Those crazy adcoms....

Haustier

So this is getting really depressing. Its almost March and I still have no acceptances at all. I applied to 10 schools only 1 interview and 3 rejection (so still 6 with no word, but as I wasn't invited to interview it doesn't look good). I've got a feeling the school I interviewed with is going to waitlist me at best as apparently the first round of acceptances went out today. So for undergrad, I went to a top 5 program and was in the top 5% of GPAs. Also I've got 5 semesters of research (w/ a fellowship) and what I thought to be 4 really good letters of recommendations. I'm really confused as to what the adcoms are even looking for anymore.

However, all the rejections I've gotten thus far tend to read something like "well we didn't think you would consider accepting anyways, so we just went ahead and rejected you"

I thought I would be in pretty rare supply as I have a dual degree in engineering and molecular genetics. That and my research was in bacterial genetics...and it seems like everyone I interviewed with was a cancer biologist.

The only silver lining is my top schools haven't sent a rejection yet, but then again I haven't been offered to interview either.

However, all the rejections I've gotten thus far tend to read something like "well we didn't think you would consider accepting anyways, so we just went ahead and rejected you"

That's really tough. I hope that they end up being right and you get into a better program for you.

That's bizzare! Hopefully you'll get acceptance(s) from your top schools!

There are ways to express level of enthusiasm in attending a school. One would be: In the "thank you" email that you write for each interviewer, dont forget to reaffirm your interest in attending his/her program. This may remove any doubt on their part.

Well, at least you received personalized rejection letters. I got those generic ones <_<

That's bizzare! Hopefully you'll get acceptance(s) from your top schools!

There are ways to express level of enthusiasm in attending a school. One would be: In the "thank you" email that you write for each interviewer, dont forget to reaffirm your interest in attending his/her program. This may remove any doubt on their part.

Well, at least you received personalized rejection letters. I got those generic ones <_<

Dont worry, it happens..With a GRE score of 1600 and a compettive gpa, I have also got only rejections yet. Although, being an international applicant, i shouldn't have been too optimistic cuz my research ex was not too good. Moreover, UMich rejected my application after an interview telling me that my research interests dont match with the scientists who are accepting grad students.