Columbia SocioMedical Sciences

Curlygrrl

Hey,

I applied to the program, sociology track. I haven't heard anything, but neither has anyone else (except a few master's I think). The waiting is killing me too!

I know when I saw the acceptances and rejections from the MPH track I freaked out!! I heard that schools usually decide on their PhD's first then Masters because some PhD applicants are asked to join the Masters program. But I guess in this instance that is not the case. The waiting is torturous and if the poster on the results page is right we have another week or two of this hell!

I'm glad we have a forum for the Sociology track. I wonder how many they will accept under Sociology. I was looking at the stats for other Columbia departments and other universities and seen some schools accept less than 15 out of ~300 applicants. I wonder how many applied to our department and track. So far, there are three confirmed.

I am also tortured waiting to hear these results.

Best of luck to us all. :)

I'm glad we have a forum for the Sociology track. I wonder how many they will accept under Sociology. I was looking at the stats for other Columbia departments and other universities and seen some schools accept less than 15 out of ~300 applicants. I wonder how many applied to our department and track. So far, there are three confirmed.

I am also tortured waiting to hear these results.

Best of luck to us all. :)

Three confirmed- you mean us three under this forum topic, right? lol ;)

Two years ago when I inquired about the program I was told the following (hopefully I am recalling accurately): Usually around 150 students apply to the SMS program and almost a third of them chose sociology as their stream. In a given year they will choose at the most 7 students for the whol cohort (but most often less) and how many per stream is dependent on the applicants for that year. Now I an not sure if that 7 includes the DrPH applicants. So thi is an extremely tough program to get into. Even more so if you are an international student- which sucks for me!!

Now it seems this year there are a record number of applicants across the board in all schools and programs so for all we know the pool is much larger- but cohorts remain the same or are getting smaller. It is so tough out there!!

I truly wish us all the best- I hope one of us three gets in if we cannot all get in. Fingers crossed we get some positive news soon!!