Author & Book Recommendations for Incarnational Theology?

B-612

Hi all,

In undergraduate school I majored in English, writing, philosophy and religion. I became a fan back then of the existentialists, especially Camus. I think one of the reasons I love Camus is because he makes his philosophy incarnational through the fictional narrative--not being overly abstract and rhetorical. But I'm not an atheist/agnostic as Camus was.

In divinity school, I discovered Flannery O'Connor, who does the same thing but with her Catholic theology--a theology which in many ways is unorthodox but in many others is more orthodox than traditional Catholic theology.

Can anyone recommend any other good theologians or philosophers (mainly theologians) who convey their messages via fiction writing? Christian existentialism is of particular interest to me.

Can anyone recommend any other good theologians or philosophers (mainly theologians) who convey their messages via fiction writing? Christian existentialism is of particular interest to me.

Ayn Rand. HA HA! No, just kidding. (ouch, I hope that doesn't start a flamewar...)

More seriously, I love Flannery O'Connor. I haven't read any heavy-duty theology, so I can't help you much. As far as popular theologians go, these answers are probably way too obvious: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, Walker Percy, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky. Maybe give Shusaku Endo a try (esp. "Silence")?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first of all I'm going to assume whoever suggested Left Behind (i.e. LeHaye and Jenkins) was joking. Unless you "read" them via the slacktivist blog. B) (Which, incidentally, is my first recommendation for "theology by other means," even if it's not actually fiction).

As far as Christian stuff goes, Lewis and Chesterton are the two major authors besides O'Connor. If you like medieval lit, there is a lot of "fiction" that deals heavily in theology (not just, ahem, "religious themes"). The B version of Piers Plowman, maybe? If you are into sci-fi--James Blish, A Case of Conscience is the classic. You might also want to pick up The Gospel According to Science Fiction, which looks at religious themes in various SF books, short stories and movies. It's interesting and in and of itself, but more importantly, it serves as a great way to get exposure to lots of 'new' authors.

I think there's also a case to be made for Les Miserables as a religious-philosophical novel, and then on the atheist existentialist front Beauvoir has some good stuff.

I just have to chime in to agree with Sparky. I love the slacktivist blog. The Left Behind deconstruction is great, but I really enjoy almost everything written by this author.

Also, another thought in the sci-fi vein: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, which I've heard described as an updated version of the Blish novel. Also its sequel, Children of God. Beyond these, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (and related series, Book of the Long Sun and Book of the Short Sun) have been seen as Christian allegory (by some), although there's definitely a LOT going on in everything by this inscrutable Catholic genius. And of course, there's Tolkien, who was not an allegorist, but still...

Well, first of all I'm going to assume whoever suggested Left Behind (i.e. LeHaye and Jenkins) was joking. Unless you "read" them via the slacktivist blog. B) (Which, incidentally, is my first recommendation for "theology by other means," even if it's not actually fiction).

As far as Christian stuff goes, Lewis and Chesterton are the two major authors besides O'Connor. If you like medieval lit, there is a lot of "fiction" that deals heavily in theology (not just, ahem, "religious themes"). The B version of Piers Plowman, maybe? If you are into sci-fi--James Blish, A Case of Conscience is the classic. You might also want to pick up The Gospel According to Science Fiction, which looks at religious themes in various SF books, short stories and movies. It's interesting and in and of itself, but more importantly, it serves as a great way to get exposure to lots of 'new' authors.

I think there's also a case to be made for Les Miserables as a religious-philosophical novel, and then on the atheist existentialist front Beauvoir has some good stuff.

Any opportunity to read more Beauvoir is an opportunity I will take. I don't tend to read sci-fi literature, but perhaps it's time I delve back into that genre. I was on a Battlestar Galactica kick for a good while (robots that look like humans? space age religious pluralism? yes, please!) and it consumed my life.

I just have to chime in to agree with Sparky. I love the slacktivist blog. The Left Behind deconstruction is great, but I really enjoy almost everything written by this author.

Also, another thought in the sci-fi vein: The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, which I've heard described as an updated version of the Blish novel. Also its sequel, Children of God. Beyond these, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun (and related series, Book of the Long Sun and Book of the Short Sun) have been seen as Christian allegory (by some), although there's definitely a LOT going on in everything by this inscrutable Catholic genius. And of course, there's Tolkien, who was not an allegorist, but still...

I've heard of The Sparrow. I think reading your post is a sign I should read it. Tolkien--always welcome.