Stanford Anthropology

Drmon

Has anybody received the official email notification from Stanford, Department of Anthropology?

Previously, did many applicants get the chance of interview?

The official website mentioned that the decision status will be sent via Email before 28 Feb

However I still have not got any information from email and forums.

thanks for reply.:D

Edited by Drmon

I haven't gotten any word back yet either. I've been checking my inbox and grad cafe like mad this week since I've been expecting to hear from them any day now. Hopefully we'll hear from them tomorrow!

I have been too. I'm working in the field right now, so every day I get back from site I check all of those things hoping to hear something. I think maybe today is the day? But I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear until later.

Hi! This is wait is intense, they have a real closed door policy dont they...ugh!

Hi everyone,

We've had a few discussions about Stanford in the "Anthropology 2011" thread. One poster knows someone who has already gotten an interview/offer, so I'm under the assumption that no news is bad news:

Best wishes,

anthroapp

Yeah . . . wow, Stanford anthropology has strange policies. I could hardly get anyone to talk to me. I sent out five emails to professors in the department (before I applied) and only received one, curt reply saying that I should apply. Funny how different schools seem to have their own, coordinated response strategies. I'm sure they'll send out a storm of rejection letters soon though.

cant wait ;)

Yeah . . . wow, Stanford anthropology has strange policies. I could hardly get anyone to talk to me. I sent out five emails to professors in the department (before I applied) and only received one, curt reply saying that I should apply. Funny how different schools seem to have their own, coordinated response strategies. I'm sure they'll send out a storm of rejection letters soon though.

Aww, man. Well ESPECIALLY if they've already notified their admitted students, I hope they stick to their 2/28 deadline for the rest of us. I still have a little glimmer of hope that the admitted person in question just got an informal email from their POI ahead of the official notification, and it doesn't necessarily mean I'm doomed. At this point I just want to know where I stand.

I called this morning, but didn't reach anyone. I'm tempted to try emailing, but I think that would be overkill since I already left a message.

Applying to PhD programs has taught me a lot about myself, mainly that I am incredibly bad at sitting back and waiting.

Has anyone tried calling or e-mailing yet? I feel it's in order since they missed their own deadline.

I got a reply from an email I sent to my POI a few days ago:

"To my knowledge the final outcome of the application process has not been released by the committee, but I assume they will be notifying fairly soon. The whole thing devolves to the admission committee, so there's not much I can do or say at this moment, but I'll let you know as soon I hear anything definitive. I suspect you'll know before me..."

Thank you SO much for sharing this news. It makes the waiting much easier to know that no one knows, somehow!

"To my knowledge the final outcome of the application process has not been released by the committee, but I assume they will be notifying fairly soon. The whole thing devolves to the admission committee, so there's not much I can do or say at this moment, but I'll let you know as soon I hear anything definitive. I suspect you'll know before me..."

Thanks for your sharing!!! :lol:

Quick Q for everyone applying and the friend of a friend who got in/interviewed:

Who has an M.A.? I am under the impression that there is a de facto MA requirement, although the last years cohort was slightly different. thoughts?

Thanks for your sharing!!! :lol:

I do not have an M.A., which is why I'm not too hopeful about my chances. Looking at past application seasons, it does seems as though this is an unspoken requirement.

Thanks for passing along the info from your POI! Really helpful. Keep us updated if you hear anything else.

Quick Q for everyone applying and the friend of a friend who got in/interviewed:

Who has an M.A.? I am under the impression that there is a de facto MA requirement, although the last years cohort was slightly different. thoughts?

Looking at past application seasons, it does seems as though this is an unspoken requirement.

Secret MA requirements and a higher than average application fee? Gee, thanks, Stanford.:rolleyes:

I'm waiting to hear as well. I don't have an MA and don't have the strongest fit with their faculty, so I'm fully expecting a rejection. From old threads here, it does look like they have a bad habit of missing their own response deadline by about a week, so let's not get worried just yet! Thanks for sharing your information, everyone!

Edited by space-cat

Graduate Admissions season for applications received in 2010 - 2011 academic year is now closed. Decision status will be announced via email to each applicant before 4 March 2011. Applicants offered admission must accept the offer by 15 April 2011. Offers not accepted by 15 April 2011 are voided.

looks like we'll all know soon enough...

At least they were nice enough to change it on the website.

Graduate Admissions season for applications received in 2010 - 2011 academic year is now closed. Decision status will be announced via email to each applicant before 4 March 2011. Applicants offered admission must accept the offer by 15 April 2011. Offers not accepted by 15 April 2011 are voided.

looks like we'll all know soon enough...

At least they were nice enough to change it on the website.

Aye, more than a few other schools are still keeping people in the dark. A date, even if tentative, is a comfort.