CUNY reputation

lxs

Can anyone comment on the reputation of the CUNY Graduate Center? FYI, my field is art history. According to the Chronicle for Higher Ed, it's rated 9th for arthi, but I just want to be 110% certain of what I'm committing myself to. It seems like a solid program, but it's hard to get the idea out of my head that I HAVE to go to an Ivy if I'm ever going to get a job. It's my only offer and I think I am going to accept on Tuesday.

Hey! I am in the same situation as you. I was accepted into the Spanish program but am also in the waiting list at NYU. I didn't want to accept the offer cause I thought NYU has better reputation and wanted to wait to the very end just in case I could make it into NYU. I just went to check out the ranking you said and... CUNY is ranked number 3 in my field... :P Now, I don't really know what to do... Should I accept the offer and be able to finally sleep at night or should I wait????... What do you recommend me guys?? :roll: Any suggestion would be highly appreciated

CUNY kid here. I don't know about your particular field, but in general I think the power of the Ivies and top privates like NYU are overrated. CUNY is an overall excellent institution, and the Graduate Center has a strong reputation and track record. Generally their funding is at the top end of the spectrum as far as stipends go, but that is coupled with the fact that NYC is damned expensive! That being said, there are opportunities to make a bit more money over the summers with CUNY that extend the stipend dollars a bit.

CUNY kid here. I don't know about your particular field, but in general I think the power of the Ivies and top privates like NYU are overrated. CUNY is an overall excellent institution, and the Graduate Center has a strong reputation and track record. Generally their funding is at the top end of the spectrum as far as stipends go, but that is coupled with the fact that NYC is damned expensive! That being said, there are opportunities to make a bit more money over the summers with CUNY that extend the stipend dollars a bit.

thanks, I'm excited to hear this from someone already at CUNY! what's your field? I'll be headed there for art history.

I will be at Baruch for I/O Psychology, having done my BA at City College CUNY.

"Conformograd?" That's a good one. :lol:

As with all schools, it is all field/department dependent. Having met the faculty and looked into their research and backgrounds, I am very happy with my choice. And very happy to continue with CUNY, though turning down other choices was difficult.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use