yup, I think this is precisely right.

also, why didn't you apply to BU? given your interests, BU seems like a good school for you :)

I really would prefer to go to a divinity school or seminary to study "theology," rather than "religious studies" at a university. However, I may be interested in the latter for PhD work -- we'll see =).