Help with SOP!!

sm2012

I am trying to fit my purpose into one neatly typed page for LSU. They have asked:

A one-page essay stating your purpose and goals in applying to our program. In your statement, include the nature of your interest, how you became interested in this field, your short-and long-term goals, the strengths that you would bring to the information profession, and how the SLIS program will help meet your career and educational objectives. This essay will be included in the evidence on which the admission decision is based.

My question is...what distinguishes between long and short term goals? In the short term I would love to graduate with a Masters inLibrary and Information Science and work in an academic, collegiate library. Iwas attracted to LSU because of its specialty in this branch of librarianship --- how does that differ from a long term goal?

Also, my GPA is not great 2.9 - I was working full time and could not manage school and work effectively in undergrad. I took 3 classes last semester and improved drastically along with working - Do I disclose this?

Thanks!!