Lausanne, Switzerland

Omidba

Hi,

I got admitted from EPFL at Lausanne, Could any one tell me about this city?

Thanks

Congrats,

My sources say it is a great place to live. I have applied to EPFL as well but I have not heard back as of yet. Can you share your application info please?

Edited by merg

Congrats,

My sources say it is a great place to live. I have applied to EPFL as well but I have not heard back as of yet. Can you share your application info please?

I apologize for the late reply.

GPA:19.20/20(3.97/4)

GRE(V\Q\W):310,800,3

TOEFL IBT:94(R:22,L:26,S:22,W:24)

B.Sc. from Sharif Univ. of Tech, Tehran, Iran.

• 4 years later...

Hi , has anyone lived/studied in Lausanne?? I am thinking of applying in EPFL and it would be very helpful if someone could give an estimation regarding the cost of living..

Also , how easy is to live in this city if you speak English only ??

• 5 weeks later...

Hi , has anyone lived/studied in Lausanne?? I am thinking of applying in EPFL and it would be very helpful if someone could give an estimation regarding the cost of living..

Also , how easy is to live in this city if you speak English only ??

Yes, I lived there. The cost of living is (very) expensive. If you are relying on outside funds in any currency other than Swiss Francs, things will seem very expensive. If, however, you have a salary in Swiss Francs you will feel very wealthy (since the economic crisis the CHF has risen in value hugely, thus if you get paid in CHF your money is worth more everywhere).

Apartment prices in Lausanne range between 500-99999 CHF/month. 500 will mean sharing a room in an apartment with others and you are quite unlikely to find such a place for that price in the centre of the city (though possible); you may find something nearer EPFL, which is not in the centre, or in bordering towns (Renens, etc.). Studios are usually 1000 CHF + and small, though you might find one for 800-900. The one bedroom + living room + kitchen etc., scenario is going to hit you for at the very least 1500 if you are lucky.... Again if you have contacts you can find somewhere great cheaper but you need time + contacts.

Food is quite expensive in general. Restaurants exceptionally so, and bars also. Best to cook and drink at home and head to bars only if you need to.

Transport is the only fairly cheap and reliable thing.

It's easy to live in Lausanne speaking only English.