2012 cycle: Management/Entrepreneurship/International Business

smithaw3

Hello,

I want a Management Ph.D. of some sort. What should I think about when applying for entrance in the class of 2012.

My research interests are workable/profitable business models that can benefit impoverished third world peoples. I know that sounds narrow, but I am guessing there are some programs where I fit.

My profile is not stellar. I have a Master's in Applied Economics from humble Western Kentucky University, but economics Ph.D. programs are just a little too math heavy for me. My GRE score is a 1460 (800 math), but I have never taken the GMAT. The converter calculator on ETS predicted I would get a 730 on the GMAT. I think I can swing this. I barely studied for the GRE. My undergrad GPA was a 3.67. I only had one undergraduate math course, Calc 1 and a PhD in Economics seems a little bit hellish--mathematically-- for someone like me. My work experience is not impressive. I have taught Economics labs in my Master's program and lived on a dairy farm my whole life.

I guess my "specialty" interests would either be entrepreneurship or International Business. Primarily, however, I want to teach! Any thoughts? Where should I apply with the above profile? I am not one of the "go big or go home" crowd. I just want a Ph.D., and I want to teach. I am not lazy, but I am just guessing that I won't be a world-beater researcher either.

Can I get into any ranked programs? What would you shoot for?

The main thing I would do is take more math courses (regardless of which path you decide). Your GRE is good enough to not be a problem anywhere. I would go through distancecalculus.com, university of minnesota or wisconsin correspondence courses, or enroll somewhere locally and take calc 2, linear alegbra, etc. at a minimum.

The best thing to do after that is go to as many websites and search faculty bios until you find some that have similar interests, and start there. Hope that helps :)

It depends on what you want to study in management. Some research will require a heavier background in math (e.g., finance), while others will be more psychology or sociology (e.g., OB). I'm not sure where entrepreneurship or international business fall, but a lot of schools generally lump those with OB departments so I assume they're more social science.

If you're more interested in the social science part of business I would recommend stats classes over math. Math classes will give you a better foundation for stats but could be overkill for the level of stats you'll need to be successful.

With what you shared you should be fine getting into a decent program. I would recommend not emphasizing your desire to teach too much in your applications. The goal of most PhD programs is to develop researchers. There are a few programs out there that have classes on teaching (U Washington comes to mind) but they are rare.