Harvard Earth & Planetary Sciences/Yale Geology

planetparker

The Earth Sciences forum is pretty quiet so I thought it better to post here - I can see there have been a few results posted for Harvard Earth & Planetary Sciences now (and also Yale Geology & Geophysics). I applied to both and got the rejection from Yale last Friday by email (yet to find out exactly why), still waiting for my rejection notification from Harvard which I assume is winging its way to me across the pond by postal service which is why it is taking a bit longer to get here.

I was just wondering what the backgrounds are of my fellow applicants if any of you are willing to share details off the results forum (which I don't think is the best place to do it)? I don't know anyone else who is applying for a PhD/in these areas, so it is hard to judge whether I am wasting my time or in with some small chance!

My background is non-traditional: first degree from Cambridge University about 20 years' ago in Archaeology with high GPA when converted, then 17 years' work experience in investment banking, recent undergrad classes in geology (Distinctions) and will finish this second degree this year. GRE was not good, only 600 Q and 640 V, 5.0 AW, but I will take it again this year for the next application season. LORs are from my old professors, which are good but relate to a different subject. Of course no recent research experience or publications, so I probably didn't stand much of a chance. I am planning to do a Masters next year if I can afford it to redress these problems.

Commiserations to those who got rejected as well, and congratulations to those who did get in (haven't seen many on this board though).:unsure:

Hello!

Been checking the results page and lurking around the forums for what seems like ages now, and finally registered so I can reply. I applied to Harvard EPS too, but haven't heard anything back yet. I am very much expecting a rejection letter in the post box when I get home today :( though I bet it takes longer to cross the pond.

I haven't heard anything from any of my other three schools either, though there has been an acceptance or two posted for each in early February. Shall I just work on my plan B, or hold out hope?

I didn't apply to either of these schools (I hang on the edge of environmental science, biology and geology and applied to environmental and geology programs), but I just wanted to pop in and say best of luck that the applications are surprise admissions!

If they aren't admissions, my best advice is to have a back-up plan thought out. And if you're still interested last year, I don't think there's a problem with re-applying, I certainly did it. I was actually universally rejected from PhD programs the last two times I applied (granted, I only applied to one program last year, I applied to like 7 the previous year). In between the first application round and now, I worked on a Master's and have done a fair amount of research for that and any other projects I can pick up, as well as volunteered with various environmental-type things. So far, this year is turning out better!

Again, best of luck and don't give up hope until you get the letter, but start looking into your back-up plans, just in case. Never hurts to b prepared.

I didn't apply to either of these schools (I hang on the edge of environmental science, biology and geology and applied to environmental and geology programs), but I just wanted to pop in and say best of luck that the applications are surprise admissions!

If they aren't admissions, my best advice is to have a back-up plan thought out. And if you're still interested last year, I don't think there's a problem with re-applying, I certainly did it. I was actually universally rejected from PhD programs the last two times I applied (granted, I only applied to one program last year, I applied to like 7 the previous year). In between the first application round and now, I worked on a Master's and have done a fair amount of research for that and any other projects I can pick up, as well as volunteered with various environmental-type things. So far, this year is turning out better!

Again, best of luck and don't give up hope until you get the letter, but start looking into your back-up plans, just in case. Never hurts to b prepared.

Thanks for the encouragement, it gives me hope for next year! On the plus side, this has been a valuable experience as a practice run, I will apply to more schools next time and at least I know what to expect of the process.

parker: Yup, applying to more schools might be a better strategy; may I ask why only Harvard & Yale? I'm guessing your interests lie in hard-rock geology?--Yale doesn't have too great of a biological emphasis, so I'm not familiar with the department there. Good luck with the GRE and your applications next year!

I also have a non-traditional background (undergraduate degree in life sciences) for Earth science programs, but at all the places I've applied to, it hasn't mattered too much. Having some geochemistry research experience also helps, I guess.

Feel free to come hang out in the Earth sci. subforum--we don't post much, but that doesn't mean we don't check it often! :D

• 10 months later...