Should I mention a possibility of NASA giving me a fellowship

lotrsimp12345

If it's just a possibility, I would say no-- keep on waiting. If you receive news that you are definitely going to be awarded a fellowship from NASA, then it would be appropriate to contact the individual schools and let them know you've received external funding and would like the opportunity to update your application. Unfortunately, if you haven't received the fellowship yet, it's still just a 'possibility,' and schools won't make their decisions based on the fact that you might possibly get funding from NASA. Many students apply for fellowships and other forms of external funding before they apply (the NSF GRFP being one common example), so although you might be extremely fortunate and end up paying your own way through grad school, there are a bunch of other candidates out there who might be able to do the same.

I think you said on another thread that NASA will give this to you if you get into grad school. First of all, congratulations! Second of all, yes, absolutely tell you grad schools! When they have to make the hard decisions about who to admit, knowing that you have outside funding is another point in your favor.

I think you said on another thread that NASA will give this to you if you get into grad school. First of all, congratulations! Second of all, yes, absolutely tell you grad schools! When they have to make the hard decisions about who to admit, knowing that you have outside funding is another point in your favor.

I agree. I would either email the POI you've already been in touch with or the department contact person. It looks like funding is going to be really tight this year, and if you have a financial offer of funding (again make sure it's a pretty firm offer), it could help the adcom's decisions. (Specifically, it could allow them to accept you, and then offer funding to someone else.)

However, was this information already disclosed on your application?? I felt like every application I filled out asked if I had applied for NSF, Fulbright, McNair, etc. scholarships. I'm guessing you didn't already enter the NASA possibility? If not, then definitely relay the information. If so, repeating the information might not be such a good idea.

P.S. Super congrats on being considered for a fellowship! The only thing I have that's coming close to paying for my tuition is a lottery ticket. If I win, even a little, you can bet your sweet ass I'm going to tell them I can fund myself too!

What I asked:

Should I apply to the fellowship even though I am waiting to hear back from schools?I am not sure when they will make decisions. Response:

If you can get the paperwork started now, then you can finish it by the time you arrive in Late May.

Try it if possible to keep the options open.

Opinion:

I am their top pick for a internship. But, not sure about the fellowship based on the response I got.

How much is a fellowship from NASA? Would it enough to cover the cost?

Edited by lotrsimp12345

What I asked:

Should I apply to the fellowship even though I am waiting to hear back from schools?I am not sure when they will make decisions. Response:

If you can get the paperwork started now, then you can finish it by the time you arrive in Late May.

Try it if possible to keep the options open.

Opinion:

I am their top pick for a internship. But, not sure about the fellowship based on the response I got.

How much is a fellowship from NASA? Would it enough to cover the cost?

If I am reading this correctly, (1) the application isn't due until May and (2) you're not 100% certain they're going to pick you. It would be tricky for any of us to say without knowing the particulars, and even then, it would still be up to you...

I think that it would be a really good idea to run this buy one or two of the people who wrote your LORs. Professors, in particular, could give you insight about how this information would be taken by other professors. Someone who already wrote an LOR for you wants you to do well AND knows the particulars (AND has a professional interest in you looking good to the adcoms). It is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Best of luck!