PLAN B

MinervasOwl

so I got two rejections and one acceptance sans funding. That leaves one decision to go and no big hopes. I only applied to 4 because I couldn't afford to pay for more than that and honestly it was hard enough wringing timely recommendation letters from my professors for 4 places when I'm several continents (or at least a few continents) away and could only request via email.

So, I'm currently working as a teacher and the place where I work said I either had to get a phd or get out and now I'm thinking I need a plan B. Any ideas? Anyone else out there have a plan B or thinking about coming up with a plan B?

I'm in a similar boat. So far I've heard absolutely nothing about funding from anyone (besides forwards of postings for GA positions I'm not qualified for). Plan A is to start my MLIS this fall but without funding I absolutely can't afford grad school.

I've been accepted to a couple places that would let me defer admission for a year, so my plan B is to move back in with my parents and work full time as a lab tech and part time at the job I've had since high school. Not really a happy plan as I haven't really enjoyed lab work for a couple years, but at least I'd be earning a reasonable amount of money.

Well, I too seem to have ended up on the same proverbial boat. I didn't think I'll be getting through this year and I had to come up with a temporary solution.

I have managed to wrangle a two-year project fellowship from my University (in India) which should let me stay afloat for the moment. The work is boring and it pays peanuts, but it's still something. Maybe you could look into something like this? Just a thought.

If you have any other interests, perhaps this is the time to really go after them?

Best of luck.

I'm there too. I've only heard from 3/9 PhD programs, and 0/4 MA programs, but I'm starting to look at other options, which is heartbreaking. The reality is that even if I get in somewhere, finding a tenure-track position when I'm done is going to be incredibly difficult. I'd also like more flexibility in location, and I'm already tired of being broke. The thought of not being part of Academia is devastating, but maybe I should take a more practical route...

so I got two rejections and one acceptance sans funding. That leaves one decision to go and no big hopes. I only applied to 4 because I couldn't afford to pay for more than that and honestly it was hard enough wringing timely recommendation letters from my professors for 4 places when I'm several continents (or at least a few continents) away and could only request via email.

So, I'm currently working as a teacher and the place where I work said I either had to get a phd or get out and now I'm thinking I need a plan B. Any ideas? Anyone else out there have a plan B or thinking about coming up with a plan B?

I'm just curious--- you got one acceptance, so isn't there any way you could get a loan to get through that first year, and then get funding for your second year and beyond? Because it seems such a shame to give up because of funding, when you got in somewhere!

I'm there too. I've only heard from 3/9 PhD programs, and 0/4 MA programs, but I'm starting to look at other options, which is heartbreaking. The reality is that even if I get in somewhere, finding a tenure-track position when I'm done is going to be incredibly difficult. I'd also like more flexibility in location, and I'm already tired of being broke. The thought of not being part of Academia is devastating, but maybe I should take a more practical route...

I wouldn't give up hope yet! Way back when, I applied to 4 ph.d. programs and 1 MA program, and I only got into the MA program. Later, I was told MAs are much easier to get into than Ph.D...so don't lose hope!! I wish you the best!

Apply again? I did it after going 0 for 4 last year. I learned a lot from the process, I redid my SoP, made sure I researched my schools thoroughly and I've been accepted at some pretty good schools this year, with funding. If you really want to go to grad school, don't give up on it just yet.

Edited by newms

• 9 months later...

I'm applying again this year- wish me luck.

The loan option someone mentioned was not viable because I'm from Pakistan and if you convert the 13000 pounds a year tuition into Pakistani currency, that's roughly a mid to upper level management professional's salary for a whole year. It's roughly twice the price of my car and its enough to pay rent on a 2 bedroom house for 2 and a half years

just trying to put the figure in perspective.