Berkeley GSPP Results 2011

smerd

Has anyone else not received word from GSPP? I haven't gotten any emails and was (unpleasantly) surprised to not find a letter today. I live in Colorado, is there a reason a letter would get to the East Coast before it gets here?

Has anyone else not received word from GSPP? I haven't gotten any emails and was (unpleasantly) surprised to not find a letter today. I live in Colorado, is there a reason a letter would get to the East Coast before it gets here?

I'm in the same boat on the East Coast--no email or snail mail yet. I'm cautiously optimistic. Let's hope Monday brings good news!

snapback.pngOnEdge, on 05 March 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

They might be sending them out in batches. My last name begins with D so maybe that's why I got it earlier. No idea how this works.

I have a friend in DC who is still waiting to hear back from gspp and her name starts with M. She's freaking out but it sounds like if you haven't heard by email yet then that's a good sign.

snapback.pngOnEdge, on 05 March 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

They might be sending them out in batches. My last name begins with D so maybe that's why I got it earlier. No idea how this works.

I have a friend in DC who is still waiting to hear back from gspp and her name starts with M. She's freaking out but it sounds like if you haven't heard by email yet then that's a good sign.

I really don't think it has anything to do with last names, as my last name begins with "R" and I got an acceptance on Thursday. Right now the only thing that seems consistent is that people are getting rejected via email and accepted via snail mail. (International students are the only ones who seem to be getting email acceptances) Also, if you get an email from them asking for some kind of transcript or missing piece of your application (as I did on Monday/Tuesday of last week) then your chances of getting accepted seem pretty good. Other than that it seems pretty random. If you haven't heard from them via email rejection then I wouldn't get too down. You can still get an acceptance letter in the mail next week.

Well, this is interesting. I just got an email titled "IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: DATE CHANGE FOR GSPP OPEN HOUSE" that starts off "Dear MPP Admit..." so I guess I'm in. I haven't received anything in the mail but haven't been home to check yet, either. Pumped to get in, but a strange and roundabout way to find out!

Another interesting thing: the email is not bcc'd, so I have what I presume is a list of the email addresses of all admitted MPP students. If you're in limbo and wondering if you got in, you can PM me and tell me your email address and I can see if it's on the list, for what it's worth...

I have a question....I got an e-mail regarding the open house for admit students yesterday however I have not received an e-mail for a ding or an official letter in the mail saying that I was admitted to the program (I am an international student from Africa). Is this good news that I got in? Maybe? Perhaps? Or am I just getting myself excited for something that is not actually true. Oh well, just hoping and wishing. I sent an e-mail to Jalilah Labrie asking her if I got in though :( Fingers crossed......

I have a question....I got an e-mail regarding the open house for admit students yesterday however I have not received an e-mail for a ding or an official letter in the mail saying that I was admitted to the program (I am an international student from Africa). Is this good news that I got in? Maybe? Perhaps? Or am I just getting myself excited for something that is not actually true. Oh well, just hoping and wishing. I sent an e-mail to Jalilah Labrie asking her if I got in though :( Fingers crossed......

I'm in a similar situation, though I live in Chicago. My head nearly exploded when I saw that email.

Abogs - the same thing happened to me today. Luckily I was able to get home a few hours after that email and find a letter confirming my admission. Are you located in Africa right now? It seems like those living outside of the US were getting email notifications, whereas those living in the US were getting letters without any real geographic pattern, so I'm not sure. Bottom line though, I think if you got that email from Jaliilah, you're in.

Yeah, I would guess the same thing. If you haven't been dinged by email and you got that other email, then I would think you are in. Why would they send an invitation for "newly admitted students" to you if you hadn't been admitted?

Thanks for your posts guys! Yes, I am in Africa right now but I am guessing they sent my letter to my sister's address in the US since I put that as my temporary address. I have to call my sister then and hopefully the lady at the Goldman School will e-mail me back as well. Hopefully I will see you folks in Cali (although I am not sure how much money I got, if any :))

Yeah, I would guess the same thing. If you haven't been dinged by email and you got that other email, then I would think you are in. Why would they send an invitation for "newly admitted students" to you if you hadn't been admitted?

Just got my acceptance letter! I had to pick it up at the post office itself since they said the carrier couldn't get into my building for some reason. No funding, but I feel like this one was a long shot for me so I'm pretty thrilled to get an acceptance! Abogs, I hope you get the official word soon!

You guys were right. I got an official confirmation from Jalilah that I was accepted :) although my admission letter was sent to my sister's address in the US. So I am waiting until she gets it to see if I got any funding...fingers crossed. I am so excited! Good luck to other people.

P.S. Something interesting happened though, I got an e-mail from the student affairs office that I did not pay my application fee....I took care of it already though. Very interesting how my application got through without the application fee :blink:

Just got my acceptance letter! I had to pick it up at the post office itself since they said the carrier couldn't get into my building for some reason. No funding, but I feel like this one was a long shot for me so I'm pretty thrilled to get an acceptance! Abogs, I hope you get the official word soon!

You guys were right. I got an official confirmation from Jalilah that I was accepted :) although my admission letter was sent to my sister's address in the US. So I am waiting until she gets it to see if I got any funding...fingers crossed. I am so excited! Good luck to other people.

P.S. Something interesting happened though, I got an e-mail from the student affairs office that I did not pay my application fee....I took care of it already though. Very interesting how my application got through without the application fee :blink:

Congrats!! In without even paying the fee--that is particularly impressive, especially given the UC's budget problems! :)

Hi all, I'm a bit nervous about GSPP's recruiting attitude relative to other schools. Generally speaking, its not really that big of a deal that they never picked up their phone during admissions season, or the disorganization of the wrong Admit Day/not bcc'ing, or the financial aid office's email back to me with typos...

But, I just don't want this sort of treatment as a graduate student. I'm looking for a career services that's very interactive with students and professors that are very resourceful and not only focused on their own research.

Thoughts? Would love to get the insights of current students if they're on this chain!

Agree - I have the same concerns - also the fact the open house email was sent disclosing everyones email addresses is a bit of a faux pas. I havent received any funding from GSPP, and so I'm completely investing in my future, and want to go to a school with a strong careers service.

Any current students still floating on these boards? Any views on the careers services and support at GSPP, for both domestic and international jobs??

<P> </P>

I'm obviously not a current student there, but I went to one of the pre-application visit days at Berkeley and there were a couple of things I noticed. One is that if you're applying to schools like Harvard or other private schools out in the East Coast, I'm sure you're going to be disappointed by the facilities and some of the showmanship in terms of marketing that Berkeley does for its program. I've seen this myself when comparing the three pieces of paper that Berkeley sent in their admission "packet" to the two massive, full color brochures that USC sent in their admission packet. There's no question that Berkeley's facilities and marketing pales in comparison to those top tier private schools for whom they are competing for talent. I'm sure the HKS facilities are world class, while Berkeley's public policy program is basically two houses which looks unimpressive to the outside visitor but kind of encourages a more team/group-oriented, homely feel to the program.

However, when you see the quality of the faculty and the actual curriculum of the program, you will see what makes Berkeley's program so strong. They really made me feel like going to their program would give me a strong skillset and allow me to get a better job and help solve policy problems. I was also impressed at their placement rate, which is something like 95% for their grads after finishing the program. Whether their facilities and admission materials are pleasing to the eye or not, Berkeley is the greatest public insitution in the world, and their name means something. Goldman grads are able to land jobs and make an impact in their fields of study, and that's what we're ultimately going to graduate school for. I wouldn't hold some of these minor admission related glitches against them, because you have to realize that Berkeley is a public school and the university as a whole is struggling with budget issues. However, this does not impact the brand of the school and change the fact that the people at the program are some of the brightest minds in the country. These people (both faculty and students) help make Cal one of the best schools in the country, even if its not the prettiest.

Edited by Nimesis