How to pay for visiting days?

lydibird

I've been accepted to several schools who have invited me to attend visiting days. I'm still an undergrad with almost no money, and while I want to attend I just don't know how I'll afford it.

I've spoken to two schools about my dilemma, and they said that they could pay for a hotel and food, but none are able to pay for my airfare. I don't think this is unusual for my field, but it is frustrating. I'm still waiting on one more school, too, and if accepted I expect I'll want to attend their visiting days as well.

Has anyone had any luck finding alternative ways to pay for these visits? I could probably afford to attend one of these visiting days out of my pocket, but how could I choose which one?

1) drive your hybrid or diesel car.

2) ask your parents, significant others, etc. for money

3) ask your undergrad dept chair

4) ask your alumni association

5) get an american express card - so you get points for your $ spent....or get an airline's credit card so you get points (maybe enough to get trip 3)

6) stop spending so much money on booze

7) narrow down your school choices

8) take out extra student loans in the fall to pay off your airfare charges.

I've been accepted to several schools who have invited me to attend visiting days. I'm still an undergrad with almost no money, and while I want to attend I just don't know how I'll afford it.

I've spoken to two schools about my dilemma, and they said that they could pay for a hotel and food, but none are able to pay for my airfare. I don't think this is unusual for my field, but it is frustrating. I'm still waiting on one more school, too, and if accepted I expect I'll want to attend their visiting days as well.

Has anyone had any luck finding alternative ways to pay for these visits? I could probably afford to attend one of these visiting days out of my pocket, but how could I choose which one?

2) ask your parents, significant others, etc. for money

6) stop spending so much money on booze

Ha, yes! I especially like these two from the list. In my experience, some people really are master scrimpers living very close to the bone, but most undergrads, myself included, would have extra money if they stopped drinking and/or eating out. And I definitely endorse asking family members. If need be, ask them to give you a loan. Even if your parents charge you interest, it'll probably be less than the rate on a student loan, and they probably don't want to see you buried in more debt than is strictly necessary.

I definitely don't think it's a good idea to go into debt in order to attend a visit day. Surely you have a pretty good idea which schools you are most interested in. You mentioned you could afford to go to one, so maybe if you could get deals with lodging and food covered you could afford to go to your 2-3 top choices.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't considered most of those. I don't drink at all and don't eat out often, but I could probably cut back on some aspects of my budget. Clothes, maybe? Hmmm... that's going to hurt!

My parents don't have money to lend me right now, but I can speak with my department and alumni association. Or my grandma might be able to help me out... *wheels turning as I decide how many people I should beg for money* I bet that teenage bagger at the grocery store could help me out, too. He probably has more income than I do right now. ;)

i also recommend the credit card option, if your relatives are unable to help you. yes, there are charges but once you get into grad school, hopefully you will be able to pay it off using the stipend. and if possible, visit all schools in the same spree to save money and time. or just visit the ones that you absolutely want to attend. but this is tricky, without visiting the places.