PhD epidemiology Hopkins

epidemic

I have seen lot of results for PhD epid at Hopkins lately.

Those of you who have been rejected/accepted - was this after an interview?

Did you get an official email ? Did your status change on the application site?

I have no info and am wondering.......:unsure:.

Just hanging and waiting...no results yet...where did you obtain those info that lots of results for PhD at Hopkins?

Did you send emails to check out the decision making process?

Hi epidemic.

I received my acceptance letter via e-mail about 2-3 weeks after an interview. I didn't see any status change on the application site. The decisions seem to be rolling out rather slowly, so hang in there.

Hi epidemic.

I received my acceptance letter via e-mail about 2-3 weeks after an interview. I didn't see any status change on the application site. The decisions seem to be rolling out rather slowly, so hang in there.

Hi Zose,when did you get the interview?

Status changed today.Rejected :(

Hi epidemic. Sorry to hear about the rejection. Good luck with your other school applications.

Epi_man, the interview was the first week of February. Also, my online status was recently updated as well.

Good luck!

Hi epidemic. Sorry to hear about the rejection. Good luck with your other school applications.

Epi_man, the interview was the first week of February. Also, my online status was recently updated as well.

Good luck!

Congrats on your acceptance Zose. I have 2 acceptances but Hopkins,of course was the dream. I am an international student and had an interview with a Hopkins professor over the phone towards the end of January.Rejection after interview feels doubly bad.

Could you share your stats if you don't mind?

Congrats on your acceptance Zose. I have 2 acceptances but Hopkins,of course was the dream. I am an international student and had an interview with a Hopkins professor over the phone towards the end of January.Rejection after interview feels doubly bad.

Could you share your stats if you don't mind?

I heard that this year there were a lot more applications and a lot of strong applications, so don't feel bad....especially with the other 2 acceptances!

I'm not a big fan of stats (i.e. GPAs and GREs...I don't like being defined by a number, whether it's good or bad), plus I'm not sure how much the GREs are weighted (I did very well on math, but my verbal scores were rather pathetic and that didn't seem to matter). I think it's the other stuff (i.e. research and other experience) that matters more and I can't really list it all out...it's more of a narrative. In general though, I've been working in research, at some capacity, for the past 7 years. I've written and presented a number of abstracts and I've published (1 as first author). I'm currently finishing up my MPH in epi and I've had opportunities to tutor and TA and I was awarded a grant to work on a summer research project. I also absolutely love epi theory/methods (not a stat, but a feeling that I hope came through in my application).

I don't know what goes into the decision-making process, but sometimes you're just not a good fit for school...it really stinks, but that's ok. Go to a school that you want that wants you right back. Best of luck on making a decision on where to attend (I'm finding the process excruciatingly difficult).

I heard that this year there were a lot more applications and a lot of strong applications, so don't feel bad....especially with the other 2 acceptances!

I'm not a big fan of stats (i.e. GPAs and GREs...I don't like being defined by a number, whether it's good or bad), plus I'm not sure how much the GREs are weighted (I did very well on math, but my verbal scores were rather pathetic and that didn't seem to matter). I think it's the other stuff (i.e. research and other experience) that matters more and I can't really list it all out...it's more of a narrative. In general though, I've been working in research, at some capacity, for the past 7 years. I've written and presented a number of abstracts and I've published (1 as first author). I'm currently finishing up my MPH in epi and I've had opportunities to tutor and TA and I was awarded a grant to work on a summer research project. I also absolutely love epi theory/methods (not a stat, but a feeling that I hope came through in my application).

I don't know what goes into the decision-making process, but sometimes you're just not a good fit for school...it really stinks, but that's ok. Go to a school that you want that wants you right back. Best of luck on making a decision on where to attend (I'm finding the process excruciatingly difficult).

Thanks for sharing ! Yes,I was told that this was the most competitive year for Epi PhD at Hopkins.7 years in research is unbeatable.:)

I have been mostly in programme management and teaching [in a developing country] though I have done some research and published too.I was hoping to make a career switch to research.

I have not received any funding from the two universities that have accepted me and therefore might not finally come over there [ I assume you are from the US]

Are you aware of any university which would fund all the candidates they accept,including international students? Maybe I will apply next time...:(

Thanks for sharing ! Yes,I was told that this was the most competitive year for Epi PhD at Hopkins.7 years in research is unbeatable.:)

I have been mostly in programme management and teaching [in a developing country] though I have done some research and published too.I was hoping to make a career switch to research.

I have not received any funding from the two universities that have accepted me and therefore might not finally come over there [ I assume you are from the US]

Are you aware of any university which would fund all the candidates they accept,including international students? Maybe I will apply next time...:(

Hi epidemic.

I saw that you were accepted to Pittsburgh, which is a great school and one that I am considering as well. I don't think that the GSR positions are limited to US citizens, so you could definitely try to get one of those positions. I would recommend e-mailing the contact person for the area that you are interested in working in and seeing if they have any openings rather than waiting for someone to contact you (it seems like the system is in a bit of a transition right now). I spoke with the Epi Program Administrator about this and she was very friendly and helpful.

Good luck!

Hi epidemic.

I saw that you were accepted to Pittsburgh, which is a great school and one that I am considering as well. I don't think that the GSR positions are limited to US citizens, so you could definitely try to get one of those positions. I would recommend e-mailing the contact person for the area that you are interested in working in and seeing if they have any openings rather than waiting for someone to contact you (it seems like the system is in a bit of a transition right now). I spoke with the Epi Program Administrator about this and she was very friendly and helpful.

Good luck!

Hi Zose! Thanks for the timely advice...I am going to do just that.Will keep you updated. Which school have you finally decided on?

Hi Zose! Thanks for the timely advice...I am going to do just that.Will keep you updated. Which school have you finally decided on?

Hi epidemic.

I'm having a very difficult time deciding on where to go, so my decision changes from day to day. Today I'm deciding between Harvard and BU, but still considering JHSPH. I've been talking to as many professors and students as I can to help me decide. I'll let you know when I make a decision. Please keep me updated as you try to get at GSR position. The funding that comes along with the GSR position is part of the reason why still haven't totally ruled out Pitt. Good luck!

Hi epidemic.

I'm having a very difficult time deciding on where to go, so my decision changes from day to day. Today I'm deciding between Harvard and BU, but still considering JHSPH. I've been talking to as many professors and students as I can to help me decide. I'll let you know when I make a decision. Please keep me updated as you try to get at GSR position. The funding that comes along with the GSR position is part of the reason why still haven't totally ruled out Pitt. Good luck!

"Foreigners can only be hired (a) as GSRs on federal grants, or (b on pharma studies.The difficulty is not because you are not a competitive candidate but because NIH is funding far fewer grants than before and when they do so they cut at least 20% from the proposed budget. In the old days (not that long ago) people had more money. Also, if you had a green card you would easily get into a training grant which would pay your tuition fees and a stipend."

Now I am wishing I had a green card.Whatever that is.:rolleyes:

I started the whole application process thinking PhD meant automatic funding.....

Has funding become difficult for US citizens also? Or is it just for international students?

Edited by epidemic

• 1 month later...

Hi epidemic.

Hi Zose,just wanted to know what you decided finally.I might make it to Pittsburgh thanks to your advice.

I agree with you epidemic, I thought admission into a PhD program somewhat meant automatic funding...definitely not the case! By the way, where did you get that information on "Foreigners can only be hired (a) as GSRs on federal grants, or (b on pharma studies." I'm international too :rolleyes:

"Foreigners can only be hired (a) as GSRs on federal grants, or (b on pharma studies.The difficulty is not because you are not a competitive candidate but because NIH is funding far fewer grants than before and when they do so they cut at least 20% from the proposed budget. In the old days (not that long ago) people had more money. Also, if you had a green card you would easily get into a training grant which would pay your tuition fees and a stipend."

Now I am wishing I had a green card.Whatever that is.:rolleyes:

I started the whole application process thinking PhD meant automatic funding.....

Has funding become difficult for US citizens also? Or is it just for international students?

Hi Zose,just wanted to know what you decided finally.I might make it to Pittsburgh thanks to your advice.

Hey epidemic! I'm so glad to hear that things are falling into place. I hope it all works out for you with Pittsburgh!

I finally decided on Harvard. It was my first choice from the start and I received funding...it just took me a while to work through some concerns that I had and to feel comfortable and happy with my decision.

Good luck in the fall!

Hey epidemic! I'm so glad to hear that things are falling into place. I hope it all works out for you with Pittsburgh!

I finally decided on Harvard. It was my first choice from the start and I received funding...it just took me a while to work through some concerns that I had and to feel comfortable and happy with my decision.

Good luck in the fall!

Great to hear from you! Hope I get to meet you somewhere...a conference perhaps...But how would I know you are zose?:)

Thanks once again for the great advice.Best wishes for a great time at Harvard!

I agree with you epidemic, I thought admission into a PhD program somewhat meant automatic funding...definitely not the case! By the way, where did you get that information on "Foreigners can only be hired (a) as GSRs on federal grants, or (b on pharma studies." I'm international too :rolleyes:

Hi ! that was a quote from an e-mail I received from a faculty member.We are not eligible for any of the training grants which fund many PhD students in the US.Moreover funding has been extremely tight this year.