back to back interview/visits = bad idea?

neuropsych76

So I have an acceptance from school A and was offered a visit. The problem is that this school's visit day is the day before school B's interview weekend is. School A is kind of far away so it might be possible to make both events if I don't sleep for a night :P

I'm much more interested in school A and I'm mostly just going to school B to check it out.

The thing is that school B has a 3 day interview weekend. Is it okay if I miss the first 1.5 days and only attend the actual interview (i'd be missing a dinner and "fun night with grad students")? I've already had a topic on here asking if I should even go to school B's interview but now since school A is directly affecting my trip, I've gone back to doubt land.

any advice is appreciated :)

Edited by neuropsych76

Were you at the grad student dinner for school X (that we both interviewed for - wink wink)? I can tell you that it was probably the most helpful dinner, esp. since the next day was so poorly organized and I barely had time to talk much with the grad students. However at another school I interviewed at we met grad students during lab tours and meetings, and the dinner happened AFTER that so it wasn't very helpful. So I think if you have the grad students on your interview schedule, or figure you can get a chance to talk to them later, it's fine to skip the dinner.

Good luck! heard from school X yet??

Were you at the grad student dinner for school X (that we both interviewed for - wink wink)? I can tell you that it was probably the most helpful dinner, esp. since the next day was so poorly organized and I barely had time to talk much with the grad students. However at another school I interviewed at we met grad students during lab tours and meetings, and the dinner happened AFTER that so it wasn't very helpful. So I think if you have the grad students on your interview schedule, or figure you can get a chance to talk to them later, it's fine to skip the dinner.

Good luck! heard from school X yet??

Haha, very true. I think I learned more at that dinner than the actual interview day. :) But this upcoming interview is 3 days long! I feel like I could miss one day and not lose much grad school student interaction because there is a whole day of empty space (i'm guessing i'll meet with more grad students then).

Still no news on school X... sigh. this long of a wait can't be a good sign!

Edited by neuropsych76

I think missing a day and going to school B fresh would be a lot more effective than going to school B after a night with no sleep--I can't imagine you'd remember much of the first day in the latter situation! :)

I think I'll just skip the first day since I'll still have plenty of time at school B and it makes the trip much easier. I could change school A's visit if I had to but since both visits fall on spring break it makes it so much easier to do it all in one swoop :)

One follow up question... is it okay to let school B know I'm missing part of their interview for another school? Is this frowned upon?