Low GRE scores.

Hey guys,i am new here...i just received my score report today

and this is my gre score

Verbal:630

Quantitative:730

AWA:3.5(26% percentile)

i am extremely shocked with my AWA as the percentile is ridiculously low.

Would these scores be enough for getting into colleges that have video game design courses(like digipen etc)..

I am contemplating on retaking the test and thought i'd get opinions from you guys before taking any decisions

• 3 months later...

If your biggest concern is your AW score, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Apparently most schools don't really pay attention to it unless you are an international student. I think your scores are sufficient, you may want to increase your Quant score a bit but I don't think that many points would hurt you too much.

• 6 months later...

Your GRE scores are better than mine for quantitative and verbal, except I did score a 6 on the writing portion. I got into the #1 and #2 schools for my program in the country even with my (low) GRE score (530Q 730V, 6W). I think you did fine. It does send off a tentative red flag, but if you present sound enough essays in your graduate application that should reassure them you understand how to communicate, and that your score is not really representative of your absolute capability. Maybe you had topics to write about that did not resonate with you, maybe you had an off day, who knows. If you can write a good statement, it will remove any question or reluctance regarding your writing skills I would think (though of course I am not on an admissions board). The GRE is not really meaningful, and more of a (shallow) check mark to see that your degree is worth the paper it is printed on. It does not make or break you unless you do much poorer than you did in my opinion. My take on it is that the quantitative section is far too easy (same as SAT with probability thrown in), and the verbal section is far too difficult for the test to be really meaningful.

If you would like though, and I cannot say I would not do this because I think I would, you can retake the exam. Note, that you cannot choose which scores you send into an institution. ETS sends in all your GRE scores you have ever taken (that have not expired) when you send score reports. So, if you get a low writing score again, it would reflect negatively on you.

(If it caused confusion above, I was commenting on my admissions from Fall 2008 when I first entered graduate school for a masters. I am applying to Ph.D. programs now [as it says in my 'application season' information on the left] after having taken some time away from school)

Edited by LawlQuals

• 2 months later...

I second stackoverflow. I wouldn't worry too much about the AW score. A 730 on Q could be a problem, since that places you into the 77th percentile. MOst graduate school place low weight in GRE score, and will overlook a poor GRE score if the applicant has strong GPA, ECs, etc.