UCSD 26k

Guest newbie_bio

sorry, yes, you will be fine.

that is a very nice stipend.

as with all grad students, you'll have to live cheaply (maybe find a roommate), but you will make do quite well on 26k.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ! That is exactly what I want to ask. I will have the fellowship of $1420 per month and asking for more. But they said that this is the same amount as some other Vietnamese students provided and they are still alive. Can anybody tell me how much will it cost ??

I also got offered $10K for my first year in a PhD program. I'm in the Humanities. The whole package includes a tuition (out-of-state) waiver and a health fee waiver. Plus, it's a rural area even though it's a college town.

I never thought about asking for a larger stipend... I'm hoping the external fellowship I applied for comes through. That would be awesome.

If not, I'll make it with that stipend and a ten-hour a week job. I also have a partner, so that will help with some income defencies.

I wouldn't know what to do with a stipend of 26K... That's totally sufficient for San Diego, Los Angeles, and even New York!

I'm a UCSD PhD and I get 1750 a month, and manage pretty well, and even get to put away $300 a month for savings. Granted, I live with a roommate and we cook most of the time. That said, I have a classmate living on the same stipend supporting a stay-at-home wife and young child.