Johns Hopkins funding?

XOwlfan

I received a call last week letting me know that I've been accepted into the doctoral program in Health, Behavior, and Society at JHU (my online status hasn't changed yet though). I was curious if any other JHU admits have received word about their funding?? Also, does anyone know if the new Sommer Scholars for have been determined? I really love the program, but I have a feeling that they won't come anywhere close to matching an offer I have from another school. Thanks!

I received a call last week letting me know that I've been accepted into the doctoral program in Health, Behavior, and Society at JHU (my online status hasn't changed yet though). I was curious if any other JHU admits have received word about their funding?? Also, does anyone know if the new Sommer Scholars for have been determined? I really love the program, but I have a feeling that they won't come anywhere close to matching an offer I have from another school. Thanks!

Hi XOwlfan.

I cannot speak for HBS, but for epi the funding information was in the acceptance letter. I don't know if this is true across departments, but according to the HBS web page, funding information should be included in the letter. I'd suggest just calling and asking when that information will be made available. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be completed prior to sending out the official letter, so it could just take some time.

I know absolutely nothing about the Sommer Scholars program. According to the web page (again), doctoral students are nominated for the scholarship after completing one full academic year at the Bloomberg School, so it seems like you're not eligible until after you're already a student at the school, but I have no idea.

Sorry I can't be of much help other than regurgitating what is online.

Hi XOwlfan.

I cannot speak for HBS, but for epi the funding information was in the acceptance letter. I don't know if this is true across departments, but according to the HBS web page, funding information should be included in the letter. I'd suggest just calling and asking when that information will be made available. I'm sure there is a lot of paperwork that needs to be completed prior to sending out the official letter, so it could just take some time.

I know absolutely nothing about the Sommer Scholars program. According to the web page (again), doctoral students are nominated for the scholarship after completing one full academic year at the Bloomberg School, so it seems like you're not eligible until after you're already a student at the school, but I have no idea.

Sorry I can't be of much help other than regurgitating what is online.

Thank you for the info! I must have read through the website about the Sommer Scholarship more than a dozen times and never even noticed the requirement for doctoral students to have been in the program a full-year before being considered. That's a bummer. I'll keep a look out for my letter--they said it could be a week or so before it comes.

Were you granted any sort of stipend in addition to a scholarship?

Hi XOwlfan, I was accepted to JHU's health policy & mgmt dept. with no funding the first two years (75% tuition remission years 3-5). I also asked about RA/TA-ing and they said that while there are plenty of opportunities, they don't recommend doing it the first year given the intensity of the curriculum. I'm also not sure how much of a dent that would put in the tuition anyway. I was given all this info when notified of the acceptance. If they haven't give you any information on funding yet, I would definitely ask. I'm planning to call the financial aid office week to get additional details on my options--I'll let you know if I hear anything interesting. Good luck!

Congrats, salome!! I'll keep my fingers crossed in terms of funding--feels like the mail can't come soon enough each day. :) My POI mentioned that there was plenty of work to do (for $) if the funding wasn't enough, but it would be a nice luxury to have that first year to focus on coursework alone.

Congrats, salome!! I'll keep my fingers crossed in terms of funding--feels like the mail can't come soon enough each day. :) My POI mentioned that there was plenty of work to do (for $) if the funding wasn't enough, but it would be a nice luxury to have that first year to focus on coursework alone.

Hi XOwlfan.

I agree that the Sommer Scholars website is a little unclear for doctoral applicants.

I only received a tuition scholarship (with potential for increase in %), but I wasn't really expecting to receive a stipend. My area of interest is uncommon and not studied on a grand scale (i.e. no training grants). It seems like funding varies from one department to another. I'm sure you'll receive your funding info soon.

The letter arrived today: 50% tuition scholarship for the first three years and 75% for the fourth year. I love the program but will be accepting a better offer elsewhere. Good luck to all the other JHU admits!

The letter arrived today: 50% tuition scholarship for the first three years and 75% for the fourth year. I love the program but will be accepting a better offer elsewhere. Good luck to all the other JHU admits!

Hi XOwlfan.

Glad to hear that you finally got your funding info. That's similar to what I was offered as well, so JHSPH isn't ranked very high on my list. Good luck wherever you go!

Hi XOwlfan.

Glad to hear that you finally got your funding info. That's similar to what I was offered as well, so JHSPH isn't ranked very high on my list. Good luck wherever you go!

I have noted that those accepted into the biostats dept at Hopkins seem to be getting full funding including stipend [ results page] while an epidemiology admittance does not guarantee this.An idea why this is so?

I have noted that those accepted into the biostats dept at Hopkins seem to be getting full funding including stipend [ results page] while an epidemiology admittance does not guarantee this.An idea why this is so?

Hi epidemic.

The funding source for each department is going to be different, so the funding available to students will vary from one department to the next and each department seems to function independently. Also, across schools, there is variation in funding. Some schools guarantee funding for all accepted students while others (quite a lot) do not. A lot of the funding comes from NIH training grants which may require US citizenship. There may be more ways to be funded if you're a US citizen, but there still aren't any guarantees. There may be fewer GSR positions available to you at Pittsburgh, but I'd definitely suggest speaking with as many people as possible to see if anyone does have a position for an international student. If you wait until next year and reapply hoping for funding, you may just end up in the same situation. Good luck!